growing ramps

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobRed

Reaction score
I would like to take some ramps off my families property and get them established on my property. Has anyone successfully done this? Any advice?

been in agriculture my whole life and never heard them called that.

They will easily be transplanted from one location to another. Look in the woods in the early spring. They grow everywhere. Better yet, go to the woods and harvest them there.

They grow freely up here. Collected while they're young they're tasty in salads and they can be cooked into quite a few recipes where mild onions are called for.

I would like to take some ramps off my families property and get them established on my property. Has anyone successfully done this? Any advice?
It’s really rare to ever hear anyone talk about Ramps. My kin in Wva/Pa always had them on the breakfast table. I’ve been out with my cousins picking them in the wild, along with Rhubarb which I’ve never liked.
Ramps are an acquired taste for sure.
Good luck transplanting them successfully.

I have three patches going now. Plant em like onion sets. I started 5 years ago and it's very slow to take hold. Have two patches in hardwoods and one in mixed hardwoods and conifers.

Eat ramps and the black flies leave you alone. 😂 People too.

Last edited:
A slow day of turkey hunting can easily be saved by finding a nice patch of ramps. These are a real spring treat. I like to cook with them (use the leaves!) and pickled ramps are one of the finest woodland foods you can enjoy.
That said, it is a lot of work to clean and pickle them. It can take hours.
I have never tried growing them but I don't need to. I have quite a few great places where I can dig them. One thing to think about if you have a spot is how slowly they spread and recover. If you take too many from one area, you can really put a hurt on the patch. Always try to spread out your digging and don't get carried away and wipe a spot out.

A slow day of turkey hunting can easily be saved by finding a nice patch of ramps. These are a real spring treat. I like to cook with them (use the leaves!) and pickled ramps are one of the finest woodland foods you can enjoy.
That said, it is a lot of work to clean and pickle them. It can take hours.
I have never tried growing them but I don't need to. I have quite a few great places where I can dig them. One thing to think about if you have a spot is how slowly they spread and recover. If you take too many from one area, you can really put a hurt on the patch. Always try to spread out your digging and don't get carried away and wipe a spot out.
That is the truth. 30 years ago we had a patch along our stream that was easily 50yds x 75yds . It was picked to a point that it couldn't replenish itself (not by us). The patches I have are now more secluded and less accessible to the foraging thieves. There is basically no ginseng or decent mushrooms (morels) left in that area. We have caught people digging trillium too.

Last edited:
I must live in the dark. What are ramps???????

I had to look it up, sometimes they are called wild leeks or spring onions but they are neither from what I read. They sound tasty.

Maybe it's a regional thing? In PA/ West Virginia it's a common term, every spring people try to forage ramps and morel mushrooms.

They are good pickled, or to cook with anywhere you would want onion flavor. A little goes a long way because they are pretty strong!

That is the truth. 30 years ago we had a patch along our stream that was easily 50yds x 75yds . It was picked to a point that it couldn't replenish itself (not by us). The patches I have are now more secluded and less accessible to the foraging thieves. There is basically no ginseng or decent mushrooms (morels) left in that area. We have caught people digging trillium too.

The leaves are super tasty and if you just take them and leave the bulbs the patch will continue to produce.

Why do people want trillium?

Why do people want trillium?
It's a rare and endangered plant in NY. It will rarely transplant well. We also have trout lilies which I have seen people digging.

There used to be a lot of ginseng in our area but when prices started hitting over $300 a lb, you could see cars parked all over knowing they were diggers. Rarely see any while hiking now.

We have three or four kinds of trillium here in our area and they're very common. We have two kinds in our gardens. Ramps are another fairly common wild plant as are trout lilies. I moved some trout lilies into one of our shadier flower beds and they've been going for years and are beautiful, dainty, spring flowers. Showy Orchids are a frequently found flower here that is absolutely stunning. They're a small flower but pack a "pretty" punch. When the city was developing the park land behind us, they were going to schmuck a large clump of the orchids, so I went down with a shovel and bucket and brought the clump back home where it flourished for almost 12 years. Jack-In-The-Pulpits are another common wildflower that we have in our gardens.

Ginseng can still be found in places locally but I keep my mouth shut on the whereabouts and no, I don't dig it. Bloodroot is another root crop that seems to take a beating from diggers.

We have three or four kinds of trillium here in our area and they're very common. We have two kinds in our gardens. Ramps are another fairly common wild plant as are trout lilies. I moved some trout lilies into one of our shadier flower beds and they've been going for years and are beautiful, dainty, spring flowers. Showy Orchids are a frequently found flower here that is absolutely stunning. They're a small flower but pack a "pretty" punch. When the city was developing the park land behind us, they were going to schmuck a large clump of the orchids, so I went down with a shovel and bucket and brought the clump back home where it flourished for almost 12 years. Jack-In-The-Pulpits are another common wildflower that we have in our gardens.

Ginseng can still be found in places locally but I keep my mouth shut on the whereabouts and no, I don't dig it. Bloodroot is another root crop that seems to take a beating from diggers.
Goldenseal is another plant that foragers look for.

The trillium that are considered protected here are the Red Trillium and the Painted Trillium.

https://wildadirondacks.org/adirond...um is listed as,the Adirondack Park Blue Line.

Back