Load stuck in barrel

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tburt

Reaction score
I have a customer who brought his CVA to me with a load in the barrel. It will not budge I even tried to press it out with no luck. They said it has been in the barrel for 2 to 3 years and they tried to shoot it . I think the powder just burnt and melted sleeve over the sabot. Any thoughts or suggestions?

is it an inline or traditional? Start by oiling the barrel behind and in front of the bullet. if it is an inline, pull the breach plug and tap it out with a range rod. With a traditional muzzleloader you can try bumping it down to free it up, then get a good bullet puller on a good range rod. I have a brass range rod that I made a slide hammer for out of a chunk of lead. Make sure the ball puller is turned in solid and start pulling with the slide hammer. the sudden jolt works way better than just pulling. If you don't have a slide hammer you can take a strong cord and tie it on to the handle of the rod leaving a length to jerk on. Good luck.

Depending on what powder the loaded n left in the barrel. Humidity n drying it may have turned into carbon if shot & not cleaned. If its a Traditional barrel n you don't get it out. Then you can cut the barrel at bullet area. D&T barrel n turn it into a carbine.

is it an inline or traditional? Start by oiling the barrel behind and in front of the bullet. if it is an inline, pull the breach plug and tap it out with a range rod. With a traditional muzzleloader you can try bumping it down to free it up, then get a good bullet puller on a good range rod. I have a brass range rod that I made a slide hammer for out of a chunk of lead. Make sure the ball puller is turned in solid and start pulling with the slide hammer. the sudden jolt works way better than just pulling. If you don't have a slide hammer you can take a strong cord and tie it on to the handle of the rod leaving a length to jerk on. Good luck.
Yes it is an inline I did soak it in different lubes with no luck on it moving even after I tried to press it out.

Yikes. All thread is fairly soft by steel standards and subject to buckling in a straight load. Possible it buckled into the side of the bore before it got the press load to the intended piece?

Did you try an air compressor over the nipple? I've had good luck with that method

Back