Lyman Rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nimrod

Reaction score
How many here shoot a Lyman Rifle with a 32"x 1/60 prb barrel in 50cal. What kind of accurecy are you getting out to 100yds and how do you like the rifle in general. And what does your rifle like .490 or .495 ball, with BP, Pyrodex, 777. I need all the help I can get :partyman:

Nimrod

I have that Great Plains Rifle with the 32 inch 1-60 twist in .50 caliber. But to be real honest, I have not shot it enough to tell you what it likes. I have shot 80 grains of Schuetzen 2f black powder and a .490 roundball. But only out to 35 yards so far. I think that Lyman's like the larger ball better ... the .495 and the .535 but I have to cast some to try them. Now that the snow is gone I might be able to get out and shoot again.

Nimrod said:
How is that Muley ? :goodman:

Not sure how to answer that? The Lyman GPR has a 1-60 twist, and a 32" barrel. Is that what you have?

I see you edited your post to 32".

Ok, i've had 4 GPR's. I loved them all, except the flintlock. They all shot very good, and the guns are built well. Sometimes the lock will hang up on some of them, but polishing the internals fixes it.

I shot mostly Goex and Swiss in mine. I don't like the subs in sidelocks. That's me though. I had the best luck with a .490 ball. I had to use a patch too thin to hold up with the .495 balls. They might be more accurate if you can get the patches from blowing out. I couldn't get anything thicker than a .010 patch down with a .495 ball. With a .490 ball a .015 patch worked well. I could force a .018 pillow ticking down, but I work with hunting loads, and I didn't want something that loaded that hard in the field. I used 90-100gr of BP 2F Goex, or 85gr of Swiss. The Swiss was the more powerful load even will that much less powder.

Accuracy was better than I could shoot iron sights with my vision. A 3" group for 100yds was my best day. Younger eyes could improve on that.

I shot some BP shoots with a GPR, and I used 70gr of powder. Easy recoil, and more accurate than the hunting loads. (if it wasn't too windy)

I have the same gun in .54cal 1in60 with sidelock. It shoots .535 balls and 0.010 patches more accurately than my iron sights and vision allow. It seems to like somewhere around 80gr FFG Pyrodex. I switched to musket cap nipples and it seems to shoot 777 without issue as well.

Latest posts

Back