flashpan powder

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danwhitejr

Reaction score
I am going to try a flintlock rifle but cannot find flashpan powder and would like to know if I can crush fffg to a finer powder to use a flash powder?

danwhitejr said:
I am going to try a flintlock rifle but cannot find flashpan powder and would like to know if I can crush fffg to a finer powder to use a flash powder?

Goex 4F is what you need. I would not do the other.

Crushing 3f to finer has been done, but be careful. Your tools must be spark-free (no steel) and static-free. Black powder will explode even if unconfined.

You could just use 3f in the pan as well.

reading elsewhere, i found some discussions on crushing blackpowder to make it a finer granulation. apparently this was more effective back in the day, before they had modern coating/dusting (graphite, maybe?) on the blackpowder granules. if you try to crush goex, you'll mess up the coating, and make the powder more ineffective.

no first-hand experience, btw, just regurgitating what ive heard elsewhere.

danwhitejr said:

That would be unsmart. No way can you get the consisistent screen size of commercially available FFFFg.

Having used a flintlock for many years out of neccesity (live in PA) if a gun shop sells black powder they can order 4 f in for you. They may look at you like you have a third eye but ask them to order you a pound. A pound will last you about 300 years though. Some guys in PA use 3 f as flash pan powder especially in wet/damp conditions as it seems not to draw moisture as quickly as 4 f. I hunted in New Mexico and flew there. Yes in an airplane. Since I could not take any powder My son-in-law went to his local gun shop and picked up a pound of 3F and when he asked for some 4f the clerk said he never heard of it. They did order some and I got it that way.

Latest posts

Back