I think I blew up a Powerbelt 295 on a deer!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hog Sniper1

Reaction score
Well, I think I learned alot from this web site. Heres my story.
I recently purchased a Hastings black powder barrel for my 870. I thought it would be fun to use one gun for all seasons this year. I killed a nice 9 point during shotgun season with a 12 ga. rifled barrel. I then shot in my new black powder barrel. The specs on the barrel are as follows:
50 caliber
295 grain copper coated Powerbelt HP
24" long
209 primer
1/34" twist
.500 land/.508 groove

I loaded it with 95 grains of 777 (I now know thats too much!) and shot it in. Groups were touching at 50 yards. and opened up to about 3 inchs at 100 yards. Most of my shots are around 50 yards so I took it hunting last Saturday. I had a doe come in at about 50 yards with several other deer . I touched it off and once the smoke cleared all deer had disappeared. I walked to where I last saw the deer and found no blood. Looking a little further I found a blood trail with blood on my left side and right side. Turned out the deer ran about 40 yards with blood pumping out both sides. It was a through and through shot. Upon dressing the deer I found a few copper pieces and that was it. The exit hole was about the size of the entrance. Not much of a story but I thought I would post my results with 777.

I'll try to back this load off and report back.

Thanks for the report. And an even bigger thumbs up for sticking to the trail and finding the animal! Drop that charge down to 80gr and i believe you will be very happy with the results.

May also consider switching to the Aerotips. That barrel twist is awesome with powerbelts.

You could go to the 300gr platinum if they shoot good. The 295 is one of my favorites and does excellent with 80gr charge.

FrontierGander said:
You could go to the 300gr platinum if they shoot good. The 295 is one of my favorites and does excellent with 80gr charge.
I second that.

Latest posts

Back