MRX 50 Barrel Fail

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yours looks better than mine but i see very shallow rings running down it also .
i don't remember if you shot your yet . if you did how's the accuracy ?

i know i don't want to try CVA again and i can't imagine midway will tell me my bore if fine .
i'll include a link to this thread when i send them this pic tomorrow .
I'm very sorry to hear that your experience with your CVA was not a good one. I sure hope that they recognize how badly they dropped the ball with their new line of " flagship " muzzleloaders & they learn something from it & make the necessary changes to correct this kind of thing from happening in their next models. The ginormous opportunity CVA/BPI had with their new Accuras & Paramounts & they totally fumbled at the 10 yd line. Its very sad to see happen & to the degree that it has, theres just no dang excuse for that IMHO

thanks for the suggestion deermanok , but as it is now it will be impossible to ever swab the barrel without a patch coming off and having to remove the breech plug and pushing it out and IMO that's entirely unacceptable . and i'm not at all interested in trying to fix a brand new ML .
BTW ... i did the scrubby pad trick with a .45 jag on the old optima and it got it a few shades of grey lighter ;)

thanks for the support and suggestions .

Last edited:
And now I see on their website that they say they can't accept returns for Muzzle loaders. But the lady I talked to said she thinks they could make an exception. I sure hope I don't have to send it to CVA because now I just do not trust their guns. If they say they won't let me return it and give me my money back I'll ask if I can return it And pay the difference to get a knight .

Last edited:
Last time I saw a surface like that was on July 21, 1969.
@ '61, I'm sorry this junk happen to a novice like you. We can all sense how passionate you've been leading up to your first BP Rifle..
If Midway doesn't help, perhaps contact Bergara directly?
There also might be a Bergara associate amongst our lead-grazing herd who can help.
How about making new posts with titles indicative of Bergara's crappy product with plenty of pictures.
I'd also consider a post on the sister forum The Muzzleloading Forum
Just remember the "greasy monkey gets the wheel"

Happy New Year to all!

LOL Hausser1 . i remember watching that .

DWM from what i understand they are all made by bergera but the wolf and optimas don't have the extra rifling passes to assure it's a premium barerel worthy of having the bergera label stamped on the barrel of the gun . obviousally CVA has a huge problem , there's threads and commenrts here (and other forums) about the horrible barrels on their 45s and there's a thread here about "Midway USA covering up CVA 45 cal junk"

https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/midway-usa-covering-up-cva-45-cal-junk.55526/hopefully i'll have the oppurtinity to share a different opinion on midway customer support .

i included a link to this thread when i sent midway the pic last night . robreds 50 mrx bore looks better than mine but it still isn't what i would expect in a "premium bergera barrel" . i don't know if he has swabbed or shot his yet and it will be interesting to see his results when he gets his thor sizing pack to try . i currently have zero faith in CVA and i just don't trust their guns now .

this mrx 50 is unusable . it's so over bored it won't even hold onto a cleaning patch and the rifling resembles the surface of the moon .

thank's for the support and letting me vent a litttle folks .
jeff

Last edited:
LOL Hausser1 . i remember watching that .

DWM from what i understand they are all made by bergera but the wolf and optimas don't have the extra rifling passes to assure it's a premium barerel worthy of having the bergera label stamped on the barrel of the gun . obviousally CVA has a huge problem , there's threads and commenrts here (and other forums) about the horrible barrels on their 45s and there's a thread here about "Midway USA covering up CVA 45 cal junk"

https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/midway-usa-covering-up-cva-45-cal-junk.55526/hopefully i'll have the oppurtinity to share a different opinion on midway customer support .

i've been very happy with my other midway purchases . and hopefully they will right this wrong and not just keep their money and send me packing . my thread right here has over 500 views currently so i know folks are watching to see midway customer support in action with a truly %100 major problem with a product they sold and i'm guessing some will use my experience in deciding if they want to spend their money there .

