Michigan members

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snapbang

Imlay City Michigan
Supporting member
Reaction score
I did get an invitation to do a survey for the Michigan DNR about deer concerns. At the end they asked for comments so I pressed the appreciation for a dedicated muzzle loader season. Maybe see to it that you let them know your concerns. Probably the only chance we will have to inject any influence, if it does!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't get an invite.... But I found out about the survey and googled it

I asked for a early muzzleloader season 1-14 November... And asked that they get rid of physical tags in favor of just just having blanks to fill with game kills (like in most other states I've hunted). Also suggested they give 2 restricted and two antlerless tags with one license purchase... So that there is no reason to let a doe walk (the real issue here is they want us to kill more does).

I've never gotten a survey in the mail, but I went and found and filled out the survey.

My remarks at the end:

"If I were King of Michigan Deer Hunting, there would be one season that would run from 1 October to 31 December. You could use any legal weapon of choice to shoot legal deer that you had legal tags for. No special seasons or other nonsense. There are so many special seasons it's pathetic. Let me use whatever legal weapon I want to for the entire season and shoot the deer I got tags for, period. How much simpler could you make it?"

Do my best Encore.
https://msu.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_eXsNAbpQLWJG65o

Edit. That is not the way it shows up on the copy link but somebody try it and let me know. It only says Ive completed it and therefore I cant access it again.
Took me right there.

There is a ridiculous amount of unnecessary different seasons.
We should return to just three (3) seasons, archery, muzzleloader and general firearm.
Muzzleloader season should be Nov. 1st through Nov. 14th. Also, the state should allow muzzleloaders that use smokeless propellants.
ELIMINATE ANTLER POINT RESTRICTIONS. We're loosing hunters way to fast, and those who may only be able to hunt on a weekend, have to pass bucks because of APR's. It deters those hunters from purchasing licenses in the following years.

Right or wrong..............................

Last edited:
I
<snip>

There is a ridiculous amount of unnecessary different seasons.
We should return to just three (3) seasons, archery, muzzleloader and general firearm.
Muzzleloader season should be Nov. 1st through Nov. 14th. Also, the state should allow muzzleloaders that use smokeless propellants.
ELIMINATE ANTLER POINT RESTRICTIONS. We're loosing hunters way to fast, and those who may only be able to hunt on a weekend, have to pass bucks because of APR's. It deters those hunters from purchasing licenses in the following years.

<SNip>
Overall I agree.

My other dig on Michigan deer regs are that they:
1: seem to treat hunters as if we are poachers who have to prove were aren't (the no guns in the woods 1-14Nov rule comes to mind a primary indicator here)
2: They are built to generate income... in most other states I've gotten more tags for less $... I encourage them to issue 2 restricted plus 3 unrestricted (ie doe tags) for the same combo license fee... this makes deciding whether to take a doe or to save a tag an easier choice than how it's currently structured (which is to maximize the DNR's income from us hunters).
4: I'm not against APR... too many guys slaughter the young bucks and let does walk. I'm a believer in letting the bucks grow big and harvesting big does to fill the freezer while managing herd size more effectively. But that is just my opinion.

I got the survey and let them know that muzzleloading should have its own season. The deer are so out of control now in my area that I am not sure it can be fixed. On a 186 acre farm last season I shot 8 deer, the owner shot 3. Of the 11 taken 4 were yearling males and 1 was a mature buck. At the end of the season we could still see over 50 deer in the fields at evening. The amount of crop damage is just ridiculous. I used the 450 BM all firearm seasons because most kills were double. The farm is surrounded by some acreage owners who trophy hunt, small lot owners who do not hunt, a powerline with no hunting and very large corporate farmers who lease hunting rights(and also complain the loudest about damage). Tho other day driving from Stockbridge to 96 I counted over 25 dead deer along M52. All large farms along that route. It is a very complex problem created mainly by unknowing government agencies and large businesses which are concerned first about money.

pardon my ignorance and this offers nothing to the conversation, but what does bump mean exactly? My wife is from Michigan and I go to her dad's dairy farm each year to hunt.........except for last year when it was too warm and none of the corn had been taken off due to it being so wet, deer are like rabbits in the north central thumb..............lots of them on the side of the road on M24, 46

Bump just brings the thread back to the front of the posts. Instead of falling to the back and being forgotten.

I live reasonably close (20 miles) to where your talking nodanlboone. You aren't exaggerating. I found out after season last year the neighbor had a block permit and killed 8 deer before season. started. I saw a pile of deer so I couldn't even tell. I live on 53 north of Imlay City and last night counted 11 deer from my living room chair. No shortage of deer here.

A lot of the things mentioned here are some of the reasons I quit hunting. I'm all for the big three archery, firearms, muzzleloader seasons, although my muzzleloader season would be primitive. All of the other BS can go away.

Back