MRX 50 Barrel Fail

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffB1961

Reaction score
she's purdy and the front grip isn't gonna antagonize my partial OCD , hahaha . gotta wrap it up and hopefully get it sited in next week .
ordered the PRW2 1 inch rings also and they got some weight to them and appear very solid !
thanks to all the ENABLERS here !
20221221_125625.jpg
20221221_125652.jpg

Last edited:
Oh no, i tried to talk you into a MUCH cheaper Optima V2....cant blame this one on me!!!! :roll:

And the rings are probably about the least expensive of the options i see for sale atm. Warnes Horizontal and Vortex Pros would have been my choice vs the PRW2s but they jacked the pricing up.

the front grip isn't gonna antagonize my partial OCD

Well its only slightly off. Probably wont even notice it...........MUCH. :cool:

Last edited:
ok , i'll let you slide on this one ;) but the two scopes and the rings are ALL YOUR FAULT !

yeah , those vortex pros are twice the price , but they are available in true picatinny . PRW2 seem like the cheapest good option
it's a lot better than some pics i've seen and it's not enough to bother me .
but the truth will be how accurate it is . i'm not a seasoned ML shooter or CF shooter and i'm not expecting 1 inch groups right away at my (lack of) skill level .

Last edited:
i think it's advertised as free floated , but IMO none of the CVA break actions are free floated because the forearm is attached to a block welded on the bottom of the barrel and a screw or in the mrx/lrx a lever is used to attach the forend . it's just a wide gap . but the alignment of this one with the barrel to my eye looks better than the pic i took . across the top it looks fine .

Last edited:
i wouldn't expect 1 inch groups from me yet .
i plan on sighting in with XTP 250s and then comparing those groups with some TEZ 250s and some .458 monoflex 250s . hopefully both or at least one of them groups as good or better that the XTPs . i've also got some 290 TEZs that i kinda want to save just in case i get a chance (and want to) to go for something bigger than deer . but i'll shoot a group with them also .

how long have you been waiting for your's to arrive rob ? hank's says a 3-5 day shipping time ? i hope to sight it in next weekend .

how long have you been waiting for your's to arrive rob ? hank's says a 3-5 day shipping time ? i hope to sight it in next weekend .
Ordered it on Tuesday, called them for a question, they did answer and I heard the shop running in the background. Shipped right away, but the holidays will slow it down I’m sure.

Also ordered the scope rings as they look to be built like a tank. I’m going to try this setup with the stock konis pro scope and see how it goes. I suspect that scope may be getting replaced at some point down the line as well.

Got my tracking number from Hanks today So I guess my rail will be here next week . His scope rings do look really tough and durable but they are too expensive for me . I think my steel leupold drinks will do just fine

welllllll ......................... i called midway about sending it back . :(
i was cleaning the barrel and my cleaning patches kept coming off on the out stroke . they kept sliding off at the bottom seemingly as soon as i pulled back on the RR and i had to keep taking the breech plug out to push it out . there is also less pressure going down the MRX barrel with the jag/patch than the old optima . i was using my range rod , not the bunji that comes with it . i still haven't gave steve his 2003 optima back yet and i used the same CVA patches and rod on it and it did just fine , no issue at all . i looked in the barrel and the rifling is MUCH shallower than the old optima . Madison at midway put me on hold and came back and said she was gonna set it up but they want me to send pics of the rifling so i will do that . but i told her if i cant even swab the bore without having to pull the breech plug that that was a MAJOR problem and that i now have zero faith in cva guns . i was polite and didn't raise my voice or get crappy but i stressed that was absolutely not acceptable and mentioned the problems with the 45s and that i thought the 50 would be ok . this has not been shot yet , i was just cleaning it to play with it a little . anyhow , i'm disappointed of course , particularly since this was a gift . she said they'll be open monday so i'll e-mail pics tomorrow (and post them here) and hopefully it's a trouble free return .

yours looks better than mine but i see very shallow rings running down it also .
i don't remember if you shot your yet . if you did how's the accuracy ?

i know i don't want to try CVA again and i can't imagine midway will tell me my bore is fine .
i'll include a link to this thread when i send them this pic tomorrow .

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back