Grizzly Hunting Anyone?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've killed several critters that wiegh as much or more than any griz (none of the big ones with a muzzy), stood toe to toe with a pissed off elephant that was kicking rocks at us, had lions roar within feet of camp, spent a few minutes filling a cape buffalo full of lead that was less than 15 yards from us in cover so thick you couldn't hardly get a glimps of him, stuffed a front stuffer in the nose of a chomping black bear, hit other bears in the ribs with rocks (on a couple different occasions) caught several wild hogs with the help of dogs and faced two thugs with bare knuckles that just attacked a senior citezen and ended up with a steel toe boot to the head but un-deniably and decisively won the fight, and a few other hair raising episodes..... and one thing that all of those have in common is, I was never scared. Quite worried a time or two but never lost my nerve to do what needed to be done and fully realizing my encounters very well could cause complete bodily harm while doing them. However, stuff me in an airplane and I become a 5 year old school girl....

If I ever get to hunt lower 48 grizz, I will be doing it with a .58 caliber muzzleloader, bodily harm be damned. I will however have a fully stoked double action big wheel on my hip and hopefully a well trained and reliable buddy not to far away with one as well, if for no other reason but to put me out of my pain...

One thing all of those big critters have in common is if you take out thier heart (or central nervous system) they are done, end of story. Another thing they have in common is if you don't, they can stay alive far longer than you could ever think possible, even some double lunged cases.

Awesome discussion.

Todd

Well, I guess we have determined that grizzly hunting and shitting your pants go together!

"I have stood toe to toe with a pissed off wife that was kicking rocks at me..." :joker:

Is that the same thing? Lord knows I was scairt! 

Wives are definitely the most dangerous species on the planet. Cape buffalo and grizzlies are small potatoes compared to wives. :Hide:

Lets start a fund raiser! $20,000 to cover a a grizzly/brown bear hunt and I'll use my .58cal Hawken to show you how its done!

Well, I guess I am the lucky one. I can count on two fingers the number of times my wife has even raised her voice to me in 41 years of marriage. She hunts and fishes with me and we spend many days and nights together afield.

FrontierGander said:
Lets start a fund raiser! $20,000 to cover a a grizzly/brown bear hunt and I'll use my .58cal Hawken to show you how its done!
No brown bear just grizzly. I'll throw in $5.00 to see that. $19,995 to go.

FrontierGander said:
Might as well just buy you a casket instead.

Jotjackson said:
Well, I guess I am the lucky one. I can count on two fingers the number of times my wife has even raised her voice to me in 41 years of marriage. She hunts and fishes with me and we spend many days and nights together afield.
Nice.

I did sit in a Nissan rental car while African Buffalo stampeded around me. I figured that I would film them so when they found my body, they would know what happened:
eTrThm.jpg

Iko86H.jpg

This guy headed for me then went for the car behind me:
8S84aD.jpg

I thought for sure that this was a black rhino because they can be found browsing leaves on a hill side whereas the white rhino grazes on grass. But when he got close enough that I could see the upper lip, it was a white rhino. I was a bit nervous so I walked back toward the car. This is a still taken from a video I took.
bwIanc.jpg

cQojUN.jpg

I like pussy cats, but not when they are this big and this close.
9iA3jE.jpg

But, with me being so intimidating :lol: , she left.
GV0j0z.jpg

I don't have a photo of the black mamba because I was going in the other direction too fast. :shock:

Ron

When I was in Namibia, the guide told me about black mambas: "You can't outrun them and snake leggins won't do you any good because they can strike you in the neck. The best thing to do is to hope they bite you in the arm or leg so you can cut it off before 20 minutes expire otherwise you will."

Only deadly snake I had to worry about was a viper in Nam called a " 2 step snake ". That's all the time you had. When I was up visiting my uncle in WI, I never gave a second thought to the timber rattler that were up there. Did a lot of scouting during the summer for the deer season.

Ray.............. :thumbs up:

hawgslayer said:
Only deadly snake I had to worry about was a viper in Nam called a " 2 step snake ". That's all the time you had. When I was up visiting my uncle in WI, I never gave a second thought to the timber rattler that were up there. Did a lot of scouting during the summer for the deer season.

Ray.............. :thumbs up:
Yup, the banded krait snake. I am convinced that calling it the "2 step" was an exaggeration. I think you could get another step in there before expiring. :D

U.S. soldiers also referred to the Banded Krait as the ” cigarette snake” meaning you would die in the time it took to smoke a cigarette.

Actually, it really was an exaggeration although we all believed it.
The banded krait was dangerous especially because as a tree dweller, most of its bites were reported to occur on the head, shoulder, and neck areas of the victims.
The reputation for quick death came about when an Army physician died in 29 hours after a bite.
Although this snake from South East Asia has a  very potent neurotoxic venom,  the "bamboo viper" as it also was called is a small snake which seldom injects sufficient venom to cause death. American Rattlesnakes are much more likely to cause death.

The mention of the 2 step made me curious, so I went to the U.S. Army Medical Department, Office of Medical History and found out that, contrary to what was rumored, there really was an antivenin for the bite. Also, only 25 to 50 bites a year were recorded for American troops in Vietnam.
Ron

Great info RonC. Still, I'm glad I didn't get bitten by one.  ;)

True story now and I was stung all to hell. We had just gotten back from watch and now it was sleep time. We slept in tents with the sides rolled up before the engineers built us some hutches. (Wooden floors and sides with screen and a tin roof). I got all my gear squared away and got under the skeeter net and dozed off. I started to dream I was being eaten alive and you guessed it, I woke to find hundreds of ants chowing down on my right thigh. I jumped up and ran outside and grabbed a water can, I thought had water in it, but instead it was gas. Couldn't read the can at 0330. Not only did it take care of the ants but it cleaned out all the stung areas. True story from the archives of my 2 tours in Nam.

Ray.......... :Red tup:

"True story from the archives of my 2 tours in Nam."

Why 2 tours, Ray? Only one was mandatory. :say whhhhhat:

Back