Knight MK85 trigger questions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most likely we are both right on this. I know the early mk 85's had a trigger with the three adjustment screws that was not stamped Timney. The rifle Mike purchased is one of these. Also, Knight did substitute parts at times and that might be the case with some of the last mk 85's that were put together. These later triggers, it seems, were a bit lesser quality with only the two adjusting screws. Probably the same trigger that was found on the lk-93's. I think they all go bang when you pull the trigger anyway. :)
Art

Have never had a Knight with a bad trigger no matter which trigger was in it, owned a bunch of the old MK-85`s and a few of the newer ones.. even their cheaper guns have nice triggers.

flounder said:
Most likely we are both right on this. I know the early mk 85's had a trigger with the three adjustment screws that was not stamped Timney. The rifle Mike purchased is one of these. Also, Knight did substitute parts at times and that might be the case with some of the last mk 85's that were put together. These later triggers, it seems, were a bit lesser quality with only the two adjusting screws. Probably the same trigger that was found on the lk-93's. I think they all go bang when you pull the trigger anyway. :)
Art
I have no clue about all the older ones and know you have a lot of info on those. I was only a little disappointed in the trigger in mine when I saw it was not a Timney 3 screw, but it works just fine and feels great so no real complaints. If there were one thing I would have complained about was that they put the hammer in it that had the cone tip to set off 209 primers yet it had the #11 nipple and plug. That little cone is very hard on nipples. I got tired of that nonsense and milled mine to a flat, no more nipple damage. :wink:

ShawnT said:
flounder said:
Art
I have no clue about all the older ones and know you have a lot of info on those. I was only a little disappointed in the trigger in mine when I saw it was not a Timney 3 screw, but it works just fine and feels great so no real complaints. If there were one thing I would have complained about was that they put the hammer in it that had the cone tip to set off 209 primers yet it had the #11 nipple and plug. That little cone is very hard on nipples. I got tired of that nonsense and milled mine to a flat, no more nipple damage. :wink:

That was the hammer that came in my bighorn. I didn't like it either. It was fine if you used 209's, but not so good on #11's. I remember the issues you had.

WV Hunter said:
ShawnT said:
flounder said:
Art

That was the hammer that came in my bighorn. I didn't like it either. It was fine if you used 209's, but not so good on #11's. I remember the issues you had.
Did you do anything to it?

This was mine before...
R0oM01W.jpg

This is after milling it flat. No more damaged nipples. :D
8Gnm3nU.jpg

I had the very same thing happen to a Black Knight I had. Bent the safety down into the stock while hunting. I took the trigger out of the stock and carefully bent the safety back up using needle nose pliers and a piece of leather to keep from scratching the finish. Was very easy to do and worked as good as new. I wouldn't think a new trigger would need to be purchased.

I have Timney stamped on the side of the housing and also on the side plate that's part of the safety.

halloflin said:
I had the very same thing happen to a Black Knight I had. Bent the safety down into the stock while hunting. I took the trigger out of the stock and carefully bent the safety back up using needle nose pliers and a piece of leather to keep from scratching the finish. Was very easy to do and worked as good as new. I wouldn't think a new trigger would need to be purchased.
That is exactly what I am hoping for but I did not want to take the risk of doing this myself in the remote event the bent piece cracks or breaks off. I figure if that happens when the seller attempts to bend it back then it is going to be his problem to get the trigger safety replaced which will not be easy to do, based on my preliminary research. I am unable to locate any replacement safety plates/latches and there is a question of whether Timney will be any help as they seem firm in their position of "if it is a Timney it is stamped as such". This trigger has no markings at all. It would seem a shame to have to buy a replacement trigger for a bent or broken part that should only cost a few bucks but that could be what happens if that piece breaks off.

Would be curious as to what you hear back from Velocity on trigger parts for your MK85. Have two in 54 caliber and while the safety lever has never been an issue for me, I can see it being a weak point - a spare would be nice to have. The older of the two (Predator model I believe, serial no. 2###) has a three adjustment screw unmarked Timney type trigger with the half moon safety. The other one is in the 100k serial number range and has a Knight marked two adjustment screw trigger with the round safety lever. Don't shoot either much anymore, but both are tack drivers with paper patched bullets.

GM54-120 said:
Velocity Trigger/Vehr Manufacturing made the Timney "clones" for Knight. The owner Tom Vehr actually worked at Timney and Knight at one time. Since they are no longer under a Knight contract they might be able to help now.

https://velocitytriggers.com/about/
Thanks for the info! I will be giving these folks a call first thing Monday morning.

This situation is finally settled. The seller broke the safety latch when he tried to bend it back. I had contacted Knight just prior to the seller breaking the latch and was told if needed to send the trigger to them and they would install a latch for me. The seller sent the trigger to Knight and the tech slapped a new one on and shipped it back to seller, who then managed to "misplace'' it for a few days before shipping it to me. I get the trigger with newly installed replacement latch and the trigger is frozen; as in not right, not functioning. Quick call to Knight and trigger is on it's way back to Iowa. While the trigger was bouncing from Pennsylvania to Iowa one of our members had very kindly sent me a Timney stamped latch from another MK85 that he happened to have as a spare. (Thanks, Bill!) When I shipped the trigger back to Knight I included the latch Bill sent. The tech installed the donor latch from Bill and made sure it was functioning by checking it on one of their plunger rifles. I just received the trigger this afternoon and got it mounted and it is good to go.

A word about the experience with Knight: The tech took care of this matter for me concerning a 30 year old rifle and with knowledge that I was not the original owner. Both times that trigger ended up on his bench it was shipped back in a single day. Communication was excellent. Grand total that I was billed for this unfortunate situation, NOT A PENNEY.

The only reason I bring this thread back is solely to point out the fantastic customer service I received from Knight Rifles and also to express my gratitude to one of our kind members for helping me out in a pinch.

That is great to hear, especially given that sometimes their cust svc has been spotty. Good luck with your new rig!
With 100gr pyro, 240-260gr bullets, and #11 caps ....it will drive tacks most likely :yeah:

It’s probably a Bold trigger . I know Doc even used some Knight triggers which I am sure were Bold cause I got a new trigger for a White years ago and Doc said he had to get it from Knight .
On others the sear being shorter was the only problem I had in trying to swap some triggers out between a White and a Knight
It’s basically a 98k Mauser aren’t they ??

1874sharpsshooter said:
It’s probably a Bold trigger . I know Doc even used some Knight triggers which I am sure were Bold cause I got a new trigger for a White years ago and Doc said he had to get it from Knight .
On others the sear being shorter was the only problem I had in trying to swap some triggers out between a White and a Knight
It’s basically a 98k Mauser aren’t they ??
I believe you are correct; at least that is what I have read on a few occasions.

the Mauser trigger will work, you just have to file the pin rings flat, and it doesn't have the safety
The deluxe version has a safety, Its almost common to see these reworked, as a good percentage of the knockoffs/adaptations have those half dips left from where the pin rings were.

Squeeze said:
the Mauser trigger will work, you just have to file the pin rings flat, and it doesn't have the safety
The deluxe version has a safety, Its almost common to see these reworked, as a good percentage of the knockoffs/adaptations have those half dips left from where the pin rings were.
This is the 98 Mauser I used before and I don’t remember having to do anything to it and it has the safety
I bought it at midway if I remember right. Been awhile so I forget sometimes

Attachments

• 3B92D6B6-0393-410F-B439-3F00DD1B683C.jpeg
    3B92D6B6-0393-410F-B439-3F00DD1B683C.jpeg
    80.1 KB · Views: 47

Latest posts

Back