Loading From The Breech

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm old and I shoot a stout load so I have a muzzle break and i use a wad which complicates muzzle loading. I havnt tried this but I don't see a problem. A breech plug that is easily removed is required. Measure where the base of the bullet rests when loaded with your particular powder load. Cut your powder funnel tube off to seat the bullet from the breech when it rests against the end of the barrel. Pour powder in and reinstall the breech plug. I would probably place the bullet a little long and use the ramrod to be safe, but this step may not be necessary.
I have shot with a break extensively and have loaded with a custom funnel. This is with sized bullets and wads ( veggie, wool ) and I have never had a problem loading from the muzzle. Is your funnel made to fit your break? If not you may want to check into having one made. What you are considering sounds like a giant PITA.

I dont think sabots like brakes are designed for sabots they open very fast depending on the wall thickness and they are 3 or 4 pedals and how fast they or traveling. I have played with sabot with rifled barrels and found out that porting is better than brakes . Brakes reduce recoil and porting reduces muzzel upward lift. It is a total difference when a brake is used and porting , porting is for fast follow up shots. Muzzel brakes are tuned for bore not bullet. A sabot will open and snag the brake and make the bullet wobble in flight before it separates. All the brake does blow smoke horizontally for better view at target for black powder, but Smokeless is much different speed more pressere
My Ultimate Firearms Black Widow shot saboted bullets just fine through a custom sized radial brake. The sabot doesn't open until it is out of the brake. Some guys shoot sabots through tactical brakes also with no problems. Nice thing about a brake is when you are done shooting, just screw it off and clean/store in in the cleaning solvent of your choice. Porting probably has some applications, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

I'm not having any issues, with breaks, funnels, or rods.
Just offering an alternative to loading down the muzzle.
unscrew breech plug.
push bullet into barrel.
pour powder in .
replace breech plug.

unscrew breech plug.
push bullet into barrel.
pour powder in .
replace breech plug.
The word "complicates" in first sentence of original post makes it sound like there "is an issue" with something in the loading process.

unscrew breech plug.
push bullet into barrel.
pour powder in .
replace breech plug.
Cool. If its working for you don't change it. You know that old saying? “There’s more than one way to skin(load) a cat(muzzleloader)”. Outside the box thinking, it may not be for everyone but sometimes great things come from it.

..................I have shot with a break extensively and have loaded with a custom funnel. This is with sized bullets and wads ( veggie, wool ) and I have never had a problem loading from the muzzle. Is your funnel made to fit your break? If not you may want to check into having one made. What you are considering sounds like a giant PITA.
THAT.

I dont think sabots like brakes are designed for sabots they open very fast depending on the wall thickness and they are 3 or 4 pedals and how fast they or traveling. I have played with sabot with rifled barrels and found out that porting is better than brakes . Brakes reduce recoil and porting reduces muzzel upward lift. It is a total difference when a brake is used and porting , porting is for fast follow up shots. Muzzel brakes are tuned for bore not bullet. A sabot will open and snag the brake and make the bullet wobble in flight before it separates. All the brake does blow smoke horizontally for better view at target for black powder, but Smokeless is much different speed more pressere
I'm not sure where this train of thought came from but, its incorrect information about quality brakes.

If....... the person/business making the brake knows what they're doing, you certainly can shoot sabots through brakes, especially radial brakes. Bullets will not wobble.

Load through funnels are the way to load using a wad. Breech loading? PITA.

I've shot thousands of rounds with sabots through a radial brake with no wobbling whatsoever.

Example:

1671199427317.jpeg

Updated as of 4/6/2020 - MUZZLELOADING RIFLE AND MUZZLELOADING SHOTGUN means a primitive weapon that is loaded exclusively from the muzzle and has a permanent breech plug.

Most if not all of the in line muzzleloaders are illegal by this defination.
I had to gasp a little when I read permanent breech plug. Interesting. I guess maybe my inline might not be legal.

I had to gasp a little when I read permanent breech plug. Interesting. I guess maybe my inline might not be legal.
I doubt that. No gun has a “permanent” breechplug, it’s just a question of what’s required to remove it. Somewhere in the regulations is probably a definition of permanent breech plug.

I doubt that. No gun has a “permanent” breechplug, it’s just a question of what’s required to remove it. Somewhere in the regulations is probably a definition of permanent breech plug.
I'd argue that you are correct. My Mossberg for example, technically, has a "removable" breech plug, but I'll be darned I can't find a removal tool. Currently I know of no way to remove it. But the sketch in the instructions show a cross sectional view of a threaded plug.

I'd argue that you are correct. My Mossberg for example, technically, has a "removable" breech plug, but I'll be darned I can't find a removal tool. Currently I know of no way to remove it. But the sketch in the instructions show a cross sectional view of a threaded plug.
I never could figure how it comes out either. I bet the Conservation officer would immediately start writing a ticket if they see you hunting with one of those in ML season, til you can explain it.

I'm old and I shoot a stout load so I have a muzzle break and i use a wad which complicates muzzle loading. I havnt tried this but I don't see a problem. A breech plug that is easily removed is required. Measure where the base of the bullet rests when loaded with your particular powder load. Cut your powder funnel tube off to seat the bullet from the breech when it rests against the end of the barrel. Pour powder in and reinstall the breech plug. I would probably place the bullet a little long and use the ramrod to be safe, but this step may not be necessary.
I can see where this may be helpful to some that have a tight/choked muzzle or a looser bore farther down. Like in some CVA 45s that might need a .458 at the powder but only a .452 at the muzzle. I bet a sabot/bullet would be a huge pita to load from the breech. Maybe a good machinist could put a very slight crown in the rifling to help load/align a conical easier. Also a short starter made to the appropriate length with a bore guide on it might help too. Im just thinking about one break action ML gun i had with a choked muzzle(no brake). Heck if you shot t7 then the crud ring would tell you right where to stop the bullet. Its all just theoretical anyway or maybe something to mess around with if someone gets bored and cabin fever. :snipe:

Latest posts

Back