found some powder and primers today

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so i'm looking at powder flask and measurers and these have caught my eye ....

https://www.amazon.com/Thompson-Center-U-View-Powder-Measure/dp/B000HE5CC0
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WNKJWM9/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3ITO9003771TW&psc=1
are they decent quality ?

i was considering this instead of the flask but i'm concerned about possible moisture getting in my powder . is that a legit concern or should i be fine with it ?

https://www.amazon.com/Thompson-Cen...ee-f4f4-429a-b600-f47a013d84d0&pd_rd_wg=Xe3w6
thanks , jeff

Last edited:
I have a couple of the brass ones.
I also have a bit of a collection of powder measures, both fixed and adjustable.
Take a look at Muzzle-Loaders.com
I think they have a good selection as does Track of Wolf Muzzleloaders

They will work just fine! I have a CVA brass flask, but hardly use it. I pour directly from the powder bottle with funnel, into powder measure then into speed loaders or powder tubes then into the barrel. The Powder Measures I use is the TC brass measure with sliding cut off funnels. My old one is all brass the newer one is brass with a plastic (polymer?) sliding scale. Both through the same loads every time!

Looks like your finding out how expensive this hobby is! :lewis: I started back in 1993, still my favorite sport!!

Last edited:
thanks folks . i think i picked up a side job today taking off some old very unsafe steps on a deck and building a new set for her . but yeah ..... getting set up with shinny new stuff adds up quick . i certainly could spend less and make due with less but i like my toys . i know guns aren't toys but y'all know what i mean .

Deermanok you have some very cool toys !

thanks again , jeff

Last edited:
thanks folks . i think i picked up a side job today taking off some old very unsafe steps on a deck and building a new set for her . but yeah ..... getting set up with shinny new stuff adds up quick . i certainly could spend less and make due with less but i like my toys . i know guns aren't toys but y'all know what i mean .

Deermanok you have some very cool toys !

thanks again , jeff
Thanks, a few of my things I made myself from deer antlers and cow horn, so basically free.

You’re on the right track. As Toytruck said above, I’d get a funnel top (I like the Hodgdon one better than the TC/CVA/Muzzle-Loaders style top) for your powder bottle, a brass funnel top cut-off volumetric measure (I’ve been using the same one for 30 years) and some speed loaders. I have one of the funnel tops you linked to above. Its fine but the little plastic keeper strap is already broken after about a year. I have one of the clear TC measures also (I use it as a backup) and its fine but the brass one is bombproof. I think the only advantage of the clear plastic measure is that you can see that its full or empty when you dump it. But if you tap it while filling and tap it when dumping thats not an issue.

Thats all you’ll need. The extra powder is better off in its original bottle than in a flask. No sense in carrying extra powder in a flask when hunting with an inline - just take a few speed loaders.
6334F19E-BDE9-4451-986B-37CDB301313B.jpeg5F49697B-A980-4021-B062-9E34020803F9.jpeg

I have a collection of items gathered over the years. I like the traditional deer horn measures and mine run from 80gr to 55grs, I also have brass ones in the same range, one adjustable one for testing loads, and a brass priming horn., and brass funnel. First pics show some of the measures and other items and the second two pics show my small day bag & items I use in it, with attached horn of mine, ball block ,deer horn measure etc. The second bag is bigger with separate engraved/engrailed horn, custom Running Fox patch knife , ball block, deer horn measure. I carry flint wallets in each with a wrought iron lock tool. I have deer skin balls bags in each pouch when I need more than the bullet block. Usualyl when hunting I don't need them, the block is enough. I have various picks, brushes etc the usual stuff, a small brass priming flask & an oiler in each bag.

Attachments

• Black Powder stuff.jpg
    Black Powder stuff.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Black Powder Stuff 3.jpg
    Black Powder Stuff 3.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 7
  • black powder stuff 4.jpg
    black powder stuff 4.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 6
i have a digital scale i use for arrows and broadheads . are these decent powder tubes ?

https://www.amazon.com/ELK-Muzzlelo...0+black+powder+speedloader,sporting,93&sr=1-6
i could weigh them up at home . and with 20 of them i could do 3-4 in 5 grain increments starting at 60-70 grains to find the sweet spot for my bullets and then have plenty on hand for hunting or probably paper punching till my shoulder has had enough for a day .

Remember that many people feel (IMHO) that it is not about the destination, but the journey. BP shooting is about taking your time and enjoying the trip! It is not about how many rounds you can shoot till you fall over etc. Again, just my opinion. That is why of you look at my post above you will see I carry a bullet block that has three balls pre patched , ready to go, with one down the tube that makes 4 in total. I I do not get my deer with 4 rounds, I call it a day, and go home! Rarely do you get to reload when hunting for a second shot at the same animal. Most animals will not stand around that long waiting for you!

Those should be fine. A lot of competition shooters weigh their charges. Volume or weight is a big topic of discussion by muzzleloaders. Either way, as long as you're consistent, you'll be fine.

thanks . i wasn't implying taking 20 shots at a deer or being in a hurry . i figure if i can't secure a deer with 2 or 3 shots i need to go home , practice more to figure out what i'm doing wrong and come back another day . the last thing i want is wounded animals suffering because of my ignorance .

i have a digital scale i use for arrows and broadheads . are these decent powder tubes ?

https://www.amazon.com/ELK-Muzzlelo...0+black+powder+speedloader,sporting,93&sr=1-6
i could weigh them up at home . and with 20 of them i could do 3-4 in 5 grain increments starting at 60-70 grains to find the sweet spot for my bullets and then have plenty on hand for hunting or probably paper punching till my shoulder has had enough for a day .

Those will work but they are way more expensive than you need. The Lanes Tubes (or something similar) are what many of us are using. Its worth mentioning that vials with volume lines on them are basically worthless for actually measuring powder accurately. Measure it in a real measure and store it in these:

D46626BF-67AB-4D3A-895B-F6498567ACB6.jpeg

Lanes tubes are the way to go. He will even give you cap color options so you will know at a glance if the vial has 70grs or 75grs, etc. Preload them at home before a range session and it makes things that much easier. I also use them when hunting. One filled with 2 bullets and the others with powder. They stay dry.
John

thanks . i wasn't implying taking 20 shots at a deer or being in a hurry . i figure if i can't secure a deer with 2 or 3 shots i need to go home , practice more to figure out what i'm doing wrong and come back another day . the last thing i want is wounded animals suffering because of my ignorance .
The " securing a deer with 2-3 shots " when hunting with a ML you have 1 shot to " make count ". I'm no " expert marksman " by any means, but something I learned from the very beginning, shooting at 7yrs old with a breech-loading single-shot .410. I had to learn how to hit everything from squirrels, doves & pigeons, quail, rabbits, with that gun only, for my first about 5 yrs of shooting. I had no idea of how important the lesson that I didn't know & was really learning on the snipers creed " one shot, one kill " & the old " aim small, miss small " was instilled in me. Even when I got my first 12ga pump, when I shot, I never would pump another round in the chamber, I never counted on or relied on having more than the first shot at anything. - I wasn't use to doin that, & really, 99% of the time, I didn't need another shot unless I was shooting at another critter. That carried over into my muzzleloader shooting perfectly. That mindset needs to be there when ML hunting. Enjoy your shooting & learning progress, hopefully it leads to a lifetime of it.

Back