Loading From The Breech

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So you would be leaving your funnel however long to get the bullet up in the bore a little dab?

Iffin some powder gets in the breech plug screw threads in the barrel then seating the breech plug will be near impossible. You might be ok using pellets.

Iffin some powder gets in the breech plug screw threads in the barrel then seating the breech plug will be near impossible. You might be ok using pellets.
funnel will put powder past the threads as it does for the muzzle brake.

What the OP is describing has been done with both BP and smokeless, both loose powder and brass cases, and the bullet could be loaded from the muzzle or breach. They were usually heavy target rifles. I'm trying to find which one of my books contains a detailed discussion of these muzzle-and-breech-loading target rifles.

The principle has also been used with cannon like the U.S. Navy 16 inch guns. Both the projectile and powder were rammed into the cannon from the breech. An interrupted or stepped screw was the removable breech plug.

https://www.eugeneleeslover.com/USNAVY/GUN-BARL-CONSTRUCTION-1.html
My avatar is the pinnacle of this technology. Gerald Bull's High Altitude Research Project (HARP) gun.

There is no advantage in doing this. If the only problem your having loading from the muzzle is loading the wad because of the muzzle brake, then use a little lube to stick the wad to the bottom of the bullet and drop it in.

Your going to have more issues aligning a bullet and the wad into the bore from the breech end, as the dia of the BP threads is much larger than the bore. At the muzzle, you have a chamfer on the bore to align a wad and bullet to start it. At the Breech, the bore has a sharp corner, making it very difficult to start a bullet and wad. Its just not a good thing to do if you ask me.

Last edited:
You have just re-invented the Traditions Nitrofire muzzleloader with the Firestick now legal is some states, which was a re-invention of the idea used by gunsmith Harry M. Pope, who loaded the cartridge from the breech and the bullet from the muzzle.

If you could get a brass or steel "cartridge" made with a O-ring near the end of the neck, it might be helpful and you might even be able to use the extractor to remove it. H-R had a break-action muzzleloader many years ago with an O-ring seal.

I don't think shooting sabots out a muzzel brake Is a good idea, I would check with cva on that . I would not load from the breach plug at all read the manual from cva and follow what they say just be safe with what you do

I'm old and I shoot a stout load so I have a muzzle break and i use a wad which complicates muzzle loading. I havnt tried this but I don't see a problem. A breech plug that is easily removed is required. Measure where the base of the bullet rests when loaded with your particular powder load. Cut your powder funnel tube off to seat the bullet from the breech when it rests against the end of the barrel. Pour powder in and reinstall the breech plug. I would probably place the bullet a little long and use the ramrod to be safe, but this step may not be necessary.
Does your muzzle brake screw on? Great. It ain’t gonna come loose after 1 shot.
So. Take the shot. Unscrew the brake. Load in the conventional way. Re-install the brake, just finger-tight.
And you’re in business.

I don't think the brake is the issue. I am betting it is a very tight fitting load.

Last edited:
I dont think sabots like brakes are designed for sabots they open very fast depending on the wall thickness and they are 3 or 4 pedals and how fast they or traveling. I have played with sabot with rifled barrels and found out that porting is better than brakes . Brakes reduce recoil and porting reduces muzzel upward lift. It is a total difference when a brake is used and porting , porting is for fast follow up shots. Muzzel brakes are tuned for bore not bullet. A sabot will open and snag the brake and make the bullet wobble in flight before it separates. All the brake does blow smoke horizontally for better view at target for black powder, but Smokeless is much different speed more pressere

Get the nitro fire if doing that.dont have to worry about the bullet being on powder the bore has a bullet stop in bore. You have to use the nitro fire module to load from breach .not leagle in most states for hunting.

Latest posts

Back