I do have a heart, Mr. Wizard!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonRC

Reaction score
The time has come for my aortic valve replacement. I meet with the cardiac surgeon on Thursday, 3 March and the operation will take place at the end of April. We also will decide whether I get a pig or bovine tissue valve or artificial valve. Probably it will be a bovine valve. Artificial valves last longer, but you have to take blood thinners for the rest of your life. A bovine valve lasts 10-15 years, most often it is closer to the 15 years.

Last year, the cardiologist said that I likely would need a replacement in 2-4 years. However, echocardiagrams of the heart that were taken in January showed that the calcium deposits on the heart valve have increased faster than expected and the area for blood flow has decreased faster.

There is good news as well. The cardiologist did an echocardiagram stress test on Wednesday of this week and they did the heart imaging after putting me on a treadmill. The results: there is no evidence or coronary artery blockage, so there is no need for coronary bypass surgery. When there is a need for bypass, then they do it at the same time as the valve replacement. But it also means that the entire sternum has to be cleaved to access the heart and the time in which the heart is stopped and there is dependency on a heart-lung machine is much longer than if just the valve is replaced. With no bypass required, they can minimize the size of the chest opening and healing is faster. Also, the time the heart is stopped is much shorter.

The other good news was that there was no evidence of congestive heart failure. Many people who need an aortic valve replacement also show signs of congestive heart failure. That is not good and also is not treatable. It is likely that my regular exercise regime permitted my heart to handle the stresses of the valve problem without developing congestive heart failure.

Once they do the valve replacement, their goal (and my goal) is getting back to normal activities without being short of breath. After a 6 to 12 week recovery period, I should be able to go hiking and biking and exercising.

I told the cardiologist that I first will go to the Toyota repair facility to find out what they charge for a valve replacement. When Toyota does a valve replacement on one of their cars, they offer a free oil change. (hee, hee  :lol:)
Ron

Wow. Never fun.

But, the good news is that this is a walk in the park now. 
I know a lot of folks who have these kind of procedures 
done and are basically back to normal after a little while!

Think entertaining thoughts... like Muley in a Tutu singing 
achy brackey heart to keep your mood positive!

The cardiologist may charge less than what Toyota dealers charge. ;)

I know lots of people who have had valve replacements. Most of them had pig valves (I'm not familiar with cow valves) and didn't have to premedicate before dental procedures, etc. They also didn't have to stay on blood thinners forever.

Get a second opinion. It keeps them on their toes so they don't "slop" through the procedure. They remember that they have to do a good job since one of their peers knows about it.

Good luck and recuperate quickly.

Hey Ron
My thoughts and prayers will be with you through all of your procedures. I look forward to meeting up with you and doing some shooting down your way when the weather warms up. Sure was nice today nice enough this old man put on his biking clothes and did a 40 mile bike ride. Sure was good to get out again cabin fever was getting to the point of being out of control. Al

BigAl52 said:
Hey Ron
My thoughts and prayers will be with you through all of your procedures.
Same here Ron!

Man, I would lose my mind if I had to go through that.

I just returned from the Frozen Toes Rendezvous at Ft. Lupton, CO.

Thank you all for your concern! You are a fine group of folks that I feel privileged to be associated with.
I usually am the infernal optimist. I like to see the glass half full. So, I focus on the good news part of it and accept the fact that I am 69 years old. That acceptance was probably the hardest part. Giving up my regular exercise regime was also difficult, but I can return to that after the replacement.

UP to now, I have been very fortunate. Aside from a few arthroscopic surgeries on my knees, the only serious operation I have had is re-attachment of a bicep that tore off my forearm while doing power cleans at the gym.
Ron

I'm no stranger to major surgery myself.  I felt your pain and will send up a prayer for you.  

Eat all the burgers you want now.  It'll never be the same after you are part burger yourself!

Ron, I wish you well with the procedure and will say a prayer for you.

Funny you mention the detached bicep since I did the same thing late Friday afternoon. I picked up a limb that weighed about as much as my Accura and something popped in my arm between the bicep and the bend in my arm. Will call the doctor first thing tomorrow morning and see what has to be done. What kind of recovery am I looking at if that indeed is the problem?

I really don't have time for this just now with spring turkey season fast approaching.

