Help with choosing which rifle to buy.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This year I plan go try my hand at muzzleloader hunting but I have yet to actually purchase my own ML rifle. I don't know much about muzzleloaders but I think I have narrowed it down to two rifles. I should also add that I am in oregon I want to use heavy lead conical bullets, the No Excuse 460gr (or similar ) for example.

My primary choice is the Lyman Great Plans Hunter in a .50 cal with a 1:32 twist. I really like the traditional look and the longer barrel. What I don't like are the sights. I really want high visibility sights or at least something not black on black. I am also a bit concerned that since, from what I've read, you have to take the barrel off to clean the gun thoroughly, wouldn't that mean you lost your Zero and would have to re-sight in the gun after every cleaning? Especially with the lyman after market peep sight correct?

My second choice is the Vortex ultralight northwest magnum, .50 cal, with a 30" barrel, 1:28 twist.
It seems this gun might be better for heavy lead conical bullets due to the faster twist but I'm not sure if that's true. It looks easier to clean but its not as sexy as the Lyman GPH. What concerns me the most about this gun are the mixed reviews it received for the first few years after it came out. It seemed like had firing issues but from what I could gather, those issues may have only been with the striker fire model and not this particular model that has an exposed inline hammer.

What do you guys think? Any help would be much appreciated. Please also let me know where I'm screwed up in my information.

I had a vortex for a while and sold it, I don’t sell guns to often. the problem I had was I shoot knight and Thompson Center, what I am saying is there is a definite cheap feel to the gun when you shoot a quality gun you can tell.i am not bashing traditions , the gun shot very good, I just couldn’t get past the feeling and always grabbed my long range hunter. I can’t describe the quality feel of knight, I don’t know because I don’t own any, but it seems cva is stepping up lately, if they make a mr in 45 fast twist I will own one. hopefully you will like what you buy , good luck

I like the TC renegades n hawkens. Prefer renegades. With LRH barrels they are really accurate. If I was going to buy a new in box rifle it’d be a pedersoli hawken hunter. Fast twist for conicals n same price range as Lyman gph. I’ll end up with one probably.

I have heard good things about the renegades. What is a LRH barrel? You'll have to forgive me, I'm pretty green.

Green mountain barrel company made long range hunter barrels as drop ins for renegade n hawken. You can find them in new condition still if you ask around. Not cheap. If you decide to try that route it may get pretty involved. Did u look at the Pedersoli Hawken Hunter? Much simpler way to get started

Not to worry, removing a barreled action for cleaning does not effect the zero. You're not removing the sights.
As many hours as you are going to be holding your rifle, get one that you love holding. If you want something traditional, go traditional. There are plenty of guys on this forum that have proven they can take game with the best of them.

Green mountain barrel company made long range hunter barrels as drop ins for renegade n hawken. You can find them in new condition still if you ask around. Not cheap. If you decide to try that route it may get pretty involved. Did u look at the Pedersoli Hawken Hunter? Much simpler way to get started

If you are interested... I have a Renegade with a SS LRH barrel that I would sale. It has been used for one hunting season but was put in storage 5-6 years ago... It has a new Renegade stock that I bought for the barrel.

This is one of its 3 harvests...

07Doe.jpg

P1010006-1.jpg

I would sale it for $450 + shipping - pretty firm on that price

Back