Light weight bullets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mossie

Reaction score
I have a RMC 50 caliber flintlock with 1/28 twist and it shoots 300 grain Hornady xtp bullets great and 250 grain Hornady xtp not too bad (around 3" at 100) both with 90 to 100 grains of 2f. My question is this. It appears that it likes heavier bullets but was curious if anyone shoots 180-230 grain bullets out of their 1/28 twist rifle with good accuracy at 90-100 grains of 2f. I hate to buy a box of 100 and not have them group well. I also was interested in how good of groups they get when using 44 caliber bullets and sabots? (I have been using 300-250 grain .452 and short black mmp sabot) Are the 180-230 pistol bullets too light for deer? This rifle has a Green Mountian barrel so I think the Knight rifles have similar barrels although most probably don't use Black Powder with them.

A 1 in 48 twist will shoot a 200 grain Hornady just fine, so a 1-28 should do the same. Most of the 240 are quite hard, but the 200 is more like a round ball. They do expand! :shock:

Never shot the 180s, but the 200 is a fine deer load :!:

I shot some 230 grain Thompson Center Spitfires and they shot all right, but I had better luck with other projectiles... I know what you mean about buying projectiles only to find out that they are no good. I have a few boxes around like that..

Good luck with your rifle. I would stick with the 300 grain XTP myself. You could not get a better projectile.

Back