Range day with the Optima pistol, chrono data

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris W.

Reaction score
I took the day off for the Labor day weekend and decided to make a trip to the range. My primary reason for going was to sight in a new 45-70 I purchased the other week but decided to take the CVA Optima V2 pistol along to run some shots through the chronograph. I hadn't chrono'd my hunting load from last season and wanted to see what it was clocking plus see what a little tweak in load volume would do.
It was a beautiful morning to shoot. Temp was in the low/mid 70's. Humidity was low. I'm shooting a CVA Optima V2 pistol sporting a 2x20 Nikon Force XR pistol scope. The breach plug is a modified plug by Ron Laughlin using savage vent liners. All shots were at 50 yards, off a rest, utilizing BH209 (measured by volume) and cci magnum 209 primers. The bullet is a 44 cal 225 gr. Barnes XPB paired with a Harvester crush rib sabot. I fired three shots through the chronograph with 85 gr and ended up shooting four shots using 90 gr due to an issue with the chrono on the third shot. Below is the data from the chrono readings along with the 90 gr, four shot target. The first three shots were right together and the fourth shot blew the group out just a bit. I rushed the shot and knew it when I pulled the trigger. I'm still happy though. The more I shoot this pistol, the more impressed I am with it.

85 gr BH209 w/ 225 gr. Barnes XPB And Harvester crush rib......Average 3 shots = 1561 fps

1. 1540 fps
2. 1578
3. 1565

90 gr BH209 w/ 225 gr. Barnes XPB And Harvester crush rib.....Average 3 shots = 1617 fps

1. 1608 fps
2. 1642
3. Error....muzzle blast knocked the front sun screen off the chrono...loll
4. 1603

The three shot group for the 85 gr load was similar to the 90 gr load....maybe a hair larger. I hunted with 85 grs last season but will be upping it to 90 grs for this Fall. A little extra power is never a bad thing when it still groups like that.

Attachments

• 20190830_132209.jpg
    20190830_132209.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 31
Nice range report, and them are some good numbers for that short little 14" barrel. 12" working bore after subtracting the breech plug and 1/4" BGM. Even less once you subtract the 1-3/4" to 1-7/8", 85 & 90 grain VOLUME powder column. So, the bullet basically has 10" of barrel to get up to speed.

I bought what is now referred to as a V1 back in 2011 when they were first available. I shoot the 200 grain Shockwave in supplied sabot over 80 grains by VOLUME Blackhorn 209. Several one hole 3 shot groups at 50 yards off a bag and bench. That load only clocks 1510 FPS @ 10 feet from the muzzle, but kills deer dead out to my self imposed limit of 75 yards. It will outshoot several rifles with that load at that distance. Was my first CVA, but it is not the last. I also have a 2017 CVA Scout V2 TD in .450 Bushmaster that will shoot one hole groups at 100 yards all day long, even with factory ammo.

Both of them have outstanding factory triggers, and shoot little bug hole groups. Love 'em!

Last edited:
I also have a 2017 CVA Scout V2 TD in .450 Bushmaster that will shoot one hole groups at 100 yards all day long, even with factory ammo. Both of them have outstanding factory triggers, and shoot little bug hole groups. Love 'em!

I also have an Optima V2 rifle and I will say that the triggers on both the pistol and the rifle are some of the best factory triggers I've shot.

Your target looked pretty much like mine on the range day with the pistol. Same bullets, smooth green Harvester sabot. I found it amazing how much less the recoil was using the Barnes bullet compared to the 240’s in both XTP and Dead Curls in.44 cal.

Thanks for the chrono work, Chris.

Your target looked pretty much like mine on the range day with the pistol. Same bullets, smooth green Harvester sabot. I found it amazing how much less the recoil was using the Barnes bullet compared to the 240’s in both XTP and Dead Curls in.44 cal.

Thanks for the chrono work, Chris.
I knew you'd find those chrono numbers interesting since we shoot similar loads out of our pistols. I was actually a bit surprised. They were a touch higher than I expected. I'm really curious to see how this load performs on whitetail this Fall. That 225. gr hollow point should perform really well at those velocities.

Sounds like a good day at the range, nice shooging! How do you like the Nikon pistol scope?
I like it. Good field of view, the optics are clear and sharp. I wanted something simple so the fixed 2x20 was a good fit. So far, I have zero complaints

Latest posts

Back