Got a chance to buy a traditional

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice looking gun Pete ! With PRB's you can still get by without a short starter

I haven't shot it yet, so I don't know what it will like. I'll start with a .015 patch.

It's doesn't matter though. Any patch that will shoot good will be a hard starter, and need a starter to get it started in the bore. If you can push it in this your thumb. It won't shoot well.

I use a wooden ramrod on sidelocks. So, I need to have the PRB down the barrel a bit with a ball starter before using the ramrod.

PM sent

GregK said:
I just came across a new TC Sidelock. It has a partial round barrel....about the front half of it I believe. It was picked up at an estate sale & has not been fired. It does not have the box or manual, but I don't need either. It has a Bushnell scope on it too. The owner isn't much on guns, but he thinks it's a New Englander. He only wants $175.00 which I think is a great price. I've been out of sidelocks for years, so give me some thoughts on this gun & the price.

I had my head up my a$$ when i wrote that post .. :oops: Was thinking of the Lyman bullet that goes in easy. Yeah i normally use .015- .018" patches with .535 balls and between 75-90gr F2 Wano . Gives a nice soft recoil.

Back