New Lehigh 265 Copper ML Bullet

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabotloader

Keep Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a Blast
Supporting member
Reaction score
Grouse has already introduced you to this bullet and there is not a lot I can add to it, but I do have some information I want to add...

The bullet samples arrived this morning... I opened the package and looked at the bullets and really had as lot of excitement for them. The first thing I did was to try one in a 45 cal Super DISC... I was sure it would be to big but I had to try - it was to tight to load - I need a .4515 to get down the bore. From there I took the bullet to the shop to run it through a .452 sizing die. Lubed the bullet placed it in the die and tried to push it threw - not happening!!! So now I am back to what the bullet was intended for shooting on a 50 cal. ML.

When the bullets arrived and after my initial inspection I really wanted to get the farm and do some shooting - problem was mother nature was not co-operating - it was raining...on and off!!! Twice I made the dash to the farm as the weather was good in Moscow, but at the farm it wasn't... Finally around 2 in the afternoon the sun came out and everything was good! Made the decision that I knew the time might be short so I was just going to shoot a few bird just to see how the bullet would shoot from my rifle.

I immediately setup 4 birds - one at 75 yards and 3 at 100 yards. By the time I got the bench up and in place - things were changing... as this next storm started rolling in...

I really felt my time would be short before the rains would come again. I loaded up the first shot and sat down at the bench - set the rifle in a 6 O'clock hold on the 75 yard bird. To my surprise I shot the heart out of the bird!!! From there I moved to the 100 yard birds. The first two shots exploded the two birds... I load the fourth bullet and I wanted to make the adjustment to shoot the heart out of the last bird out. This time I held slightly below the bird and took the shot. Heart gone!!!

After this bird shooting it really appeared to me that I had time to get some velocities as well as punch some holes in paper that I really do not like doing. So I got the chrono and target set up. I set the target at 75 yards for the velocity checks. I was so pleased with the 75 yards results I decided to move the target to 100 yards. Got in two more shots with excellent results... and yes I really believe I got lucky! You noticed I did not take the third shot that might ruin the good thing.

After this first shooting event I would write a open note to Lehigh Dave stating for years I have always believed that the Lehigh/Bloodline .458x275 grain bullet was by far the best all-around bullet he had created. After this shooting I would easily say this new bullet could and will surpass the versatility of the older 275. Of course before I can stand on that statement - I need to see the 'Terminal Performance' of the bullet on a few animals.

I would also like to include a few additional pictures in this collection that might provide some additional information about this new bullet.

This is a picture that shows today work bench

Really hope to get out more for further testing - but the rifle deer season starts on the 10th. At this time I will use the new bullet for these hunts... and I know Grouse is using it in Colorado.

Availability of this new bullet - still is a question that I can not answer. I do know that Lehigh Dave is very conservative on releasing much of anything until the product has been proven.

That is great reporting, and shooting! Super consistent on the chrono... :D

I'm excited about these, can't wait to see some pics of how they do on deer. Based on the groundhog, I bet they are devastating. Looking fwd to eventually trying some out..and glad to hear they are looking at making them for the .45 :yeah:

WV Hunter said:

I'm excited about these, can't wait to see some pics of how they do on deer. Based on the groundhog, I bet they are devastating. Looking fwd to eventually trying some out..and glad to hear they are looking at making them for the .45 :yeah:

I am not sure the 45 thing will happen... but it would be something if they had a .451 version that you could load full bore in a 45. My Super DISC is .4515, so I could add a little knurling and a shot card/veggie wad for a gas check and would be shooting a great bullet.

sabotloader said:
WV Hunter said:

I am not sure the 45 thing will happen... but it would be something if they had a .451 version that you could load full bore in a 45. My Super DISC is .4515, so I could add a little knurling and a shot card/veggie wad for a gas check and would be shooting a great bullet.

I'm 100% positive the .40 bullets for a 45 will happen. The only reason they weren't first was cause of Colorado and time. For those that dont know Dave is going to Colorado with me this year and hes hoping to see his bullet perform on a Bull Elk. We are hunting public land with no guides but were gonna give it hell.

Sabotloader,
Thats awesome shooting and you definately shot them better then me. Cant wait to see how they perform on game. Ill shoot a couple Deer with them before going to Colorado and see how they work. Im pretty confident with all my testing there gonna work like i expect.

Grouse said:
Sabotloader,
Thats awesome shooting and you definately shot them better then me. Cant wait to see how they perform on game. Ill shoot a couple Deer with them before going to Colorado and see how they work. Im pretty confident with all my testing there gonna work like i expect.

Grouse - I have to tell you I think I got really lucky - that is why I did not shoot the 3rd shot at 75 and then at a 100 there was no way I was taking the 3rd shot.

Hopefully later this week I can get back to the farm and extend the range.

Is it possible to get a few of these and I'll do everything I can in trying to get a Bull also with the New Bullet. I'm going to Co. a week after Tom and Dave are out there. I also want to take my Win. 670, 30-06 I gave my grandson a few years ago. The 06 was my first anniversary present from the wife 39 years ago.

sqezer said:
Is it possible to get a few of these and I'll do everything I can in trying to get a Bull also with the New Bullet. I'm going to Co. a week after Tom and Dave are out there. I also want to take my Win. 670, 30-06 I gave my grandson a few years ago. The 06 was my first anniversary present from the wife 39 years ago.

I am not sure when they might appear on the web site... probably not until more testing is complete - Lehigh Dave is pretty conservative about putting something out that does not work to perfection... to me they work and really could work well.

This is a computed ballistic sheet for the bullet but... the BC may not be totally accurate yet as Grouse has not had time to shoot it across the two Chrono's. I calculated the a BC by using the internal calculator in the Barnes program. From my brief shooting the other day I do think it is very close. If you are using 120 grains of BH I would expect the velocity to be just above 2000 fps. This is without a tip... there will be tips in the future.

Back