Grizzly Hunting Anyone?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bob,

Why 2 tours? I was in the Marine Corps from '66 to '69. At that time it was policy that a Marine returning to the States with less then 6 months to serve was released early, when he returned. If I returned when that first tour was up I would have had to serve a full year. By serving the second tour, I returned with 5 months left on my enlistment. I was released at that time.

Ray

I want you guys to know how humbled I am to be a part of your group, my best friend died in Vietnam. I appreciate your service to our country. While I have worked in Public-Safety for 27 years and still wear a badge/gun part-time, it does not even come close to what each of you have given all of us, our freedom!
Thanks simply does not seem enough...............................

There are differences between men like hawgslayer (Ray) and fellows like me back around 1967.

Hawgslayer said "I will jump out of the "slicks" (Huey helicopters)." :cheers:

For draftees like me, the government said: "You will jump out of slicks." :shock: 

Ron

RonC,

I'm sure that no matter if they were drafted or enlisted they, we did our jobs. We had to.

Ray............. :Red tup:

hawgslayer said:
Great info RonC. Still, I'm glad I didn't get bitten by one.  ;)

True story now and I was stung all to hell. We had just gotten back from watch and now it was sleep time. We slept in tents with the sides rolled up before the engineers built us some hutches. (Wooden floors and sides with screen and a tin roof). I got all my gear squared away and got under the skeeter net and dozed off. I started to dream I was being eaten alive and you guessed it, I woke to find hundreds of ants chowing down on my right thigh. I jumped up and ran outside and grabbed a water can, I thought had water in it, but instead it was gas. Couldn't read the can at 0330. Not only did it take care of the ants but it cleaned out all the stung areas. True story from the archives of my 2 tours in Nam.

Ray.......... :Red tup:
Im watching vietnam is HD on the history channel and thought of his story and just busted up laughing :lol: :lol:

And in the final analysis....some folks are just dumbazzed stupid!! :Hide: :drunken: :affraid:

patocazador said:
Wives are definitely the most dangerous species on the planet. Cape buffalo and grizzlies are small potatoes compared to wives. :Hide:
Duck Hunter,  My wife is 5'2", weighs 100 pounds, has red hair, and green eyes andm she is Irish.  I have faced down men with guns, been struck by lightning, and I have been shot at six times, (never hit), and she scares me worse, LOL  robin  8)

"if you take out their heart they're done"

True! But.....50 years ago I read a detailed report on grizz attacks by a well known authority that had done much research on the grizzly....basically it was pertaining to the bodily functions of this beast and one of the facts brought out was that the heart beat rate of a full grown male is so slow that their heart can be blasted to fragments and they can still run and function for a distance of possibly 300 feet! Now....IMO it doesn't make much difference what type of cannon and bullet is used that humped-back dude is going to do some serious damage to anyone that has pizzed on his turf! One swipe with a paw...and what was a moment before a human head....is now a bloody basketball!!

I have never been grizzly hunting. The hunting stories I have read over the years uniformly say that guides tell their clients to break a shoulder with the first shot. That stops/slows the bear's ability to charge the hunter. The second shot is supposed to be the kill shot.

An old friend, who died several years ago, was the Director of Fish and Wildlife under Reagan. When he began his career, he was a Forest Ranger at Yellowstone and had to manage rogue grizzlies. He said that when they opened up the newly terminated bear, they were hit by the worst smell he ever had experienced! It was horrible and so bad that he said it was the worst experience of his field career.

Ron

I'll stick to deer and turkeys!  Maybe even an Elk someday.  :Hide:  Grizzlies are more excitement than I want at my age.  :D

RonC said:
An old friend, who died several years ago, was the Director of Fish and Wildlife under Reagan. When he began his career, he was a Forest Ranger at Yellowstone and had to manage rogue grizzlies. He said that when they opened up the newly terminated bear, they were hit by the worst smell he ever had experienced! It was horrible and so bad that he said it was the worst experience of his field career.

Ron
I used an incompetent guide for my 1st bear. He had to sub-contract with another fellow to find a bear. After I shot the bear, they opened it up and found that he had been feeding exclusively on blueberries. They both immediately started scooping the warm blueberries out of his gut and stuffing them into their mouths.
Then they paused and looked guiltily at one another and said, "We're sorry, we should have offered them to you first." I declined. :barf:

patocazador said:
RonC said:

Ron
I used an incompetent guide for my 1st bear. He had to sub-contract with another fellow to find a bear. After I shot the bear, they opened it up and found that he had been feeding exclusively on blueberries. They both immediately started scooping the warm blueberries out of his gut and stuffing them into their mouths.
Then they paused and looked guiltily at one another and said, "We're sorry, we should have offered them to you first." I declined.  :barf:
Man, Bob? Is that a true story or are you yanking our chain? :?:

Bob you did sound a little too familiar with "opiates" from reading Ron's Hospital string.  :D

Back