My first IL M/L Deer Season

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muzzle Man

Reaction score
Took me 50 years to try Deer hunting and I may be hooked. I have 2 tags and one day left, we are having ice and freezing rain tonight and into Sunday the final day of the M/L season. I have seen several deer, even took a shot at one and missed. I have learned a lot already and will try again next year, life has been very hectic and at times maddening for me as of late but going out there and setting in my blind, the quiet, birds chirping, Coyotes howling, Hawks and Geese flying over, it is good for the soul. I said going in I didn't care if I got one this year or not, I wanted to try it. My first day out I saw none, didn't mind, the peace and quiet made up for it, and also my 23 year old son is doing his rookie season with me and he is liking it too. My nephew is a seasoned veteran at 21 years of age , he has put me in a great spot, I just can't get close enough, the weather falling apart today didn't help our cause but no matter, we were both happy at day end, wet, cold , didn't even notice.
Oh no, tell me we're not hooked are we??? I will try again Sunday hoping to get one close shot, my TC is better than I am , the shot I took was within it's range, the 4 pointer seemed to laugh as he kicked the snow and get out of Dodge. I saw one Doe this morning, she was heading my way as planned by where we put the blind but the wind was howling and I think the flapping scared her, I was reaching for my gun at the same time so a combo of the two and she was safe, that would have been meat in the freezer but oh well. If it gets dark Sunday and I still have 2 unused tags left, I just won't care, it's food for the soul to be out there.
Maybe next year I'll get cranky if I don't get one, but then again maybe not, just trying makes it all worthwhile.

Joe

Deer hunting, especially with a muzzleloader is a great experience. Good luck with the rest of the season.

Like you said there's always next year. If you live in Illinois, you can use your unused tags in the late antlerless only firearm season in January if the county your tags are for has a late season.

Don

My county doesn't do that, it's 92% farm land, hard to imagine there are so many deer around here!

To finish the thread, I'll update it. I wasn't able to go out on the last day of Muzzle Loader season , my Mom is very Ill and I needed to be there. There will be more seasons for me so even though I missed my only shot, I call it a huge sucess. I'll try again until my body says I can't. Best wishes and congrats to you all for seasons past and future.
I got a late start in life on my Deer hunting career but I wouldn't miss it for the world. Thanks for reading. Next year maybe I'll have a sucess story to share!
Joe

Well this gives you all year to practice and plan for the next season.

My best wishes to your mother on a speedy recovery.

Back