Loading spin jag

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There’s also a spin type jag that was available through precision rifle, the makers of the dead center bullets. They call it a super rat I think and it stands for rotating accuracy tool.

I see nothing wrong with not using a jag when hunting. I've been doing it for years. However, my first shot I load at home and use a jag. Only once did I have to reload while hunting when I shot a 4 pointer and while gutting it a six pointer came along. That end that deer season.

Last edited:
I always use a Spinjag. I was told that your rifle might shoot more accurately without the ramrod in the thimbles. For sure, if you hunt with the ramrod in the thimble, then you want to practice with it the same way. That is a good reason for a range rod. I saw a small difference in accuracy without the ramrod, so I started carrrying it in my pack. I caught it on a tree branch and it pulled out of my pack. That turned out to be a major inconvenience, but I eventually found it.

To fix the problem, I took a shotgun cleaning rod, took the handle off, and cut it to the length I needed. I rethreaded the handle end and replaced the handle. I bought an adapter from Eastern Maine Shooting Supplies. Now I have a two piece ramrod that fits inside the pack. It is no more trouble to screw the rod together, than to screw the jag on. If you carry a patch puller, you'll need to make sure it fits the ramrod. Ask me how I know.

I've never had the need and the chance for a quick followup shot on a single deer. Even on elk, they either drop, run, or wait for me to reload. I swab between shots even when hunting.

I think I'll just continue to screw the jag on the ramrod for follow up loading.

Do you take out the ramrod, screw on the jag then load? I told you it was a dumb question.
I shoot a CVA Accura V2 Prairie Rifle and my ramrod has their palm saver on the muzzle end. The Spin Jag ramrod goes into the thimbles backwards with the jag at the muzzle. You'd have to either load with no ball on the palm end or screw one on before you load. I see no advantage to that vs how I do it. I have a Spin Jag on my bullet starter and then a Traditions spinning jag in my possibles bag that I screw on to my ramrod... which I do as soon as I get in my ground blind. Everything I need for a second shot is right there should I need it. Obviously if you were stalk hunting then that wouldn't work but I'm too old and fat for such shenanigans so I sit my butt in my chair, puff my pipe and wait.

Yep. Either remove the ramrod and attach the jag or leave the ramrod and attach the jag after the shot. That's what I did this year but in the past I have not used a jag at all, just use the ramrod. But that's where witness marks begin to fail. Ok, I think I'll order a spin jag. Anybody see better than $25.50 with shipping? That's directly from Spin Jag.

I've always gotten my stuff directly from them.

If I had a rifle with the stupid factory palmsaver, I'd order a GI ramrod with spinjag on it and put it in the right way (like Fire Hawk's pic above). I don't need a palmsaver for a hunting rifle. But thats me. Can't say enough about how good the spinjag products are. Top quality and great folks.

Good discussion here. I ordered a couple spin jags and poly tip load adapter. But I also have the barnes bullet loader on order too. I hadn't thought of a rod made to include the length of the jag. I'm gonna have to do that

They have pre sized rods to fit perfectly - flush with the end of your barrel (with the spin jag on it) for many rifles. Just check with them for whatever rifle you have and they'll tell you if they have it already sized up for your rifle. If not, you can measure and they'll make you the right size. :lewis:

Last edited:
I've had a T/C loading jag about 4" long with the head that spins...well I just broke it, soft brass snapped at the threads. Looks like t/c no longer offers this jag with the spin head. Does anybody else make one? I like the idea that when loading the jag will spin with the bullet.

Is it beyond repair? If you like it, why don't you fix it? Many hardware stores sell a drill/tap combination. Pick up a long set screw too. Smooth the base of the jag and mark it with a center punch. Then drill and tap the jag and insert the set screw. Should be an easy fix.

Back