Got a chance to buy a traditional

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregK1

Reaction score
I just came across a new TC Sidelock. It has a partial round barrel....about the front half of it I believe. It was picked up at an estate sale & has not been fired. It does not have the box or manual, but I don't need either. It has a Bushnell scope on it too. The owner isn't much on guns, but he thinks it's a New Englander. He only wants $175.00 which I think is a great price. I've been out of sidelocks for years, so give me some thoughts on this gun & the price.

Funny you should say that. I have one that's never been fired in a .54 coming Monday. It's even a lefty.

It is a New Englander.

Google TC New Englander for a bunch of info. I've read over 100 reviews, and not one bad one.

This is good. I know you'll try a bunch of different bullets in it. So, I won't have to.

Although a PRB is first on my list.

Muley said:
This is good. I know you'll try a bunch of different bullets in it. So, I won't have to.

Although a PRB is first on my list.
:lol!: I probably will, but when I used my old TC Hawken the best load was a PRB on top of 80 grains of RS

Yeah, a PRB will work good. Basically the bore is like a Renegade. 1-48 with shallow rifling. Lots of conicals will work.

Well, if I get it, I will experiment. Back in the day, my only choices were round balls or TC Maxi Hunter. Now there are a lot more choices.

Be sure to try the Lyman Plains Bullet as well , it works like a charm when launched from my 1:48 Hawken

I think that's what Sasquatch uses.

Too bad he can't get the gun to fire half the time. :roll:

I'm surprised they keep showing those misfires. Anybody thinking of buying a sidelock will give up the idea after watching The Sasquatch Dude.

I got the New Englander today. Brand new unshot.

IMG_0665.jpg

IMG_0666.jpg

IMG_0667.jpg

No, I said it was coming Monday. I always had Renegades in the past, and some GPR's.

Very nice, I was looking at used ones on armslist, they were asking like 225 for the nicer used ones. Can't wait for a range report. Oh and the hammer is on the wrong side....just saying... :p

Ok.....my bad, but isn't that thing harder to cock with your right hand? :lol!:

I got everything I needed today except a ball starter. I still can't shoot it yet. Maybe I can rig something up until I get the starter.

Latest posts

Back