Lets talk about TC Shock Waves

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GM54-120 said:
TripleSe7en said:
That might be the only website on earth that has any Partitions left. Get em' before they're gone forever. Been discontinued for years now.
I may have ordered three boxes, had they been .452s instead.

Then you may want to avoid most Barnes also. Many, if not all the Barnes 45cal bullets actually measure .451ish. IIRC the last time i measured the Partitions i got roughly .4515 or slightly larger. I still have several boxes of them from Wideners.

My Barnes Expanders are miked .452. Only Barnes I ever purchased. They are tougher to load than my 230 gr. XTPs, which are .451 and I don't want a repeat of that ordering .451 Partitions. Too loose with my Blackhorn. For whatever reason, I need a bullet that makes me grunt loading it, for best accuracy and consistency using Blackhorn. Anything loose in sabots or conicals just won't fly straight nor far.

Only issue I have with Blackhorn so far. I already miss easy-loading and bullet holes near bullseyes. :drool:

TripleSe7en said:
GM54-120 said:
TripleSe7en said:
That might be the only website on earth that has any Partitions left. Get em' before they're gone forever. Been discontinued for years now.
I may have ordered three boxes, had they been .452s instead.

Then you may want to avoid most Barnes also. Many, if not all the Barnes 45cal bullets actually measure .451ish. IIRC the last time i measured the Partitions i got roughly .4515 or slightly larger. I still have several boxes of them from Wideners.

My Barnes Expanders are miked .452. Only Barnes I ever purchased. They are tougher to load than my 230 gr. XTPs, which are .451 and I don't want a repeat of that ordering .451 Partitions. Too loose with my Blackhorn. For whatever reason, I need a bullet that makes me grunt loading it, for best accuracy and consistency using Blackhorn. Anything loose in sabots or conicals just won't fly straight nor far.

Only issue I have with Blackhorn so far. I already miss easy-loading and bullet holes near bullseyes. :drool:

Thats odd, even Barnes lists them as .451. The light 225gr XPBs ive measured are not even .451 the full length. The base is even smaller. I would imagine the 230gr XTP has a shorter bearing surface vs the Barnes. Ive shot quite a few different Barnes and they all measured under .452 except the SOCOMS.
http://www.barnesbullets.com/shop/

I simply swap out to the MMP black short sabot when i want a tight fit. Luckily i don't seem to need a tight fit for reliability or accuracy in the majority of my loads.

Where are you guys getting your bullets? Are you buying everything in bulk ? I'd like to switch and try some of these but not spend an arm and a leg then have a bunch of expensive bullets my gun doesn't like. Just curious where the best place to order them would be

I used the short MMP with those XTPs back in early April . Still loose down the bore, unlke the Expanders using the exact same sabot. My 45-cal Shockwaves load with the same resistance as my Expanders.

Hopefully the Partitions work well downrange for any future purchasers using Blackhorn powder. The nice part of this sport is the differing bore diameters. So bullets generally all get used eventually, when owning more than one same caliber ML.

Those 45-cal Expanders I have remaining are several from a box of 24 that I purchased about 10 years ago. So back then Barnes may have been producing them a little fatter than today.

Creekrunner said:
Where are you guys getting your bullets? Are you buying everything in bulk ? I'd like to switch and try some of these but not spend an arm and a leg then have a bunch of expensive bullets my gun doesn't like. Just curious where the best place to order them would be

I really prefer to buy the bullets in boxes and then match the sabot that I want to use to the bullet and the bore.

Which rifle are you shooting - I can not remember if you posted that or not.

I consider myself pretty fortunate because the inline ML's that I have shoot most any bullet and powder combination I might want to use in a hunting situation very well. If I were shooting paper for money I would have to be more selective about the bullets that I used.

I also understand your concern about purchasing something that might not work that well for you especially when you consider the price of some of the quality bullets is approaching a $1 or more. Again for myself I am able to sub a good production bullet for target practice and or plinking saving my good bullets for checking POI before hunting season and for use during hunting season.

Midway - Gamaliel - Midsouth - Wholesale Hunter - Grafs & Sons . just some of the places I have used.

Right now I'm hunting with a pro hunter and with 100 grains of BH and a 250 SST I'm getting .75" groups I have tried both the tz and tez and I was getting 2-3" groups. But I am also putting together a 700 ml and converting it to BH but I am not sure I am going to be as finicky with it its so short and light it might get the vortex 1x and be my stalking close range gun. I've used midway but I'll look into the other thanks

Al-53 said:
I my self like the barnes or Blood lines...but I have used and taken deer with both the SST (shockwaves) and also XTP's with no problems...I find that people hunting in areas that will allow a shot of 100 or less yards load the rifle with maximum powder loads like they were shooting 200+ yards...well these bullets have a set FPS where effective and work properly...if pushed to fast they either grenade on contact or push right through if no bone hit...

where I hunt I have shots mostly out to 70 yards maybe a 100 tops...I use a 90 grain charge and the bullets perform as they should...

but as far as a all around performance bullet...Barnes or blood Lines are great..solid copper or brass bullets so no jacket seperation...and can be pushed to the limits...

