First Muzzle Loader Questions - CVA Accura LRX 50. Caliber

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Path, I am curious how you handle hauling such a rifle in a vehicle?

I have a cabin in Colorado, so many days I go back to the cabin sometime in the middle of the day, and then again in the evening. Even when we don’t do back to base during the day, we can move to a different area and so traveling with a gun in the truck is a common necessity.

I don’t see how that could be done legally without totally unloading the gun each time. I am not trying to start an argument, the concept intrigues me, and I am really curious.

For CVA Rifles

The ASG LRMP Module Breech Plug has an .035" Orifice. You simply remove the LRMP Module & put it in your Pocket. The Powder can't spill out.

On the Hankins DI Ignition you need to Replace the Module Screw with a "Travel" Module or Spent Module Screw so the Powder doesn't Spill out.
Please see Video Below

https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/direct-ignition-omega.41328

So I would not be that interested in the DI design because of having to unscrew the module with 12 revolutions. I am not a fan of his comments “you shouldn’t need a second shot” either. Cause sometimes you do!

That said, how do you change out the asg lrmp module breech in the field. What tool and how long does it take? Can’t find a video of that.

So I would not be that interested in the DI design because of having to unscrew the module with 12 revolutions. I am not a fan of his comments “you shouldn’t need a second shot” either. Cause sometimes you do!

That said, how do you change out the asg lrmp module breech in the field. What tool and how long does it take? Can’t find a video of that.
Not sure what you're asking.

Arrowhead Gen2 LRMP CVA Replacement Breech Plug – Arrowhead Rifles

Description says:
Requires use of primer extraction tool (or flat head screw driver) to pop modules loose after firing.

Where is the best place to get these accessories? Thinking online since I haven't found much ML stuff in person here.
What size patches do you use for .50 caliber?
I am leaning toward weighing just to be as consistent as possible, but will try both measuring and weighing.
Re: the range rod, this is for cleaning right? Could I use a Dewey rod like I used on my centerfire rifles? Do people use bore guides to protect the bore from damage from the rod?
The tubes to hold powder, what are those called and where to find them?
I will definitely need those loading tips for pointed bullets as that's what I anticipate using for hunting.

Thanks for answering a million questions and providing such helpful suggestions on accessories.

Truly grateful!

keep in mind i new to this and haven't fired a shot from my ML yet ....... but i just got a bunch of stuff from midwayUSA because they had everything i wanted (except for powder tubes) in stock . and i luv that cva lifetime range rod !

https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/got-all-my-stuff-together.41522/
i got my powder tubes from amazon .

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09GZK1PZ1?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

With this issue, I sound like a novice (because I am), but I have actually been muzzleloading for over 35 years. Due to some medical issues (the big C) I have been mostly out for the last 2 years. Things are better now, so getting back in. Will think about this since I hunt mostly with BH 209. Elk hunt with BH this fall!
Still use 777 in my side-lock (renegade) and my White (whitetail hunter) though.

To be more specific: how do you change the arrowhead primer and how long does it take. The BI screw in one would seem to take too long. That’s a lot of work between each shot.
The module with the spent primer simply pulls out of the breach plug and then you just replace it with a module with a fresh primer in it. To replace the spent primer inside of the module you will need some tools such as a hand held case priming tool. Get ahold of Arrowhead and I'm sure they'll point you in the right direction.

Great. I ordered a 26 inch Optima V2. Yeah, I look forward to playing around with different loads. I am sure I will have more questions once I start tinkering around.

Thanks!
I have the Optima and feel you've made a good choice. Mine loves the full bore 300 grn Thor bullet. Very accurate and they are also quite pricey. For range time I shoot the 300 grn xtp's with a short black harvester sabot.

Thank you everyone for your messages, insight, and candor. I appreciate each and every response. I am working my way through the messages and I am sure will have more questions as I begin learning my new rifle.

The rifle arrived today!!! I ordered bullets and a bunch of other accessories and once those arrive I think I'll be ready to fire my first shots.

Thanks! Couldn't have gotten this far without all your help.

My Accura loves Winchester 209 primers. No blowback with standard BH 209 breechplug from CVA. Of course I haven't seen any on the shelves for a long while. Fortunately, I had a brick hidden away in my shotgun reloading supplies.

Back