I'm looking to buy...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolf_River_Mike

Reaction score
a bolt action .17 hmr. Will be used for casual target shooting and some tree rats. Locally, I've looked at the Marlin, Savage (thumb hole) and a plastic stocked Stephens. Didn't like the feel of the Savage, but did like the feel of the Marlin. I like the looks of the CZ 452 FS, kinda reminds me of a roman nose muzzleloader, but I don't have one around to pick up. I'm a little hesitant to order this model without knowing how the European stock feels. I've read some good reports on the CZ. Has anyone handled one of these rifles?

I have a CZ 452 in .22 LR. It is my rimfire silhouette rifle. CZ's are all steel, accurate, and a lot of silhouette shooters use them. Many feel that the next step up from a CZ is to go to an Anschutz.

I have Savage 93 with AT which is accurate and a hoot. 2 of my firends have CZ452 varmit 20" .17's and they are excellent rifles. Fit and finish - no comparison. Had I been able to locate a LH CZ452 Varmit I would have bought it instead. I am still pleased with the savage, especially for the price (under MOA at 100 with 17gr v-tip or 20gr xtp).

Sorry I have never held the FS model just the Standard and Varmit 452

I can't make up my mind between the Marlin and the CZ. I really liked the feel of the heavy barrel Marlin I looked at and I get to thinking I'm going to go ahead and get it and then I see the pic of the CZ-FS and get corn-fused again. :?

cz452fs.jpg

Never shot either BUT..there was a a guy at the range who is a good shooter that bought a new Savage 93R17BTVS. Really a good looking gun BUT the groups I saw him shoot with it were in the 4 to 5 inch range at 100yds. I'm sure not all of them are that bad but that one certainly was.

I'd probably go CZ. And although that 452FS is a fine looking rifle, full-stock rifles generally don't group as well as their typically-stocked counterparts. I'd probably get a 452 American or 452 Varmint. I've got the 452 Silhouette .22LR and a .22 Hornet 527 American and have no complaints. Years ago I had a Marlin 925M in .22 Mag that was a TACK driver so I'd have no problems with the Marlin if that's the one you wanted.

My son has a savage synthetic, heavy barrel & came with the scope. Trigger is not great but we are working on that.
It will shoot 1" or less. For $215.00 it's not a bad gun at all

Wolf-River,

I couldn't blame you for wanting the CZ. Very nice looking rifle.
I own the Savage 93R17BTVS thumbhole which I bought last year.
My rifle will shoot the 17 gr. Federal hollow point rounds into 3/4" at 100 yards repeatedly. Very accurate rifle! 50 yard groups are approx. 3/10".

There is a picture of me, the rifle and some tree rats under the small game section from last August. Shot several rats at 90 plus yards. :D

There is a picture of me, the rifle and some tree rats under the small game section from last August. Shot several rats at 90 plus yards.

I saw that picture, very impressive shooting. The length of pull on the Savage thumbhole feels short to me. I own a Savage ML102, I bought last year and have really enjoyed it. The only Savage mdels around that I've found are all thumbhole models.

We'll, I bought the Marlin 917VFS. I've got a Swift 4x12x40 AO ordered from OpticsPlanet. May be here by the weekend, I hope so. Thanks guys for the opinions and advice.

another problem you would have w/ the cz pictured is that the stock on that model has a lot of drop and its designed primarily to be used w/ the open sights . .. . .

let me know how the trigger is on that marlin. i was lookin at getting a .17 hmr about a year ago but talked myself out of it because of the cost of the ammo. i couldnt decide between the marlin and the savage, the savage supposedly had a better trigger, but the marlin has a redesigned trigger from the older models that's supposed to be better . . .. ..

I have a .17HMR barrel for my G2 Contender and it regularly shoots about .5 moa 3 shot groups at 100 yds with Federal 17gr stuff.

I have found that with the .17 HMR ( & .204 Ruger ) that with these extremely small bores, cleaning regularly is a must! With a dirty bore my POI moves quite a bit and my groups fall apart as well.

Invest in a .17 cal cleaning kit and you will get the most out of your rifle.

Wolf River,

Congratulations on the Marlin, I am sure it will shoot just fine.
The 17 HMR is inherently accurate in just about any configuration as mentioned by others here.

You can't go wrong with the Swift scope. Very bright and clear. The scope you bought is the exact same one mounted on my Savage 17 in the small game section picture. :D

Keep your cross-hair centered! :D

let me know how the trigger is on that marlin.
dawg, I haven't got a chance to shoot it yet. I did snap it a couple of times. A little stiffer than I like. Crisp with no slop, but stiff. I have my 10ML2 (accu trigger) set as light as it will go, if it's 2 lbs, I would guess the Marlin to be 4 or 5?

cleaning regularly is a must! With a dirty bore my POI moves quite a bit and my groups fall apart as well.
Doohan, I got that rifle home last night and went to clean it up real good and didn't have anything that would fit down the barrel. I will be investing in some .17 cleaning supplies shortly.

You can't go wrong with the Swift scope
CORVAIR, I've never owned a Swift. They come pretty highly reccommended on this board by some folks that have alot more experience than me with scopes. Seemed like a good price.

for anyone interesed, I got to shoot the Marlin some over the weekend. Shooting from 50 yds, was able to hold groups inside a dime. The Marlin trigger definately needs some work.

Latest posts

Back