Pyrodex P (FFFG) powder Question.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all.

I've owned a CVA muzzleloader for about 15 yrs. & never used or shot it.

The Muzzle loader is a 50 cal.

I've got about 1# of the Pyrodex P (fffg) pistol powder I bought for my black powder pistols.

Is it ok to usex the loose Pyrodex P (fffg) pistol powder in the rifle?

Reading a bit it looks like a few poeple do use it.....

Thanks.

I hate Pyrodex- smells horrible, and is dirtier than Triple Seven. You could use it with your rifle, but I would just get a can of Triple Seven and avoid the stench and extra fouling. That's my opinion of Pyrodex.

Hello all.

I've got about 1# of the Pyrodex P (fffg) pistol powder I bought for my black powder pistols.

Thanks.
It will work just fine, loaded by volume compared to black powder. Clean the rifle the best you can, it's hardly good enough so do it again. It'll shoot just fine. When I first got around muzzle loaders 70 years ago that's all we could buy here and it worked just fine. If you find you like firing this old rifle, that's the time to start pursuing other powders, perhaps other balls or bullets and different loads.
Squint

Hello all.

Thanks.
I have used it and still will when I can't find whitehot pellets. You don't need a special breech plug for it only need a special plug for.the black horn powder.

If you've shot it in your pistols, then you are aware of the corrosiveness. As for the rifle, go ahead and shoot it. Pyrodex, by today's standards, is a very mild, almost low powered, powder so its safe to shoot in the long gun.

Oh, and welcome aboard.

I’ve got 777 50/50 pellets and some pyrodex 50/30 pellets also….just thinking it be nice to use up the loose pyrodex p powder first.
I’d do that. It works just fine and I’ve not seen it to be more or less corrosive than black powder.. I like 3f in most patent breech side locks as it seems to flow into the flash channel easier given better ignition.

Use what you got. Pyrodex works but like everyone else said, very dirty, smelly, corrosive. Get some T7 atleast if you CAN, but make do with what you got. Stay on top of cleaning for sure, when shooting T7 I only shoot 2 shots max @ the range then I clean it.

Since my first interest in muzzle loaders, all I was aware of was a percussion and that's what I shot for some years and that's what my friend shot before that that got me interested. Anyway, I then got into Flint locks, and that's a whole different operation. But I never did try pyrodex in my flintlock, cause i was told it wouldn't work and yet i used some of shockley's gold and that would work but it had a noticeable hang fire effect I didn't try it very much. I will when spring comes, if things work out for me at all, to see if pyrodex will work in a flint lock. I do use 4F for priming and that should make quite a difference so, I'm glad to have some more experimenting to do.
Squint

Since my first interest in muzzle loaders, all I was aware of was a percussion and that's what I shot for some years and that's what my friend shot before that that got me interested. Anyway, I then got into Flint locks, and that's a whole different operation. But I never did try pyrodex in my flintlock, cause i was told it wouldn't work and yet i used some of shockley's gold and that would work but it had a noticeable hang fire effect I didn't try it very much. I will when spring comes, if things work out for me at all, to see if pyrodex will work in a flint lock. I do use 4F for priming and that should make quite a difference so, I'm glad to have some more experimenting to do.
Squint
About 5 grains of 4f under your Pyrodex will set er off.

About 5 grains of 4f under your Pyrodex will set er off.

Thanks deermanok. I'm sure that would. I've always went with black in my Flintlock, I'm sure it would be better in my other rifles too, problem is I can't buy any in the whole state, as far as I know, and I have to depend upon other people to pick it up for me elsewhere so I'm pretty careful about using black just for everything. Clean up doesn't make any difference in all the powders I use, and i have tried everything I can get ahold of that is supposed to work and I find that 777 is the easiest to get a hold of for my percussion and it shoots well. I don't nickel and dime it to death, it cost a little more than what I could order black by in large quantities but I can guarantee I never got into this game to save money. I don't have a lot of 4F, probably enough to last me for what I use it for for some time. It also works beautiful to put under the nipple when I forget and do a dry ball. I seem to be able to do that on a regular basis.
Squint

What state do you live in Squint?..... Oklahoma?

Nothing wrong with using Pyrodex P when real black is not available in your area.

I only use real black and White Hots these days. My powders stay dry year-to-year, if I maintain my home humidity level at 60% or lower (basement dehumidifier).

Humidity is a big problem in the northern Midwest where I live. Gun safe with a couple charcoal canisters that I recharge bi-monthly works for me. It's a secondary precaution I live by.

Last edited:

Nothing wrong with using Pyrodex P when real black is not available in your area.

I only use real black and White Hots these days. My powders stay dry year-to-year, if I maintain my home humidity level at 60% or lower (basement dehumidifier).

Humidity is a big problem in the northern Midwest where I live. Gun safe with a couple charcoal canisters that I recharge bi-monthly works for me. It's a secondary precaution I live by.

Eidiablo is right, about central Montana, a little close to Canada. These days Spend quite a bit of time shooting muzzle loaders, I was down the road of shooting modern rifles, hand loading, chronographing speeds and experiment with all of that kind of stuff, gave it up around 2000, been playing with first percussion, and then flint. I've made my own mini balls and round balls for several years now. Seems like I need to stay busy. Archery hunted from1967 till last year, but give that up now. Married 60 years, 4 good kids, dozen grandkids, all most a dozen greats. It's been a good run. By the way, when I first started all you could buy around here was pyrodex for muzzle loaders and I never had any problems with it. I guess I've got some that I've had for over 30 years and it still works. I don't do much chronographing with muzzle loaders but I think I'll start this spring.
Squint

Back