I wish the good bullets were still around...A frames..deep curls..gold dots..partitions...Swift...

You can still get the Swift A-Frame in 44 and 45 cal, at least last I looked. They are not prepacked with sabots anywhere I know of. You have to look for the boxed Pistol bullets. They are ridiculously expensive, but a great bullet. Similar idea to the Partition. Knight Used to pre pack them with sabots. The Bear in my avatar fell to a .452 300grain A-Frame.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/384854 ... uctFinding

I now one thing for sure now.Once I get back from my Colorado elk hunt the scope will be going back on and it will be sighted in with the 200grain shock waves.Once we get closer to hunting season it will be resighted with 250 grain Barnes Expanders. :yeah:

I will shoot the Shock Waves up at the range and save the best for deer hunting.

stout load of 777 too :yeah:

Best price I get from Carlos is PT Gold is .50 ea with sabots. Barnes is .92 ea with sabots.

I don't believe he sells the Bloodlines anymore unless he still has some leftover.

Actualy ..Knights price for blood lines is not bad...cheaper than what i see them in stores for by 5.00 at least

when i ordered some stuff for the mountaineer I got 3 packs of blood lines.. I have shot 5 so far to see how they fly ..and they are lasers...

How are they sized? In other-words if a Barnes T-EZ is a good tight fit in my bore with the blue sabots they come with. What Bloodline-sabot would I use? Something under 300gr.

Pete the sabot that comes the blood line works good in my Accura and also my MR as I know you have a CVA..it fits the knight good also...I think they are the MMP EZ loads...I use the 250 grain ones....

I also like the the Knight red hots which are barnes...look the same as the barnes expanders...

Al

I have the MR with Nitride which seems to be a bit tighter bore. The T-EZ is a pretty hard push on a squeaky clean bore. Luckily with BH it stays that way with no swabbing. So, I couldn't use anything larger. Even another .001 will be too hard.

Barnes TEZ sabots should be MMP HPH-24s. Harvester Black smooth (for under 300gr) should load just a tad easier.

Pete,
When I first got my MR with the nitrite barrel I had gave it 60 to 80 strokes with JB BORE PASTE. I then went to the range and my Barnes TEZ's with the blue sabot were pretty tight. My bore is .500.........The last 2 times out I used the TEZ'S with the Harvester EZ LOAD black smooth sabots and they were a lot better going down the barrel. The accuracy with the EZ LOAD sabots were good also. CHECK SHOOTING RANGE on FML'ing.
Now, the BARNES TEZ's go down the barrel with just right amount of resistance with their BLUE SABOT they come with.
FYI, The Horandy MONO FLEX ML's .452 work great in the MR's with nitrite. Accuracy is awesome.They come with their own sabot and Carlos has them. Price is good also. :wink:

Ray................. :yeah:

:think:
What happened to your side locks :?:

Sorry jcb if I high jacked your post :prayer:

Can't deal with open sights anymore Ray. Plus, I ruptured a disc in my lower back 6 weeks ago, and that long 39" barrel on my sidelock was hard on my lower back. I needed a light, short barreled gun that I could put a low powered scope on. The MR was perfect for that. I use a 1.5x4.5x33 scope, and just leave it on 1.5x. Much better for this broken up old man.

Thanks for the info on the sabots guys. How do the Harvester black CR sabots compare to the T-EZ blue sabots? I seem to remember they're a bit thinner?

Crushribs OD measures extremely close to the Harvester Smooths but they do feel easier to load to me. My ULA is spot on .500 though and the Smooths load quite well.... That bore is hand lapped and butter smooth so your results may vary. I prefer the Black Smooth (for under 300gr) its shorter of course and feels like it loads easier than the longer black smooth sabot.

The next smallest are the red 3 petal sabots that come with most SSTs. That is the same sabot as the MMP 3P-EZ. T/C offers a 2 petal sabot that is even smaller loaded OD. Both are pretty small IMO for a .500 bore

Sorry to hear that Pete. Hope it all works out for you this season. Crushed black Harvester sabot worked but IMHO, the seal was better with the EZ LOAD. I felt that the smooth sabot gave the bullet a little tighter seal in the barrel and there fore the pressure build up would make give a better performance with the bullet. IMHO :!:

Ray..................:yeah:

I have no reason to change the Barnes sabots. They fit tight, and I can still load after 10 shots with no swabbing. My concern is if I try the Bloodlines what would be the best sabot to use? I guess the ones it comes with will work.

My bore is smooth and accurate. I'm not messing with JB on it.

One of my favorite loads is the Harvester Black Smooth (short) and the Barnes 45LC 225gr XPB for deer. Since you shoot mostly close range, you would probably love this load. This combo loads very well in my Douglas .500 bore and recoil is very mild.

Bullet performance is stellar even at very low fps, they seem to always expand into that beautiful Barnes "death star" since they are made for 45 Long Colt velocity. All my bullet recoveries have been in media but they are all very predictable and uniform even when pushed very very fast.

Im fairly sure Knight is also using the HPH-24 with the .452 Bloodlines. They just had MMP dye them a different color.

Back