Muzzle loader Scope

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GUN NUT

Reaction score
I have seen post that people state that you will destroy a regular rifle scope on a muzzle loader can someone explain this if it is true or is it some kind of myth. I just installed a Kahles 4x on my CVA optima elite but have not fired it yet and don't want to break it

I agree with the eye relief part and that many have great success running rifle scopes. From what I've read from members here is that a muzzy can be very hard on scopes. My opinion is that scopes break sometimes but maybe more so on high recoil weapons.

I have seen post that people state that you will destroy a regular rifle scope on a muzzle loader can someone explain this if it is true or is it some kind of myth. I just installed a Kahles 4x on my CVA optima elite but have not fired it yet and don't want to break it
I think that's bull ,my 3 renegades all wear Leupold 4x and needless to say my 2 inlines /Ed

After I posted this I googled search looking for info and seems the folks using about 150 gr of powder and inlines with heavy bullets are the ones breaking scopes I do not and will not ever shoot a load like that so I am sure I will be ok THX for the reply's

I too think its a myth. All my inlines sport regular rifle scopes of various manufacturers except one which has a Leupold Ultimate Slam. All function well.
This myth, IMO, came about by guys that bought a muzzleloader just to hunt another season which is fine. But then get the idea that " its only a muzzleloader so I'll just put an ElCheapo scope on it." Next thing you know he loads said muzzleloader up to max charge and the scope can't handle it. There are a few scope brands that are plain junk but I won't name them. Of course a few of these happen to hold up. At least for a while.

it is also recommended that you not use a lead sled. that will destroy alot of scopes.

ingramjets-

This is the first time I’ve heard this.

Can you elaborate, a little on this topic?

I don’t own a Lead Sled, and I don’t have any heavy kickers, so I will probably never own a Lead Sled.

I did run a magazine of .30-06 through my rifle on a Lead Sled once, just to try it out. It seemed awkward to me, and not needed in my case, so I just chalked it up to, “Well there- now I’ve done that!🤠

ingramjets-

I don’t own a Lead Sled, and I don’t have any heavy kickers, so I will probably never own a Lead Sled.

I did run a magazine of .30-06 through my rifle on a Lead Sled once, just to try it out. It seemed awkward to me, and not needed in my case, so I just chalked it up to, “Well there- now I’ve done that!🤠
The problems arising from using a lead sled is that people would load them up with weight to counter act the recoil. Well all that energy is transferred into the rifle. This can and will result in busted scopes and cracked stocks. The lead sled was a good idea but a poir design. If I were to design one it would have a buffering system to absorb recoil energy.

FWIW, I've had a Tasco Pronghorn 3-9X32 rifle scope on my .54 Cal Thunderhawk for over 20 years. This is my main hunting rifle. It's still working as designed.

I think the main issue with rifle scopes on a muzzleloader is eye relief. I don't have any issues with my scope.

Actually, the only difference in a designated "muzzleloader" scope vs. a company's regular rifle scope is sometimes the paralax setting.

Leupold, for example, used to factory pre-set the paralax on centerfire rifle scopes at 150 yrds., while shotgun & muzzleloader scopes were set at 75 yrds. (under the assumption that most shotgun/muzzleloader shots will be taken at closer ranges than the typical centerfire rifle shot at big game). Otherwise the mechanics used in construction are virtually identical.

THe only "guns" that are notorious for destroying even the highest quality conventional riflescopes, are piston driven air rifles. The recoil impulse from the air piston in these pellet rifles is vastly different than the recoil experienced in a conventional firearm, & is known to damage conventional scope reticles.

ingramjets-

I do not have a lead sled but the problem is it takes away the way your body absorbs the recoil because it is almost like a solid and the scope and rifle are not designed for that solid punch.

Actually, the only difference in a designated "muzzleloader" scope vs. a company's regular rifle scope is sometimes the paralax setting.

Leupold, for example, used to factory pre-set the paralax on centerfire rifle scopes at 150 yrds., while shotgun & muzzleloader scopes were set at 75 yrds. (under the assumption that most shotgun/muzzleloader shots will be taken at closer ranges than the typical centerfire rifle shot at big game). Otherwise the mechanics used in construction are virtually identical.

THe only "guns" that are notorious for destroying even the highest quality conventional riflescopes, are piston driven air rifles. The recoil impulse from the air piston in these pellet rifles is vastly different than the recoil experienced in a conventional firearm, & is known to damage conventional scope reticles.
loaded444bear , This is exactly what Leupold told me about 15 year ago when I called them an asked about the difference in scopes .

My cva came with a Konus 3x9x40 muzzleloader scope. I justed replaced it with a Leupold Ultimate Slam ML 3x9x40mm scope. Like how it is setup.

My understanding is that it comes from using heavy loads in "break action" muzzleloaders. I did have a GPO Passion 3x9 that lost ability to hold zero after around 50-70 shots from my Patriot. Now the Patriot is very light weight and I was shooting 78gr. by weight loads of BH209 and a 270 gr. bullet to bore out of the .45 cal Brux. This was a brand new scope, installed in the Woodman 1" ring and base setup. I have never used a lead sled, this was me shooting off my homemade sandbags only. I can't really say much about the GPO's ability to withstand recoil, but in this case it didn't hold up well.
Which made me sad, because I really like the scope overall. It has great eye relief, a constant 4" and was very clear optic, outstanding in low light ! I will probably put the replacement they sent me on a .204 Ruger that needs a scope right now since I stole it's Leupold for the Patriot.
By the way, since I installed a Leupold Vx3i 3.5-10x40 on the Patriot I have had no problems with it after a 100 or more rounds thru it.

Patriot GPO.png

Glad I found this thread as I'm considering the purchase of a scope for my Accura MR-X. I was wondering what the difference was between a regular scope and one specifically for muzzle-loaders. Wondering if the reticle used for a ML is unique. I'm looking at a Burris for example that has hold points for greater range shots.

Glad I found this thread as I'm considering the purchase of a scope for my Accura MR-X. I was wondering what the difference was between a regular scope and one specifically for muzzle-loaders. Wondering if the reticle used for a ML is unique. I'm looking at a Burris for example that has hold points for greater range shots.
I don’t believe and I’ve never read that “muzzy” scopes are built any tougher than standard scopes. I think the only difference in some are the reticles with hold over marks that may roughly match some arbitrary load trajectory. I never found those to be useful.

I think a guy is much better off just buying a quality well-made scope.

My understanding is that it comes from using heavy loads in "break action" muzzleloaders. I did have a GPO Passion 3x9 that lost ability to hold zero after around 50-70 shots from my Patriot. Now the Patriot is very light weight and I was shooting 78gr. by weight loads of BH209 and a 270 gr. bullet to bore out of the .45 cal Brux. This was a brand new scope, installed in the Woodman 1" ring and base setup. I have never used a lead sled, this was me shooting off my homemade sandbags only. I can't really say much about the GPO's ability to withstand recoil, but in this case it didn't hold up well.
Which made me sad, because I really like the scope overall. It has great eye relief, a constant 4" and was very clear optic, outstanding in low light ! I will probably put the replacement they sent me on a .204 Ruger that needs a scope right now since I stole it's Leupold for the Patriot.
By the way, since I installed a Leupold Vx3i 3.5-10x40 on the Patriot I have had no problems with it after a 100 or more rounds thru it.

View attachment 38733
Not if you buy Leupold /Ed

Yeah, I've never particularly understood ML specific scopes. I have centerfire rifles and shotguns that are way more violent to shoot. My optima with 120gr load is a powder puff to shoot!

Latest posts

Back