My "Trail Marker" project

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smokin' Joe

Reaction score
My "Trail Marker" project

Here's a fun and worth while project that paid off for me.  Home made trail markers.  They work absolutely great for deer and turkey hunting.  After dark heading into the woods it looks like L.E.D. light bulbs strung in the trees.  You can see these for hundreds of yards,  if your flashlight can shine them you can see them.  They are hard to see in the bushes during the day time so they are discrete.  I usually pick mine up on the last day of the hunt on the way out when I can shine them out with my head lamp.  If I want to see them in the daylight I tie them to a branch with blaze orange trail marker ribbon.  They can hang on a branch or be clipped on which ever is easier at the time.  They work great when you get that late hit and need to go tracking or going back after dark to find your deer and drag him out.

I bought some 1/2" plastic underground sprinkler pipe, cut them to 1" and 2" lengths.  I wrapped them with 7 year DOT reflective truck tape, put some decoy cord and name tag clips on them.

I made a couple hundred and passed them out at deer camp to the gang.  The guys all love them.  I carry about 25 with me in my back pack.

Trail%20markers_zpshgiv5oud.jpg

Re: My "Trail Marker" project

Is this on private property Joe?

You'd get a ticket here on public land.

All my deer hunting is on public land.  Not a problem here in MN, however these aren't left in the woods after the hunt is over.  Trail marking tape is utilized quite regularly in the woods and most, if not all of that is never removed......unless I see it.  :D

My commercially made clip-on markers with a reflective orange "tail" are usually stolen shortly after putting them up. If I see them (they're marked) afterwards, I 'steal' them back. I have switched almost exclusively to "cat eyes" or "Nite eyes" which are thumbtacks. They show up good in the dark with a light yet are difficult to see in the daylight. I try to place them in the center of a gray or white patch on hardwoods.
I don't need them to find my way in the daylight.

Sounds like you guys need a GPS. When i'm walking in the dark i'm just going to a general hunting area, and find my way ok. I don't use stands, so i'm not looking for a specific tree.

I'm probably in the minority for not using a map, compass, or GPS when hunting/scouting. The unit I hunt is pretty big, but i've hunted it for so long I know it by heart now. I always get lost, but within 10 minutes I know where I am again.

Ask Jon when he came up here. I'd get lost, and find my way right away. Getting lost is fun.

Trying to find your stand at night in thick woods and/or swamp is difficult. Cypress heads are usually irregular in shape with narrow passages of drier land in between. It's never a straight walk in. Coming out in the daylight is simple, just go where the water, briars, thickets aren't.

This is what i'm dealing with. It's not hard to lose your way.

IMG_0539.jpg

Can't see the sky at night there due to the canopy?

If I get confused after dark in the winter, I know that Orion's belt is to the south and the lower it is in the sky towards the west, the later it is. It doesn't really help me to get out as much as to calm me down and give me a general orientation.

I need to find clearings so I can see the surrounding mountains. Then i'm ok.

Creeks help too.

Muley said:
I need to find clearings so I can see the surrounding mountains. Then i'm ok.

Creeks help too.
Most of the creeks here dead end in swamps. :cry:

Pato, I use the reflectorized tacks also if I intend to leave them there on a more permanent basis.  However, I use them to tack up a 1 1/2" square piece of DOT reflector tape which I put on plastic cut from a gallon milk jug.   I prefer the tubes because they can hang high on a bush away from big trees and be spotted from any angle.  

DSCN1030%20-1_zpse7mczcu6.jpg

Very cool ideas!

I pack a GPS these days or stick to well known trails when possible, but as long as you have a gps or a common sense of direction you normally are ok.

I do like that trail marking system for getting to a stand early in the morning dark though. That tape stuff stands out bright when a light hits it.

I thought that everyone in the US used the "cat eyes" thumbtacks. Go into any public hunt area down here after dark and you are met with dozens of them going in all different directions.
It's a good way to see if others have already found your "secret" honey hole.

I don't mind GETTING lost. 
I mind STAYING lost.:suspect:

I never hike anywhere without a compass. 
But, that is to GET OUT with if needed. :rabbit:
The stars are a comfort, but I don't lean 
on them.:star:

I may buy a GPS later this year to be ready 
for next winter. It depends on how dependable 
and easy to learn/use they are for me.
:study:

Get a Garmin. I've had Magellan, 2 Garmins and one I've forgotten the name of. The Garmins with a color screen have the ability to add Blue Chart, Topo maps, and many other options. The two problems with the one I have is it only holds 1000 waypoints and 10 (or 20) tracks. Whichever it is, it's too little. 50 tracks and 2000 waypoints would be about right.

If you have 2 fresh AA batteries for it, you can go anywhere including other continents. I have the marine charts for the Gulf of Mexico from Bradenton to new Orleans on mine. It shows all the charted reefs, rocks and hazards for the whole coast.

I really like your tube trail markers Smokin'Joe, especially because you can hang them and see 360 degrees.   I plan to make a few.   Thanks for posting ;)

I've always known where I was! I just never knew where anything else was!!

Latest posts

Back