Knight MK85 trigger questions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nocomike

Reaction score
I just unpacked a MK85 that didn't survive the shipping unscathed; the safety lever was bent to the point that it was gouged into the laminate stock. I removed the stock to inspect the trigger and noticed right off that there was no manufacturers name anywhere I could see. I thought the MK's were supposed to have Timneys. I call Timney and talk to a fellow that told me if it was a Timney it would be clearly marked on the housing. Any guesses as to what trigger this may be?

I hit Midway to check on availability of a new safety lever and apparently they don't sell them. Anyone know where a guy could pick up a new lever?

The trigger assembly will be heading back to the seller for him to sort out. I was tempted to try to bend it back but thought better of it as I don't want the thing to break outright in my hands. In the event this lever snaps off when the seller tries to bend it back, what replacement trigger model would fit a MK?

Finally, I got a call into Knight and left a message explaining the situation and asked for a quote on a replacement trigger in the event it comes to that.
Thoughts?

Someone must have swapped it out at some point. The non-timney are fine triggers but were made by someone else. All the lower level plungers had the non-timney triggers. But most of the ones I've seen are stamped "Knight" on them.

You can find them used. My guess is there's probably low chance of finding a Timney stamped trigger used, but they do show up once in a while. Ebay usually has triggers. You can check numrich also, they have been known to have them.

The "new" replacement will probably cost alot. Sorry to hear about your mishap.

Was it insured?

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

herschel conyers said:
Was it insured?

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk
I don't know about insurance, the dealer/store owner seems like he is going to make this right...we shall see.

WV Hunter said:
Here is one that is a stamped Timney.

Timney Trigger
The safety is shaped differently on my rifle. The part of the lever that your thumb makes contact with is a more horizontal piece and not a round spur like the one in your link. The one pictured in your link actually looks more durable...

Every one of the mk 85s I own would be considered vintage, pre Green Mountain barrels. Some of the triggers have Timney stamped on them and some do not. The triggers, I am sure, were not swapped out. I honestly cannot tell any difference in quality. Whether or not they were all made by Timney I cannot be sure but I don't think they are foreign made junk. So I wouldn't get too hung up on not seeing Timney stamped on there.
I had thought about bidding on the rifle you purchased, it looked very nice and clean, you paid a premium price, its a shame it wasn't packed properly. Good Luck in resolving this issue.
Art

nocomike said:
WV Hunter said:
Here is one that is a stamped Timney.

Timney Trigger
The safety is shaped differently on my rifle. The part of the lever that your thumb makes contact with is a more horizontal piece and not a round spur like the one in your link. The one pictured in your link actually looks more durable...
I actually prefer the older style like what you have on your rifle Mike.

flounder said:
Every one of the mk 85s I own would be considered vintage, pre Green Mountain barrels. Some of the triggers have Timney stamped on them and some do not. The triggers, I am sure, were not swapped out. I honestly cannot tell any difference in quality. Whether or not they were all made by Timney I cannot be sure but I don't think they are foreign made junk. So I wouldn't get too hung up on not seeing Timney stamped on there.
I had thought about bidding on the rifle you purchased, it looked very nice and clean, you paid a premium price, its a shame it wasn't packed properly. Good Luck in resolving this issue.
Art
I am happy with the rest of the rifle, it looks to have been fired very few times if at all. Excellent shape and a low 3000 serial number. I haven't measured for rate of twist as of yet so no idea which barrel it has. This is the trigger it has:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/KNIGHT-MUZZLEL ... Sw3fZaOAGp

Some Mk-85s did have a trigger that was not a Timney. I have an MK-85 and an LK-93 that both have this trigger and it is stamped (Made for Knight) on the safety lever. I do believe all of these "Copies" have 2 adjustments screws too, not 3 like the Timney's. At least is is how mine all are. I sort of remember some one said they might have been made by Bold, but I don't know that for sure.

My MK-95s all have Timney triggers and they are Stamped Timney on the safety lever. Both style triggers I have the safety lever is the round vertical style like in the link Mike posted.

I do have a trigger that sounds like the one you describe but it was in my Ridgerunner. It is an exact copy of the "Knight" style 2 screw trigger, but nothing is stamped on the safety lever. I would not advise trying to "Bend" it back, at least not without heat. This trigger that was n my Ridgerunner always slightly rubbed the action so one say I decided to try to bend it a smidgen so it would not rub. It snapped right off! :shock: :d'oh!: I stole the Timney out of my spare MK-95 and it works perfectly in the rifle. I posted for one here in the classifieds and no one seemed to have a spare. I have not found one on GB either and don't have an eBay account. Guess i might have to set one up as I can use a replacement.

One word of caution in buying one. Don't just look at the safety. Pay very particular attention to the sear that sticks up out of the trigger and engages the Plunger/bolt. There area couple different ones out there and they are not always interchangeable. I bought a spare for my Ultra Lite and it will not work in the MK's, as the sear is shorter and can't engage the plungers in the MK. The sear stick up taller in the triggers for the MK's.

nocomike said:
flounder said:
Art
I am happy with the rest of the rifle, it looks to have been fired very few times if at all. Excellent shape and a low 3000 serial number. I haven't measured for rate of twist as of yet so no idea which barrel it has. This is the trigger it has:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/KNIGHT-MUZZLEL ... Sw3fZaOAGp

The one in my Ridgerunner is just like that one but only has 2 screws.

I appreciate your advice regarding the differences and compatibility issues.

Mine all have the three screws whether they have Timney stamped on them or not.

Guess that in the end they were mixing and matching components.

flounder said:
By "in the end" what do you mean Shawn?
End of the MK-85 line.

I assume mine was one of the last of the line. It has the 2 screw "Knight stamped" trigger and came with what I think is a "Universal" hammer. It has the cone in it that can ignite 209 primers. It was a "New Old Stock" rifle when I got it, no previous owner to meddle with it.

Yeah the older versions had what I call the half moon safety. If you got it from a dealer flounder is probably right its probably the original.
Honestly, all the triggers that I've had have been good ....timney stamped or not. Hope they'll fix you up. :yeah:

ShawnT said:
flounder said:
End of the MK-85 line.

I assume mine was one of the last of the line. It has the 2 screw "Knight stamped" trigger and came with what I think is a "Universal" hammer. It has the cone in it that can ignite 209 primers. It was a "New Old Stock" rifle when I got it, no previous owner to meddle with it.

That's what I thought you meant by in the end. I have observed quite the opposite. I have owned quite a few mks and my experience has been that the older ones are the ones that do not have Timney stamped on the trigger or anything else stamped on them either. I don't know if they were a different trigger in the earliest years or if Timney did not stamp them at that time. They look and perform identically.

flounder said:
ShawnT said:
flounder said:
End of the MK-85 line.

That's what I thought you meant by in the end. I have observed quite the opposite. I have owned quite a few mks and my experience has been that the older ones are the ones that do not have Timney stamped on the trigger or anything else stamped on them either. I don't know if they were a different trigger in the earliest years or if Timney did not stamp them at that time. They look and perform identically.
I know you have seem many more than me. It was just my assumption that it was near the end. The Trigger works great but only has the 2 screw adjustments. I don't know when my LK-93 36cal was made but it has the same trigger.

Latest posts

Back