Loading From The Breech

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldranger

Reaction score
I'm old and I shoot a stout load so I have a muzzle break and i use a wad which complicates muzzle loading. I havnt tried this but I don't see a problem. A breech plug that is easily removed is required. Measure where the base of the bullet rests when loaded with your particular powder load. Cut your powder funnel tube off to seat the bullet from the breech when it rests against the end of the barrel. Pour powder in and reinstall the breech plug. I would probably place the bullet a little long and use the ramrod to be safe, but this step may not be necessary.

I wouldn't characterize the elimination of the ramrod as """ the long way around."""

I wouldn't characterize the elimination of the ramrod as """ the long way around."""
10-4. You had still mentioned needing it.

I guess I see it as taking double the time.

Unscrewing breech plug, loading, screwing plug back in, using rod to make sure bullet is seated firmly on powder.

I guess I see that as the long way around.

What will you be pushing the bullet up the breech end with?

May not need ramrod. I'm not sure.
You seat the bullet with the funnel that you must use when muzzleloading powder with a break.
This was explained in the original post.

Could be. Do they care ? In Ohio it's legal to use a rifle that outperforms a .308 because it's a straight walled """ pistol """
caliber.

May not need ramrod. I'm not sure.
You seat the bullet with the funnel that you must use when muzzleloading powder with a break.
This was explained in the original post.
How else would you make sure the bullet is seated firmly on the powder?

I understand the funnel but it will still take some sort of tool to push the bullet a few inches into the barrel won't it or is there an unrifled oversized section at breech end?

Not trying to be smart here just wondering.

Last edited:
But aren't you technically breaking the law when you hunt with a breech loader rifle (during ML season) instead of a muzzle loader?
It would still be a muzzleloader, no different than any of the other rifles with a removable breech plug unless those are illegal as well in whatever state he is hunting.

How else would you make sure the bullet is seated firmly on the powder?

I understand the funnel but it will still take some sort of tool to push the bullet a few inches into the barrel won't it or is there an unrifled oversized section at breech end?

Not trying to be smart here just wondering.
the funnel is the push tool. you cut it to the length of a properly loaded bullet.
Its going to be very close. idk, cut it a tad short and let the powder push it when
you screw in the plug. Is the load compressed ? is this any different than the folks
i see tapping on their ramrods ?

But aren't you technically breaking the law when you hunt with a breech loader rifle (during ML season) instead of a muzzle loader?
Updated as of 4/6/2020 - MUZZLELOADING RIFLE AND MUZZLELOADING SHOTGUN means a primitive weapon that is loaded exclusively from the muzzle and has a permanent breech plug.

Most if not all of the in line muzzleloaders are illegal by this defination.

Scope won't be in the way?
No, no different. As long as you have the strength to get the powder compressed with plug.

Use a tool to tighten or hand tighten?

Updated as of 4/6/2020 - MUZZLELOADING RIFLE AND MUZZLELOADING SHOTGUN means a primitive weapon that is loaded exclusively from the muzzle and has a permanent breech plug.

Most if not all of the in line muzzleloaders are illegal by this defination.
What state?

Could still use in regular firearms seasons if available, just not muzzy specific seasons.

Latest posts

Back