I feel soooo sick!!! But!!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Franksauto

Reaction score
I had my best day ever in the woods. This morning at 5:45 am I sat in a stand I put up a little over a week ago. First time in I had a nice buck come by as I climbed into the stand, bow was still on the ground, nothing I could do.
Anyway I sat until 7:20am (legal shooting is 6:00am)
Well I was cold and bored. I wacked the antlers together for about 30 seconds and then blew a grunt. I sat down, pulled the neck gator over my nose and ears, put my hands in my pockets and curled up like a dog. I had never had the antlers work, ever! Well wouldnt you know it! About 3 minutes later a giant P&Y 200# plus buck came running in like a freight train and stopped 10 yards from my stand. I couldnt move and the bow was on the hook. As I slowly pulled the bow down he locked on to me. He didnt look worried but slowly started to walk behind me. I stood up, clicked on the release, drew and waited for hin to step into an opening. I used the 30 pin and let it fly. F*@K! I blew it, right over his back. I have no idea why I used the 30. He was standing right behind my trail ribbon which is 18 yards away. He was 20 yards. I instantly got that sick feeling in my stomach as I watched him bolting away. I had ranged all the 25 yard trees last week so I would know to use the 20 or 30 pin. Anyway I wanted to go home and cry. I havent seen a P&Y class buck in years.
I decided to wait to see if he comes back, knowing I will probably never see him again. While waiting (at 10am) a doe came right to me within 10 yards. I wacked her 13 yards (sounded like I shot through a carton of eggs). I didnt see the arrow but at 13 it has to be a good hit right? (wouldnt you know I never seen that arrow but I seen the one go over the bucks back clear as day) I watched her lay down about 40 yards away. I figured I would wait her out. 45 minutes later she was still on high alert and scanning back & fourth. Now I am wondering where I hit her??
I called my buddy, he said get down and put another in her but I didnt want to just incase I jump her. He said what are you going to do wait all day. I said yes, if I have to. Just then I heard a noise behind me. I told him to hold on. (now 11am) When I turned around I couldnt believe what I saw. Another giant P&Y buck only 25 yards behind me now walking away. I blew it again. 2 in P&Y's a matter of a few hours. Definately a different buck with an even bigger rack. I blew it again all because I was not paying attention again like I should have been. What the hell is wrong with me!!! I sat and sulked for another hour but nothing came through and the doe was still on alert.
Fifteen minutes later (12:15pm) she started kicking and flopping. I knew that was it, she was done. I waited another 1/2 hour, got down, kicked out the scrape and hung a dripper over it, then walked away, dug a hole and pissed in it because I couldnt hold it any longer. Went over and recovered my bloody arrow. Looks like a great blood, good hit no stomach material on it. Then walked over and recovered my miss. Clean as could be (except for dirt) but I knew it anyway. I walked over to the deer and she lay dead (finally) I got the liver only. I cant believe she lived almost 2 and 1/2 hours. I'm so glad I never got down. There wasnt much of a blood trail and I may have lost her if I pushed her.
I dragged her out along with my bow and pack. By now I was soaking wet. After getting her dressed and in the truck I considdered going back in but decided against it. I'm glad I didnt go back in. I would have been frozen.
I may have blown it but it was an awesome day. I will be ready next time. I am going in, in the morning but they are calling for 35mph winds. I have 2 mornings left to make it happen on a big boy. Our last day of archery is this Saturday but I will be away with the family leaving Friday. Damn looks like the rut is finally kicking in here in eastern MA. I will keep you updated.
Frank

Didnt go out yesterday morning. It was blowing like crazy. Went out in the afternoon. Sat about 45 minutes and then wacked the antlers together. 10 minutes later a small 8 point came in. I dont think he came to the antlers, he was feeding around me for about 30 minutes. He got to within 30 yards but no shot. He stepped into an opening at 35 yards. I drew back but decided to let him walk. I wasnt real confident about the shot and didnt want to stink up the area looking for a wounded deer. I only have 1 buck tag left and have already taken 3 deer so I will wait in hopes of cracking one of the big boys, even if I have to do it during our firearms season.
I went out this morning and was in the stand at 5:55am. It was 21 degrees. Didnt see a thing untill 8:35am, a couple of does way out. I was going to stay in all day but I got out at 11:40. It was 29 degrees by then. I'm going back in a little while. I have tonight to get it done and then my 2008 archery season is over. I can still hint with bow untill the end of the year but once gun season starts I will hunt the rest of the year with my muzzleloader.
Will keep you posted.
Frank

Sorry to post this so late. Never did see another deer while bowhunting. I ended up taking a small doe with my ML a couple weeks ago. Im heading out in an hour for my last hunt of the season. I was able to do it last year with 3 minutes left of the 2007 season. Hopefully I can make it happen again.
Wish me luck,
Frank

Latest posts

Back