Glenn

Fishunt said:
Ron, I wish you well with the procedure and will say a prayer for you.

Funny you mention the detached bicep since I did the same thing late Friday afternoon. I picked up a limb that weighed about as much as my Accura and something popped in my arm between the bicep and the bend in my arm. Will call the doctor first thing tomorrow morning and see what has to be done. What kind of recovery am I looking at if that indeed is the problem?

I really don't have time for this just now with spring turkey season fast approaching.

Glenn
Glenn,

They can do a better job of reattachment nowadays as compared to when my surgery was done. Also, they can do it later.
When I tore my bicep, they had to do surgery right away before scar tissue built up and made it difficult. I am not a physician, but have been told by orthopedic physicians that they can still do the reattachment even if there is a little scar tissue.

I don't like to tell you this part: I was immobilized in an arm cast for several weeks and had to be very cautious for several weeks after that. This was about 15 years ago, so I don't know what the length of recovery is today.

I wish you the best,
Ron

If you are in the NFL, the recovery is about 3-4 weeks. Of course they are cripples by the age of 40.

(Just guessing here. It seems they break a leg and they're playing again 3 weeks later.) :pale:

Thanks Ron. That's about what I'm expecting. My daughter is a PA for an orthopedic back surgeon and she has filled me in on what to expect but you have been through the surgery so I value your experience.

Glenn

I was put in a cast the day of the injury, given some anti-inflammation medicines and told to show up the next afternoon for surgery.

That meant I could meet with my morning class. I told the students that I was given an industrial strength anti-inflammatory that could make me act flaky, spacey or weird.
A student raised his hand and asked: "How is that any different from usual?" :)

My wife and I knew the surgeon and his family. A few months after the surgery, the surgeon gave up his practice, left his wife and 3 children, including a new baby, and left for Texas to become a wind-surfer! This is not a story, but is all true!

He eventually came back to this area and now owns several marijuana businesses. :shock: :roll: 
Ron

Well I got some good news on the bicep Ron.

The short story is that you can detach the bicep bad (down at the elbow) or not so bad (up at the shoulder). At the elbow must be repaired while the shoulder detach may or may not be repaired. If after a month or so and the pain goes away and arm function is ok I can "learn to live with it" the doc said. Or if I think I would be better with the operation I can go that route and have the tendon reattached. Without the operation I will be approximately 10% weaker in my right bicep.

So I can at least stall and get in the spring fishing and spring Turkey season and if I elect surgery I can do that when it is hot, humid and miserable.

The doc said that what I picked up Friday is not what caused the tendon to break. It was caused by a lifetime of being unkind to my body so you young guys reading this, be warned, mistreat your body now and you will pay for it down the road.

Glenn

"It was caused by a lifetime of being unkind to my body"

That is just what they told me! It was long term wear and tear.

My tear was at the elbow and the muscle rolled on up the arm. I actually heard the pop and it hurt like crazy. I recall saying "Gosh, darn it." and "Oh, my goodness that hurts" and "Gee whiz" ...or something like that. :D 
Ron

The date is set for my aortic valve replacement surgery - last week in April.
I am more anxious about the 6-12 week recovery than I am about the surgery.

But, it has to be done. My stamina becomes less and less each day. I could do 12 minutes on a 4% slope at 3 mph on a treadmill just 6 months ago. I can barely get to 6 minutes,now.

I just think about the fact that, after the valve replacement, I will be able to hike, hunt, ride my mountain bike and train at the gym as well as participate in wild parties and chase women. That is very inviting!.....Uh, oh. Wife just saw me writing this. Let's cut out the wild parties and chasing women. Heck, I can't make it past 10 pm anymore and after 45 years of marriage, I wouldn't know what to do with the women if I caught them. Sigh. :cry: :lol: 

This is a photo of the cardiac surgeon in action:
0uCF9T.jpg

Ron

He looks like a pro. Maybe he could be appointed the next surgeon general by Obama?

Lots good luck for you Ron. It never hurts to be lucky.

Well we have a fair amount in common. Age, bodies bending and breaking, hunting, fishing, my wife of 46+ years. But my wife really doesn't care about me chasing and catching other women because she knows I'm harmless!
Glenn
:lol!:

Back