Looking for recommendations for scope shim.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I picked up a set of medium Talley rings for my new Knight Disc Extreme. I tried mounting 3 different scopes, 2x7x35, 3-9x40 and finally 4.5-14x42. I could only operate the bolt with the 3rd scope, (barely), and it was touching the barrel ever so slightly up front. I positioned things as far forward as I could while still being able to have the correct eye relief and added a piece of plastic between the ring and scope. Actually I cut 2 petals off of a sabot and used that. My question is should I used something other than plastic for shims? Talley doesn’t offer higher rings or I would exchange these. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I've occasionally shimmed scope rings and used strips from an aluminum can. Are these the rings or the mount/ring all in one?
You can also shim the base if the screws are long enough to get a good bite in the holes - at least 3 or 4 full threads.
I've almost always used Weaver style bases and rings. Another thing you can do is get risers for the base but then you have another thing that can come loose but better than shims. You can get a riser as low as 1/4".

Last edited:
I've occasionally shimmed scope rings and used strips from an aluminum can. Are these the rings or the mount/ring all in one?
You can also shim the base if the screws are long enough to get a good bite in the holes - at least 3 or 4 full threads.
I've almost always used Weaver style bases and rings. Another thing you can do is get risers for the base but then you have another thing that can come loose but better than shims. You can get a riser as low as 1/4".
Mount and ring all in one. If this doesn’t work, I’ll have to try the aluminum trick.

Yeah, aluminum can shims work well but it sounds like you may need more than .003-.004” that an aluminum can shim will give you.

Why cobble it up? "Bite the bullet" and use higher rings, which is exactly what it needed.
You're not going to get the height needed using aluminum shims.
Using plastic petals will likely cause you problems down the road as the plastic softens.
If you don't have the money or time to do it right the first time, where will you get the money and time to do it over?

I would contact Talley. They're good people and might be willing to offer an exchange of some manner to get you the height you need.

Yes, contact Talley. I talked to the main fellow there several years ago about their pair of bases to mount a scope on a Mauser action. He was great.
The action had been modified slightly and the rear base did not quite fit right. He told me that if I could tell him precisely what was needed, by micrometer measurement, his machinist would make a perfect-fitting base. Or, he said, shim the rear Talley base with Bondo. Apparently, Bondo is so strong that the clamping action of the base screws does not crush it, at least with a relatively thin "shim". ( That takes some finesse with Bondo, mixing it at correct amounts to get right color and neither too slow nor to fast "set". Practice first!) And be sure to first clean the rifle's shim site and the base well , with acetone preferably.
But I wouldn't expect any substantial elevation to be created with Bondo shim, given the significant recoil of many MLs. Again, the highly knowledgeable main fellow at Talley should be able to advise you well.
Aloha, Ka'imiloa

Use a nice with a smaller front bell such as a straight tube or the older Weaver scope with the t/v view front

If you want to use that scope you need to get a taller base I recommend having a 1/4 in. From the barrel on the objective side. Sounds like it's to close to the bolt action anyway. You have to shim alot to get the clearance it will never hold 0 for long you will will end up getting higher base setup in the end. I have been down that road before. Call the company up and see if they will trade up bases and you pay the difference you never know what they might do good luck on your scope set up.

Like others, I suggest getting a taller base/ring or getting separate rings and base. Shims are a short-term fix and can often lead to other issues down the line. I'd never use bondo anywhere on a sight system. While I feel 1/4" is too much stand-off between the scope bell and barrel, I think 1/8 is the least amount of area between the scope and barrel.

Like others, I suggest getting a taller base/ring or getting separate rings and base. Shims are a short-term fix and can often lead to other issues down the line. I'd never use bondo anywhere on a sight system. While I feel 1/4" is too much stand-off between the scope bell and barrel, I think 1/8 is the least amount of area between the scope and barrel.
1/8 might be tight if you get scope caps. If you use scope caps have them on and measure then oder your rail base or what ever you use to mount it. Don't use bondo it gets brittle over time , I suggest epoxy under the base mounts only and blue locktite for all screws for sight system good luck

You got a good gun from the start, they are capable of MOA accuracy all day long. I love talley rings with the built in bases. But why cobble a good gun up. Sell the talleys here. Buy yourself a pair of reputable bases for said gun. Now buy the appropriate rings in height needed. Now your back to Moa capable gun. IMHO, shorty..

Latest posts

Back