Grizzly Hunting Anyone?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patocazador

Reaction score
There's talk of letting Montana, Wyoming, and Idaho sanction grizzly hunts in the near future. The Yellowstone core group would have to exceed 600 total bears for this to happen. There are currently between 700 and 1000 grizzlies in the Yellowstone eco-system.

http://www.businessinsider.com/ap-grizzly-hunts-loom-as-us-seeks-to-end-protections-2016-3

ap-grizzly-hunts-loom-as-us-seeks-to-end-protections.jpg

I've had enough of those guys when I was in Alaska.

I'll stick with black bears now.

Nice!!

I'll pack up my .58 Hawken and do it the mountain man way.

It will be a long time before they will be hunted... if it ever happens!  The antis will hang it up in court for as long as they can. It will be just like the wolf hunt debacle.  Tags will probably cost you a couple grand too!  Sure hope it happens eventually though.

FrontierGander said:
Nice!!

I'll pack up my .58 Hawken and do it the mountain man way.

I'm thinking a .75 caliber Kodiak and hunting with a slow buddy would be a better choice.  607 grains twice should slow that dinasor down to a crawl.

I have no interest in tackling a Griz with a single shot BP. Sorry. I guess 
I am not tough enough to be a real frontiersman.

But, I AM interested...

.300 Win Mag Browning? No...
.303 British Sporterized Enfield? Maybe...
.348 Win Browning Model 71 with my new 250 grain Australian bullet hand loads? Yeah! 
That sounds like fun! A LOT of fun! Sign me up!
:pirat:

I'd do it. It's all about waiting for the right moment. A lot of the mountain men were surprised by them and that gernally 99% of the time means that they rushed their shots, crapped their pants and took off running. :lol:

The closest that I've ever been to a wild grizzly (that I know of) was watching a sow and 2 cubs climb a steep hill about a mile away. That's close enough as far as I'm concerned.

FrontierGander said:
I'd do it. It's all about waiting for the right moment. A lot of the mountain men were surprised by them and that gernally 99% of the time means that they rushed their shots, crapped their pants and took off running. :lol:
No you wouldn't.

“…more information pertaining to the grizzly than any other group of people during the nineteenth century. If a list describing the nature of the grizzly bear had been compiled by mountain men from their actual experiences and sent to St. Louis to serve as a warning to the greenhorn who would be coming to the summer rendezvous, the following images of the grizzly…could have been included: no fear of man, almost impossible to kill, expert swimmers, faster than our horses, unbelievable strength, kills bison, buries kill in hole, strikes with forepaw, will return and maul victim if tormented, will avoid man if possible, tears up ground when wounded, will attack gun when fired upon, attacks horses, attacks at night, cubs are ferocious, country abounds with, does not climb tree, must have guards around camp at night for protection against, must shoot in eye or just behind ear to kill, guns only infuriate, often plays dead, attacks with open mouth, drawn into camp by food cooking, poor eyesight, will try to dig up tree or break them down when trapper has sought their safety, bites and scratches at wound with claws, large as ox, person should stand and face if attacked, will come within a few yards and stand on hind legs and look you in the eye, if you run you’re dead, one shot thirty times before killed, trapper usually in shock for one-half hour after encounter with…” – Mountain Man & Grizzly, Pg. 10

I watched a video of a guy who charged a grizzly with his recurve bow in hand, drew back and shot it right in the eye socket, dropping it.  Crazy video!  Guys go after them with lesser weapons than a big center fire rifle but there's usually a guide behind them with a big gun just in case...

Well, heck.  If you can shoot a griz in the eye with pointy stick you got more going for you than I do!

Yes, not an easy shot. Especially, when you get near a grizz. They get everybody's heart pumping fast.

Always that if (IF) I got a 2 week warning before I died, I'd sharpen up my Old Timer lock blade and go grizz hunting.  

That I'd go out either as beer poop or on the cover of American Hunter!

They shoot them all day long on the hunting channel with bow and arrow.

Anything thats shot 30 times and still is coming at you, sounds like crappy shooting because they were all shitting themselves lol. Sounds very logical to me.

Maybe the PRB is a really bad choice for a grizz too.

Besides, you'd be shitting your pants too.   :tongue:

No one knows how they will handle a dangerous situation until it happens. Some "brave" people turn and run and some mild-mannered people are calm and function as needed for the situation.

I was held up while driving a city bus in Chicago. I gave the three guys the money while keeping my eyes glued to the muzzle of the gun (like I could dodge the bullet if I could see it coming out of the barrel  :say whhhhhat: ). However, when they tried to take my uniform hat with the badge on it, I loudly told them to leave the hat alone!
Stupid, yes, but it's how I reacted. They left the hat alone.

BTW this happened in the district where Obama later was the state senator.

Back