Pyrodex P (FFFG) powder Question.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AS FAR AS PYRODEX RS P Select let me share the education I received, NOW keep in mind RIFLE USE, I will say I was amused, educated and YES from the rifle, I can second his findings.

It will work just fine, loaded by volume compared to black powder. Clean the rifle the best you can, it's hardly good enough so do it again. It'll shoot just fine. When I first got around muzzle loaders 70 years ago that's all we could buy here and it worked just fine. If you find you like firing this old rifle, that's the time to start pursuing other powders, perhaps other balls or bullets and different loads.
Squint

Exactly what kind of powder did you have to buy back then? 70 years ago black powder was it, so is that what you're referring to? A friend gave me three cans of Pyrodex (previously opened) years ago so I have no idea concerning its previous storage or age. I tried it in two revolvers and one rifle and the results were disappointing. Maybe if it had been fresh or stored correctly the performance would have been more like what I'd hoped for.

Exactly what kind of powder did you have to buy back then? 70 years ago black powder was it, so is that what you're referring to? A friend gave me three cans of Pyrodex (previously opened) years ago so I have no idea concerning its previous storage or age. I tried it in two revolvers and one rifle and the results were disappointing. Maybe if it had been fresh or stored correctly the performance would have been more like what I'd hoped for.
thanks for the reply Hanshi.
The first person I was around with a Muzzleloader was a good friend 32 years older than I was and would have been 68 years old. He sent and got a kit and we put a 36 caliber percussion together. It was too small of a caliber for deer, so he decided to sell it to another old fellow and ordered a 45-caliber Percussion kit. he bought the powder down at the local hardware store Along with the balls as we didn't have a mold so we just had them order a pound as we not did know anything about what we were doing and that's what he got us. My memory being what it is, it had to have been 1975 so I thought it was probably 1960 but when I stop and think about it I know I was married and I wasn't married in 1960. I remember it was brand new powder as we didn't have any gun stores here at that time, anyway not within 50 miles of where we lived. The hardware store where he bought the powder from was where I bought my first reloading equipment in 1959. I believe the rifle was made in Japan and there was nothing wrong with it, but it wasn't really accurate we at least didn't know how to make it accurate. He must have had a scale that we used or a decent measure, I don't remember anymore but we never did blow anything up and I borrowed it once to hunt antelope along with about that same time though I didn't get one. He did succeed in shooting a deer not long after we built the gun the only thing it ever killed. He passed away in 1983. It was 14 years later that I got my first one, a TC 50 kit left hand.
Squint

thanks for the reply Hanshi.
The first person I was around with a Muzzleloader was a good friend 32 years older than I was and would have been 68 years old. He sent and got a kit and we put a 36 caliber percussion together. It was too small of a caliber for deer, so he decided to sell it to another old fellow and ordered a 45-caliber Percussion kit. he bought the powder down at the local hardware store Along with the balls as we didn't have a mold so we just had them order a pound as we not did know anything about what we were doing and that's what he got us. My memory being what it is, it had to have been 1975 so I thought it was probably 1960 but when I stop and think about it I know I was married and I wasn't married in 1960. I remember it was brand new powder as we didn't have any gun stores here at that time, anyway not within 50 miles of where we lived. The hardware store where he bought the powder from was where I bought my first reloading equipment in 1959. I believe the rifle was made in Japan and there was nothing wrong with it, but it wasn't really accurate we at least didn't know how to make it accurate. He must have had a scale that we used or a decent measure, I don't remember anymore but we never did blow anything up and I borrowed it once to hunt antelope along with about that same time though I didn't get one. He did succeed in shooting a deer not long after we built the gun the only thing it ever killed. He passed away in 1983. It was 14 years later that I got my first one, a TC 50 kit left hand.
Squint

Squint, Thanks for the interesting journey down memory lane. I can recall just how ignorant I was when I got my first one around '66 or so. There was very little information and instruction in those days and I, too, had to learn fast and on the fly. I was fortunate to come across a little information here and there but I was basically self taught. I still have that first rifle but no longer shoot it; I gradually acquired a few better ones for that. But with that .45 underhammer I did kill a couple of bobcats, a few squirrels and a deer. Now that old, reliable rifle has earned its retirement and more. Take care, my friend.

Back