Midway USA covering up CVA 45 cal junk.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
folks it's not just the 45s with messed up barrels . i was excited to get my MRX 50 at first but the barrel is horrible . so over bored it wont even hold a cleaning patch and there are pits and bumps up and down the rifling in the barrel . post 16 is where i noticed problems and a pic . hopefully midwayusa will let me return it and not keep my money and tell me to kick sand and go cry to cva .

click twiced to make the pic much bigger to see more detail

View attachment 29620

https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/mrx-50-arrived.55529/#post-524569

Does anyone know if these barrels are button-rifled, or are they hammer-forged? Usually only the higher priced barrels use cut-rifling.

Is your comment about LR and MR guns referring to the previous models or the LR-X and MR-X?
I have no idea why this reply is stuck in a dialog box for Bob G. Sorry
The LR-X and the MR-X and possibly the Paramount rifles. When the new power ELR [?] were introduced as the bullets for these guns. I haven't heard much of any grumbling from people who bought the earlier Accura MR's, just those people who've bought the "X" guns in the last couple years. When the Firestick and related rifle appeared, I thought that the whole mess was bogus and still do. When CVA came along with the new bullets and then the guns that relied on them to shoot much at all, I found that bogus. Maybe one of the sabot makers will come up with a sabot for the .45 and .50 cal over-sized CVA barrels so people stuck with the guns can find some relief, but I simply think it's just plain wrong for any gun company to make a gun, right out of the box, that requires a bullet or other component of their exclusive manufacture just to shoot the damned thing. Think in terms of the Knights that required the plastic primer sleeves.

I'm sorry, but I am old school and feel that when someone buys a gun, from any manufacturer, it should be good to go right out of the package it was shipped in: open the package, clean the gun well, scope it if that's what one wants, then go sight it in with commonly acquired factory ammo or components. Needing to use "this" specific" powder or this "specific" primer holder, or "this" specific bullet simply sucks. Now with barrels that are touted as being some of the best, CVA has unleashed a pile of crap and that I find equally unacceptable. I recently came into a Woodman Arms Patriot .45 cal. The McGowan barrel on that rifle is absolutely spotless and ready to shoot and that's how those CVA rifles of late should come. The requisite confirmation with Mark at Woodman will allow me to use light loads of smokeless and that is how I plan to shoot the gun. I've just picked up my 2023 range membership and range card, so I'll be getting started on a new adventure soon. I'll still take my other CVA's as is customary when I hit the range, all of which the plugs use vent liners, but that was my idea to do, not a mandatory or required thing just to shoot any of them. I think CVA went down the wrong path lately and it's too bad for the company, especially when the V2 models were just getting the company back on the right track.

just a heads up on my .50

just got off the phone with Shannon at MidwayUSA . she looked at the pic and she sent me a RMA with a prepaid shipping label and said they will refund the money since that's what i requested in the first e-mail . she was very polite and apologetic about what happened and said it will take a week or 2 for the refund to hit depending on the shipping time . i'm very satisfied with how MidwayUSA is handling this so far .

back to the .45 conversation .

Its a real shame because Bergara makes one of the best Rem700 "clones" you can get without paying a fortune for it. Their B14 series rifles are/were a fantastic value. The older MR ml other than the first/second year coating issue they had was one of the best light weight break actions anyone has offered. They got it right the first time other than the garbage coating they tried first. Shills on the forums were doing their best to keep that little error under wraps until nearly everyone that got one complained. Next year they switched to nitride.

Maybe the carbide button had been damaged or it picked up some metal during the swaging process from a barrel not thoroughly cleaned.
If you watch their videos a barrel like that should have never passed inspection. They claim each is hand inspected WITH a bore scope. They claim each barrel is held to within .0002 from end to end which clearly has not been the case with many complaints ive seen and that includes some Bergara CF rifles too.
A carbide rifling button is drawn through the barrel to produce the rifling grooves at the appropriate twist rate for each caliber. This produces a groove diameter deviation of less than 2/10,000 (or .0002”) of an inch

Its like they took their CF rejects and used them for MLs.
https://www.bergara.online/us/about-us/

I emailed CVA and asked them if they warrantied the new X guns and what group could I expect from a LR X gun

He actually told me to expect 2.5” at 100 yards from the LONG RANGE X gun😳

Said if I wanted 1.5” I should buy a paramount. 🤪

Warranty is “2 weeks”. No accuracy guarantee. Just have to return it within 2 weeks of purchase to get a refund. I might not even be able to shoot a gun within 2 weeks of purchase.

They are screwing themselves big time but trying to sweep these problems under the rug.

It is very sad to hear about this from our MML friends. CVA needs to fess up and admit / recall these poorly made ml’s. Mtn Monkey has written many articles about the CVA bore issues.
My own take as I have posted before. Many years ago I wouldn’t use a CVA pos. Maybe to take a long gun in turn it into a floor lamp.
Soft steel. Cheap springs . Crappy locks. etc.

Then they changed owners and changes were made.
A hunting friend ( whom I respect and uses quality equipment ) was using a CVA. I was very surprised. I noticed the new quality improvements.
Fit, trigger, barrel, finish and overall appearance.

I owned a Accura V2 50 cal that “wowed” in accuracy me .Trusted it. Gave it to my son.
Currently I have a MR 50 cal that is a great made accurate as well piece. Won’t part with.
So in summary I hope CVA hasn’t gone the route like Black & Decker did with their power tools or USA car makers of the 70’s.
Some suit cutting costs to add profits.
CVA take notice.

The gun industry is notorious for promoting “the latest and greatest“ version of something you most likely already have…be it a projectile, a cartridge, an action platform…

For instance and the exception:
Everyone is building a “better“ Glock pistol 🔫…..
Everyone but Glock…it remains the same since day
one…except for a texture or an internal spring.

To their own detriment CVA and other in-line manufacturers got things right then ruined it with improvements, got it right again and the cycle repeats…they’re in the “ruined it“ with improvements phase.

Some of the old obsolete CVA and Thomson guns are incredible accurate shooters and dirt cheap bargains…“Oh my! they need a tool to remove the breech plug“

It is well documented that the CVA Scout with CF barrels have ends that are "choked". I have one converted to muzzleloader. Some have insisted that I need to lap the barrel but it shoots very well. We inherited an old 30-40 Kraig one of our great uncles got after the Spanish American war and sporterized it. The barrel looks like gravel roads when the frost goes out in Maine. It shoots lights out......

WerI have no idea why this reply is stuck in a dialog box for Bob G. Sorry
I completely agree about the V2 rifles. I have an Accura V2 Plains Rifle in 50 cal that I bought in 2017 and it's a hell of a shooter and it's rifling is of the same type as these newer rifles with the twin micro lands. It's bore is a snug 50 cal and uniform from muzzle to breech.
I emailed CVA and asked them if they warrantied the new X guns and what group could I expect from a LR X gun

He actually told me to expect 2.5” at 100 yards from the LONG RANGE X gun😳

Said if I wanted 1.5” I should buy a paramount. 🤪

Warranty is “2 weeks”. No accuracy guarantee. Just have to return it within 2 weeks of purchase to get a refund. I might not even be able to shoot a gun within 2 weeks of purchase.

They are screwing themselves big time but trying to sweep these problems under the rug.
I just can't imagine what they're thinking at BPI. There is no way this is a sustainable business model. CVA all but fell off the face of the earth years ago because of poor quality control and it appears it's happening again.

Back