found some powder and primers today

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
with shipping the lanes are $14.75 on eekbay and i'll have to open an account there .....

i didn't clarify that i meant clean misses ...but i agree with what you shared .
thanks , jeff

I prefer the T/C powder measure because it is clear. Sometimes powder can "bridge" when you pour in into the barrel. When you have something like a brass measure your can't physically see when it's empty when you're pouring. This could cause you to think you have all the powder poured down the barrel when you don't.

so i'm looking at powder flask and measurers and these have caught my eye ....

https://www.amazon.com/Thompson-Center-U-View-Powder-Measure/dp/B000HE5CC0
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WNKJWM9/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3ITO9003771TW&psc=1
are they decent quality ?

i was considering this instead of the flask but i'm concerned about possible moisture getting in my powder . is that a legit concern or should i be fine with it ?

https://www.amazon.com/Thompson-Cen...ee-f4f4-429a-b600-f47a013d84d0&pd_rd_wg=Xe3w6
thanks , jeff
I have the 1350 cylinder shaped one. Can get different capacity spouts. Works well tho the thumb toggle on mine has a pretty strong spring and as the arthritis in my thumb progresses I can see switching to something else. Also when you cover the tip with your finger your skin pushes into the spout a little so the charge is a couple or few grains less than the spout capacity. It is handy tho in that I can use it to easily fill a brass or the plastic one you show charge tube to consistent volume

I prefer the T/C powder measure because it is clear. Sometimes powder can "bridge" when you pour in into the barrel. When you have something like a brass measure your can't physically see when it's empty when you're pouring. This could cause you to think you have all the powder poured down the barrel when you don't.
Good point! I always wonder about a "air bubble" and always tap the charge tube but still wonder since I can't see the powder column

I have a cheap brass powder measurer & the clear T/C measurer. I like the clear much better. I just got the clear flask as well.

Isn't that why you 'tap" the heel of the rifle on the ground a few times to make sure things have settled? I can not ever remember having my powder hang up, and I use deer antler or brass measures all the time. i pour from the horn into the measure, measure into the barrel, tap a few times, ready to load patch n ball. Am i missing something? I am talking traditional cap lock or flinter.

thanks folks . went back this morning to get af ew more packs of the federal 209's and H&Y had 2 packs of the federal 209 primers left so i got both of them , so now i have 400 of them . i mentioned i got the wrong powder the other day when i got 3 bottles of the pyrodex RS powder because i didn't think i could use 777 fffg powder in the optima and he asked if i used any yet and told him no and he said if i wanted to bring it back and pay the difference that i could . i didn't expect that ! just got back with the three bottles of 777 fffg :) . he has two bottles left and i might go get them when i get paid for my little side job today . i saw comments here about primers and powder being hard to find so i figure i better stock up while i can . H&Y will definitely be getting more of my business !

Isn't that why you 'tap" the heel of the rifle on the ground a few times to make sure things have settled? I can not ever remember having my powder hang up, and I use deer antler or brass measures all the time. i pour from the horn into the measure, measure into the barrel, tap a few times, ready to load patch n ball. Am i missing something? I am talking traditional cap lock or flinter.
MAN O MAN P{EASE DONT tap your gun on the ground just bump it on the side a few times with the palm of your handopposite the lock been doing that way for 40 years it works

about 45ish years ago we lived in oklahoma for about a year in a little town called Salina a little ways from Tulsa .
i remember it being beautiful !
living in the mountains of Tazewell Va reminds me of it .

about 45ish years ago we lived in oklahoma for about a year in a little town called Salina a little ways from Tulsa .
i remember it being beautiful !
living in the mountains of Tazewell Va reminds me of it .
It's funny you say that, before we moved here from Connecticut, we made several trips to southwest Virginia. The mountains there are very much like here. Kinda reminds me of Vermont too.
Alot of people I know from back east have this image of Oklahoma being flat land and treeless.

placed my order with midway . i called to be sure that what their online store showed was available ... actually is available . supposed to be delivered between the 9th and 12th .... so now the wait begins . i'll be shooting by next weekend . talked to my bro-n-law steve that gave/lent me the optima and were gonna get together so he can make sure i do everything correctly .

i wanted to order from muzzle-loaders.com but they are OOS on a lot of stuff and about half of what i wanted .

Last edited:
The " securing a deer with 2-3 shots " when hunting with a ML you have 1 shot to " make count ". I'm no " expert marksman " by any means, but something I learned from the very beginning, shooting at 7yrs old with a breech-loading single-shot .410. I had to learn how to hit everything from squirrels, doves & pigeons, quail, rabbits, with that gun only, for my first about 5 yrs of shooting. I had no idea of how important the lesson that I didn't know & was really learning on the snipers creed " one shot, one kill " & the old " aim small, miss small " was instilled in me.
FWIW, When my shoulder would still let me hunt during archery season, I practiced daily at ranges out to 60 yards (barebow) . . . with one arrow. Having to walk 50 - 120 yards round trip to recover my arrow on every single shot, trained me to make the first and only shot in the field accurate .

With MLs, after the gun is zeroed; placing my powder, bullets, etc. in a safe location out near the target (at 25-100 yards) and having to walk there and back every time I reload, focuses my mind into "the zone" just like archery practice did.

Of course, these ML "hunting practice" sessions are done while alone for safety reasons.

I'm way to lazy for all that walking . I have a replaced knee and hip and I'm gonna have to get my other knee replaced at some point . I also have arthritis in my shoulder so I have a crossbow rather than a vertical . Building decks and wood fences took a toll on me but I'm still kicking 😅

my funnel and charge tubes came from amazon today . the pyrodex funnel fits perfectly on the 777 powder bottle ... which make sense since they are both hodgdon bottles . and the elk charge tubes came also . they come with a nice case with snaps on each end and foam in the top to keep them from rattling around and they also have nice tight rubber stoppers with two sealing flanges .

midwayUSA tracking says my stuff from them will be delivered tomorrow . when i ordered i was told between the 12th and 15th so we'll see about tomorrow . sooo ....... i may get to shoot the optima this weekend after all . really looking forward to my first time ever pulling the trigger on a muzzle loader :) .

Back