i included a link to this thread when i sent midway the pic last night . robreds 50 mrx bore looks better than mine but it still isn't what i would expect in a "premium bergera barrel" . i don't know if he has swabbed or shot his yet and it will be interesting to see his results when he gets his thor sizing pack to try . i currently have zero faith in CVA and i just don't trust their guns now .

my hope is that MidwayUSA will keep my faith in them .
i know they don't make these guns but in the thread i linked to it's obvious they know there's a problem with the 45s (and now their 50s) but rather than deciding to not sell these cva mrx 45 guns they just lower the prices to almost 2/3 of what the 50s go for .

i didn't sleep much last night because of my frustration over this and my extreme concern that something that was bought for me by a family member in poor health is not gonna be the the gift they got me to remember them by that i can take pride in .

this mrx 50 is unusable . it's so over bored it won't even hold onto a cleaning patch and the rifling resembles the surface of the moon .

thank's for the support and letting me vent a litttle folks .
jeff

Mine has been grouping well, that is until I shook the factory scope rail and rings loose and my scope was moving all over the place.

I just received a quality picatinny scope rail and have rings on the way. I will get back out to the range and put together a post showing the results and groupings with different loads.

Except for the stock rings and mount that sounds good Rob .

I was thinking this morning since it won't even hold a patch on the range rod that it probably won't keep a bullet seated on the powder. Which from what I understand can cause a catastrophic failure resulting in damage to the gun and damage to the shooter or worse . Am I correct on that ?

What bullet do you plan to shoot? I would try to push it down the bore and see how it fits. To remove it just pull the breach plug and push it out the breach.

If the bullet free falls because it's too loose than that's a dangerous situation because it could come off the powder charge and leave a gap. You need even resistance all the way down and a bullet that wont move when seated.

As far as your cleaning jag goes, do you think the patch is getting hung up on that roughness? How do you know it's oversized?

Ive said for years the "Bergara branding" and the extra 5 step honing is a sham. If it wasnt you wouldnt see barrels this bad. They just wanted an excuse to charge more. There is no way a barrel like that would pass air gauging after the (so called) extra 5 steps. Thats probably why you dont see Bergara mention any air gauging after the honing.....Oddly Green Mountain barrel does mention they air gauge their barrel blanks.

rifling in the 19 year old optima 50 for reference
View attachment 29603

rifling in new mrx 50
View attachment 29604
I'm sure I'm not the only one that can see the glaring problem here...instead of uniform lands the Bergara/CVA barrels have this odd twin "micro lands" design. No wonder they can't maintain a uniform bore diameter! What idiot dreamed this up? I know micro grooves are no new thing. Marlin used them in rimfire rifles for one but these aren't rimfire rifles trying to stabilize 38gr .22 bullets. This is a complete design failure.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that can see the glaring problem here...instead of uniform lands the Bergara/CVA barrels have this odd twin "micro lands" design. No wonder they can't maintain a uniform bore diameter! What idiot dreamed this up? I know micro grooves are no new thing. Marlin used them in rimfire rifles for one but these aren't rimfire rifles trying to stabilize 38gr .22 bullets. This is a complete design failure.
It looks, to me, more like worn out tooling than designed that way.

Except for the stock rings and mount that sounds good Rob .

I was thinking this morning since it won't even hold a patch on the range rod that it probably won't keep a bullet seated on the powder. Which from what I understand can cause a catastrophic failure resulting in damage to the gun and damage to the shooter or worse . Am I correct on that ?
That is why I smooth size all my bullets to fit my individual barrel to fit snuggly. I have a 2019 CVA Accura V2 Plains Rifle in 50 caliber and it too has this troubling "twin micro land" rifling. My barrel bore diameter is uniform in diameter but consider how little actual bearing surface these puny little grooves have...it's no wonder we all are having the issues we are. And my 45cal Paramount has the exact same land design.
I believe we have found the culprit. Whomever decided to abandon conventional land/groove design in favor of this mess should be held to account for it. This might be fine for 38gr. .22 bullets but it's sucks for this application.

Last edited:
Back