just wondering

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spicygunner

Reaction score
i was just wondering if this was good for taking down a deer.

a in-line muzzleloader with three 50 grain Pyrodex Pellets with 209 primer, and 350 grain Harvester saber tooth belted muzzleloader bullets.

any comments/advice would be appreciated :D

It depends if it is accurate enough in your gun. It's also going to kick like a mule.

Why did you pick this load?

spicygunner said:

a in-line muzzleloader with three 50 grain Pyrodex Pellets with 209 primer, and 350 grain Harvester saber tooth belted muzzleloader bullets.

Not in a gun with a Spanish barrel. But that's just me.

i picked the 50 grain Pyrodex Pellets with 209 primer because i read it was the most consistant and relyable combination for a 50 cal inline, and i picked the 350 grain Harvester saber tooth belted muzzleloader bullets because its easier to load than sabots, and the slide on plastic belt created a better gas seal.my secondary choice for a muzzleloader bullet is a 348 grain swaged lead, copper plated Powerbelt. ive heard good things about it.

most likely a Knight Wolverine 209, and no i have not shot either load.I was just trying to have some loads chosen to try when i get my muzzleloader.

When I talked to knight, via e-mail, they told me my wolverine was only rated for a max charge of 120 grs pyrodex with a 300 gr projectile. Are the newer models rated higher?

i dont know, the wolverine is only one of a few muzzleloaders i am choosing between.Ill list the full list when i get back home.

here is my list(all .50 cal)

cva buckhorn rifle
wind river rifle
cva wolf rifle
sporter mag 209

my first question is can any of these handle the loads i was talking about? and second is what grain muzzleloader bullets can take a deer?

spicygunner said:
here is my list(all .50 cal)

cva buckhorn rifle
wind river rifle
cva wolf rifle
sporter mag 209

my first question is can any of these handle the loads i was talking about? and second is what grain muzzleloader bullets can take a deer?

There are only four manufactures i would by a MuzzLeloader from. Knight, T/C, Savage,H&R. The price range here is $160.00 on up.

Knowing what I know now and IF it were me starting out in muzzleloading:

Rifles:
Grouse pointed you in the right direction. Any .50cal Knight Wolverine 209, T/C Black Diamond, or NEF Sidekick would be fine. All fine rifles with a good history. Personally I stick the Wolverine 209 at the head of the pack..

Powder:
I'd buy LOOSE Triple Se7en ffg. Ain't no two ways about it.

Bullets:
Hornady .452 XTP 250gr
Barnes Expander 250gr
T/C 200gr Shockwave
One of these should shoot! All are saboted loads BTW...

Loads:
I'd use 90-110gr ffg Triple Se7en loose and spitpatch between shots if need be. That will probably be all you'll ever need

spicygunner said:

I used the 300 gr. sabertooths with two T7 pellets (T7 and pyrodex pellets are the supposed to be the same in velocity) last year in .50 Encore and killed two deer. Both bullets went completely through and left a big hole on both sides, that really is all you need out to 100 yds. So far this year the most accurate load with the 300 gr. bullet is 110 gr. T7 FFg loose. I like the pellets, just don't like the price.

Regardless of rifle, I would highly recommend you drop that charge down to two pellets - or buy some loose powder and a measure.

Latest posts

Back