Got a brace on a gun?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
there was a definite swing after parents couldn't whip their kids (not to be confused with beating) and young non violent offenders no longer having the chance to complete 4 years of service to clear their record .

Has there been a wave of violence and crime caused by unregistered SBR's. No. Being proactive with our rights is irresponsible.

Maybe, just maybe, they should start putting a muzzle on antipsychotic and antidepressants in our children.
i was reading some info on the BATF website. Info on the National Firearms Act of 1938. It was, at the time, a big deal over SBRs because they were quite popular with gangsters (actually mentioned Al Capone) and that they would share any info gathered in registering one, and taxed them an astronomical $200, with state and local law enforcement. The courts ruled that unconstitutional and made it unenforceable. In ‘68 it was amended to exclude the info sharing, making it enforceable again. The $200 tax hasn't changed since originally imposed. It was supposed to make it so that almost no one would want a Short Barreled Rifle because it cost a fortune. Its another example, imo, of the courts ignoring the real issues and making it seem like they were doing the right thing, and protecting us from the bad guys who were mainly killing each other and occasionally police.

Yep. And those criminal enterprises that were using SBR's were basically created by our Congress up and passing a law that banned alcohol. Just goes to show ya that in essence the government and their gazillion laws create a void for a wanted service or product and a illegal market is formed to fill the need.

Please excuse my ignorance but what is a “brace” and what is it used for?

Please excuse my ignorance but what is a “brace” and what is it used for?
It looks very much like an AR15 butt stock, except its not adjustable nor meant to be put against your shoulder. It attaches to the back of a pistol and sets on top of your forearm( some velcro strap in place).
1D268E35-F8CD-448A-A2AF-6D1D5863020A.png
A means to get around the SBR rules.

It looks very much like an AR15 butt stock, except its not adjustable nor meant to be put against your shoulder. It attaches to the back of a pistol and sets on top of your forearm( some velcro strap in place).
View attachment 30045
A means to get around the SBR rules.
I think part of the problem is some of the braces used standard rifle buffer tubes and were actually adjustable pull. The law says once a rifle always a rifle. Putting rifle parts on a "pistol" and then shouldering it like a rifle makes it look a lot like a short barreled rifle. I registered mine as an SBR and put a regular rifle stock on it with a side folder attachment. It took 2 months for the BATFE to process it and I did have to pay the $200. I think those that convert to a rifle stock will need to pay the $200 tax vs just leaving the brace on it for free.

I think part of the problem is some of the braces used standard rifle buffer tubes and were actually adjustable pull. The law says once a rifle always a rifle. Putting rifle parts on a "pistol" and then shouldering it like a rifle makes it look a lot like a short barreled rifle. I registered mine as an SBR and put a regular rifle stock on it with a side folder attachment. It took 2 months for the BATFE to process it and I did have to pay the $200. I think those that convert to a rifle stock will need to pay the $200 tax vs just leaving the brace on it for free.
And THEN there is the Mossberg Shockwave.

I wouldn’t post anything on any social media about what you plan to do about this ruling. Some of you have already condemned yourself.
Just saying please don’t take offense.

Back