MRX 50 Barrel Fail

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks, to me, more like worn out tooling than designed that way.
Worn out tooling won't create the same design of rifling. Both my CVA rifles have it. The chatter marks in the grooves could be explained by the worn tooling as could the inconsistent bore diameters but not the rifling design itself. This was done by an engineer on purpose.

Worn out tooling won't create the same design of rifling. Both my CVA rifles have it. The chatter marks in the grooves could be explained by the worn tooling as could the inconsistent bore diameters but not the rifling design itself. This was done by an engineer on purpose.

Does it not stabilize bullets well for you? Not being a smart aleck I’m genuinely curious. Mine seems to work.

My MRX .50 groups ok, but not a MOA group by any stretch of the imagination, however I’m not a great shot (yet) not sure if I should be expecting more out of the gun or not.

I’m a dyed in the wool archery fanatic who really has only shot 12 gauge and .22 so this gun stuff is new to me.

Does it not stabilize bullets well for you? Not being a smart aleck I’m genuinely curious. Mine seems to work.

My MRX .50 groups ok, but not a MOA group by any stretch of the imagination, however I’m not a great shot (yet) not sure if I should be expecting more out of the gun or not.

I’m a dyed in the wool archery fanatic who really has only shot 12 gauge and .22 so this gun stuff is new to me.
My 50cal Plains Rifle is very accurate with several different loads but the bore is uniform and and a bit on the snug side. I love that rifle. My 45cal Paramount on the other hand is overbore at .4535 so regular .451 or .452 diameter bullets fall like a stone all the way to the breech plug. I can take .453 Fury 265gr STB bullets and knurl them between 2 files so they fit snug enough to stay seated but that limits me to 1 bullet that I have to manipulate just to be able to shoot it. And I have not been able to get that bullet to group well so far.
I feel bad for any unwitting prospective muzzleloader buyer that settles on one of these CVA turds.
I can guarantee you they have sold me their last rifle.

Last edited:
thanks folks . i'm not gonna put a bullet in it because i'm concerned it might leave a little piece/smear of sabot in it and they might not believe me when i tell them it was never fired . midwayusa says they have a 24 hour response time but seeing its a sunday and the first of the year i hope to hear something from them tomorrow . if i haven't gotten a reply by 2 or 3 i'll call them .

just got off the phone with Shannon at MidwayUSA . she looked at the pic and she sent me a RMA with a prepaid shipping label and said they will refund the money since that's what i requested in the first e-mail . she was very polite and apologetic about what happened and said it will take a week or 2 for the refund to hit depending on the shipping time . i'm very satisfied with how MidwayUSA is handling this so far .

Ive said for years the "Bergara branding" and the extra 5 step honing is a sham. If it wasnt you wouldnt see barrels this bad. They just wanted an excuse to charge more. There is no way a barrel like that would pass air gauging after the (so called) extra 5 steps. Thats probably why you dont see Bergara mention any air gauging after the honing.....Oddly Green Mountain barrel does mention they air gauge their barrel blanks.
Green Mountain is an American company that takes pride in their products. CVA just pumps them out and hopes for the best.

in case anyone is curious about the delivery time from Hanks the rail i ordered thursday arrived today .
i think that's outstanding delivery time considering it was during new years weekend . only 5 days from when it was ordered !
i'll put it up for sale here after i get the MRX settled .

Last edited:
:lewis::lewis: for MidwayUSA !

MidwayUSA sent a e-mail a few days ago saying the refund was approved and sent , and the refund showed up in the account today .
i couldn't ask for more . it was done in a timely manner and the people i spoke with were polite and eager to help .
this was CVAs fault , not Midways . but they stepped up . kudos to them !

used the same jag on the same brass range rod with patches from the same jar on a 50 optima with no issue .
look at the pic in post 17

That barrel should have never been put on a muzzleloader! I've never seen a barrel that looked like that! I've got an Accura V2 Lr and it's smooth and shiny! Sorry that you got a bad one! I've owned a lot of Cva muzzleloaders and I've never seen anything like that! Kudos to Midway for making it right!

I'm sure I'm not the only one that can see the glaring problem here...instead of uniform lands the Bergara/CVA barrels have this odd twin "micro lands" design. No wonder they can't maintain a uniform bore diameter! What idiot dreamed this up? I
Yep, what idiot dreamed up that rifling?

Marlin held onto their sorry Micro Groove rifling for decades despite the fact that it cost them sales. Then suddenly Marlin announced the arrival of their Ballard rifling, first used in the 1880s.

This is what the Rifling looks like in my two friend’s New Optima V2s 😡! Should they return them?
RobRed did you keep yours, if so did you Polish the Bore?
Shoot them. I'd bet they shoot fine.

Started following this post. I bought an Accura Mr-x .50 in November. Only got it to the range once using Whitehots a TEZ 250. Shot decent but wasn’t crazy with the whitehots after the second shot. I never looked at it hard down my barrel but got nervous when I read this post. Guess I was lucky cause my rifling and barrel looks smooth and shiny. No issues with barrel.

welllllll ......................... i called midway about sending it back . :(
i was cleaning the barrel and my cleaning patches kept coming off on the out stroke . they kept sliding off at the bottom seemingly as soon as i pulled back on the RR and i had to keep taking the breech plug out to push it out . there is also less pressure going down the MRX barrel with the jag/patch than the old optima . i was using my range rod , not the bunji that comes with it . i still haven't gave steve his 2003 optima back yet and i used the same CVA patches and rod on it and it did just fine , no issue at all . i looked in the barrel and the rifling is MUCH shallower than the old optima . Madison at midway put me on hold and came back and said she was gonna set it up but they want me to send pics of the rifling so i will do that . but i told her if i cant even swab the bore without having to pull the breech plug that that was a MAJOR problem and that i now have zero faith in cva guns . i was polite and didn't raise my voice or get crappy but i stressed that was absolutely not acceptable and mentioned the problems with the 45s and that i thought the 50 would be ok . this has not been shot yet , i was just cleaning it to play with it a little . anyhow , i'm disappointed of course , particularly since this was a gift . she said they'll be open monday so i'll e-mail pics tomorrow (and post them here) and hopefully it's a trouble free return .
Jeff I was having the same problem with my old spin jag with patches coming off shooting my Knight. It was a real PITA at the range having to put a worm on the rod to get it out. Turns out the little "teeth"/knurling in the jag was wore out. I switched jags and no more issue.
About those marks - I can't believe that Bergara would let that get thru QC. I can't complain about CVA though. I gotcan Accura V2 when they first came out and that shoots super.
I'm glad Midway is treating you right.

Latest posts

Back