IMR 4227

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuck McCann

Reaction score
I just picked up a new Savage ML with the acutrigger and while I've been pouring powder down barrels since the late 70's this smokless stuff is new to me. When I bought the gun I also bought a pound of IMR 4227. That's what the dealer recomended and I hadn't read the user manuel yet. It doesn't show 4227 as one of the recomended powders so I called the dealer and was told "it's not in the new book but it shows in the old one" I was told to start at 44.5 and work up to 48.5. I've reloaded rifle shells for 30 plus years and am familiar with pressure signs but this is a new game. Is the 4227 safe to shoot in this gun? What do I look for when working up a load other than accuracy? Are there pressure sins to look for? Any help would be appreciated

4227 is "safe," but I believe you will be far less frustrated not bothering with it-- going with N110 for 250 gr. sabots, or 5744 for 250 - 300 gr. sabots.

There are no reliable pressure signs in any inline muzzleloader.

Alot of reports coming in also are showing that N120 is fast becoming the powder for 300 gr bullets in the Savage ML II.

Thanks guys. I'll give the powder a try and next time I'm in town I'll look for some 5744 to try. I suspected that pressure signs would be hard to read until the gun comes apart.

:D That was what I was told too when I purchased my first Sav. I had so many mis fires from that powder I actually sold the gun and wrote the Sav. off as a bunch of hype. That is until I spoke to Randy Wakeman about the Henry Ball Limited. He quickly diagnosed the problem and had me back on track. Currently I shoot Accurate Arms 5744, 250 grn, or 300 grn. Hornady XTPs. No misfires period in all weather conditions! The accuracy is outstanding, no deer have complained!! LOL! Good Luck to you!

Tar-12 said:
:D No misfires period in all weather conditions! The accuracy is outstanding, no deer have complained!!

5744 and XTP'S are all you will ever need. I'm glad to hear the Savage is working great for you.

Grouse said:
Tar-12 said:
:D No misfires period in all weather conditions! The accuracy is outstanding, no deer have complained!!

5744 and XTP'S are all you will ever need. I'm glad to hear the Savage is working great for you.
Grouse, I could not be happier with the Henry Ball LTD. In my quest for the ultimate muzzleloader I have tried everything on the market, nothing comes close to touching this Savage! I realize that statement will open up a big can of controversy, but only from those who have not tried this gun. Savage needs to include this Web Site address with every gun purchased. It would save people alot of the initial aggravation. My hat is of to you guys, you have done a wonderful job with this site! Keep up the good work! :applause:

Latest posts

Back