Hornady 245 grain Interlock

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G_0135.jpg

bottlespre.jpg

G_0136.jpg

Bullet furnished by Reginald Crumbpepper. From muzzle to bottles is 25 yard. Powder charge is 80 grain Blackhorn.

VIDEO

Bullet went through carpet, plywood, every bottle; was caught by magazine stack.

G_0138.jpg

G_0139.jpg

G_0142.jpg

Thanks for the bullet report. This is what I am NOT looking for, I want expansion and weight retention. It retained its weight, but no expansion at all, and then you have the separation of the jacket and the lead. I'm sure it would do the job, but there are better bullets out there. Personally, I prefer a heavier bullet, always around 300 grns for the most part.

I'm surprised that bullet didn't do well. In a rifle bullet (spire point interlock), those are hard to beat. They perform outstanding. I've probably killed 100 whitetails with them across several calibers, mostly with my .280. Thanks for the report Ron

I shot a couple deer in Tenn. last season with the .45 Interlock in a sml @ 2650mv and they did severe damage on both. 1 @ 50yds was about 4" entrance and 6" exit, took out both shoulders. Too fast mv for that bullet but they will expand if pushed hard enough. I switched to 240xtp mags and they were a little less destructive. Bonded or solids get my vote with what I hunt with.

Thanks again for a great test. I’ll be sticking with those 240 grain XTP’s myself. Love the 300 grain ones but they recoil pretty heavily in my Accura MR.

I have developing a load for an MK 85 and was able to get to the range today. I had thought about trying the 45 cal SP but had not ordered any yet. Shot the 44 cal 240 grain XTP today with a green Harvester Crush Rib Sabot and 75 Grains Weight of loose T7 and got great accuracy.

Yes I am. They shot well out of my CVA Optima but am wondering about how it’ll hold up. It works great out of my 444 Marlin. Also, have you done any testing on the Hornady 300g 44 cal XTP? I have a plethora of 44 cal bullets.

Ahh another fellow hunter that’s loved his 280Rem! :lewis:

Love my .280rem. I bought it new in 1987. Its a Remington 700 mountain rifle, walnut/blue and very accurate with handloads. I have a .260rem in the same rifle that I hunt with some now also. Shot my first buck with it last year 😁

I shot a couple deer in Tenn. last season with the .45 Interlock in a sml @ 2650mv and they did severe damage on both. 1 @ 50yds was about 4" entrance and 6" exit, took out both shoulders. Too fast mv for that bullet but they will expand if pushed hard enough. I switched to 240xtp mags and they were a little less destructive. Bonded or solids get my vote with what I hunt with.

Interesting. And that is a very different outcome as Ron's test, albeit much more velocity. Based on what you said and his test, they would probably work very well in the 100-110gr range for most BP hunters. I would prefer the XTP non mag, or Speer JHP or Deep Curl over those it appears, as they work very well even at lower speeds.

In high powered rifles my experience is the spire point interlocks mushroom perfectly and drive through leaving a fantastic wound channel. I've found a couple bullets over the years and they have worked as quality cup/core bullets should. They may lose a little, but hold together well and definitely do the job. My .280rem is running about 3050, shooting a 139gr bullet. I've also shot them in other calibers with similar performance. Working up loads for my .260rem with them in 129gr right now. :lewis:

Just curious as to what powder and load fo you use either the Hornady 139gr bullet? I use 57gr of 3831SC powder with the 139gr bullet.

Back