NEW ML BULLETS

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cvilorio1

Reaction score
Well guys I know that I have not been here much lately, but I have been real busy working closely with LEHIGH trying to find a bullet to actually replace the Barnes with since they are being hard headed about selling them in bulk and want to raise the price. and I believe I have finally found not one but two. I spend most of the day today with Mike Cyrus from Lehihg and we shot both bullets at targets at 100 yrds, and also thru ballistic jell, and I was really impress with the accuracy and penetration and total performance. The tow bullets we shot today were the XP's 250 gr. .452, and the .458 300 gr. CF (control fracturing) both are great. the first pics are of the bullets, and as you can see the CF the petals just brake off, and the other one is the XP. The first three jell pics is the CF, the bullet or should I say the base went all the way thru the 16" of jell and if you look real good you can see how the petals broke of and expanded and yes they did exit the jell I only found one, the lats two jell pics is the XP and it also went all the way thru. Both bullets created a massive wound channel as you can see. The first target is the Xp's and the second are the CF's both bullet were shot with 110 gr. BH 209, and Harvester black smooth sabots. As far as I'm concerned both bullet will bring down anything you hit with them. Do not have them in stock yet, still working on that. I have a few XP's left, if any one wants to try them just let me know.
Carlos
ONE MORE SURPRISE SOON TO FOLLOW. :D :twisted:
NEWSMLLOADS040_zps9b8eb363.jpg

NEWSMLLOADS039_zpsd3b77674.jpg

NEWSMLLOADS038_zpsed88fd00.jpg

NEWSMLLOADS037_zpsb57d6d0b.jpg

NEWSMLLOADS036_zps5033cb90.jpg

NEWSMLLOADS034_zps42a466d5.jpg

NEWSMLLOADS033_zps7b2678fb.jpg

NEWSMLLOADS032_zps8426e5b1.jpg

NEWSMLLOADS031_zpsfddc1c1f.jpg

NEWSMLLOADS028_zps372e1c10.jpg

NEWSMLLOADS010_zps7a6f2e1e.jpg

AWESOME shooting buddy :!: :!: Great report with those bullets. They look like they have great penetration with the right loads. 
Appears to me that your having a lot of fun making these reports. Enjoy your self and make a lot of smoke. That's what it's all about :Red tup:

Ray.............

Great report, looks like you are having fun with the bullets and the video crew that was filming behind the jell pic. What were you shooting them with?

Dave

Awesome report Carlos, I can't wait until you have them in stock. Have any been shot in your SML?

dlethcoe said:
Great report, looks like you are having fun with the bullets and the video crew that was filming behind the jell pic. What were you shooting them with?

Dave
Dave I was shooting them with the ACCURA V2, and 100 gr. of BH 209, and the Harvester EZ load sabots. I know that Greg shot them with the orange sabots, but I thought I would give it a try with the Harvester and it paid out. I'm thinking that they could shoot better with the same sabot but the long one.

biddler2 said:
Awesome report Carlos, I can't wait until you have them in stock. Have any been shot in your SML?
Yes, I shot them in my SML and I have it loaded up with them to try out on deer hopefully soon, and they do shoot great out of it.

Carlos, Let me know when you get the 458/300 CF in, I was impressed with them when I tested at 100 and 200 yards, very accurate.

Dave

Carlos, what velocity ranges do these two bullets need for proper expansion?

Great report my friend & I'll bet I know what the surprise is  ;) I have been very fortunate to work with Lehigh & Mike & can't tell you what it means to have you on board as well. Dave & Pete have been involved as well but I've logged hours on he phone with Mike discussing testing & what we need by design, I have never had so much fun while learning at the same time. These guys at Lehigh are design GENIUSES!

patocazador said:
Carlos, what velocity ranges do these two bullets need for proper expansion?
The 300 gr. .458 all it needs is 800 fps in order for the petals to shear off. The XP is design to stay intact and it does its job at about 1000 to 1500 fps. The XP creates a tremendous amount of hyper static shock, the wound channel created by this bullet was 4" in diameter.

:scratch:

It's time for me to go. You guys are starting to talk too much "shop talk". ;)

Ray............. :Red tup:

GOOD LUCK HUNTING THIS SEASON :ttups: Next season you should try PRB an hunt for deer with iron sights. :slaps:

cvilorio, I always wondered what metal (composition?) Lehigh uses. Do you know... if not can you find-out  :?:

Marty said:
cvilorio, I always wondered what metal (composition?) Lehigh uses. Do you know... if not can you find-out  :?:
Marty, lehigh uses two different types of metal. The XP's are all copper and the CF are brass. I hope that answered your question.
Carlos

Marty, I've been using the .400 200 gr. Brass Leights and love them, I took a doe at 50 yds, bullet striking behind the eye and exited the top of the skull with such force it broke here neck.

A buddy of mine borrowed 1 of my .45 Knight Master Hunters and took a Big Kansas Whitetail at 165 yds. and drop him in his tracks with the .400 200 gr. Leigh. THEY WORK.

Carlos,
What distance were you shooting? Any 200 yard testing?
Thanks,
Chad

Ignore my 1st question, I missed where you said 100 yards. But still curious of any 200 yard shots.

Egts,
 I did a test on the Lehigh 458/300 gr CF bullet with the MMP orange sabots last week, (Trying a new bullet) That I posted. They were shot out of my ACCURA V2, at the 100 and 200 yard targets, with 110 gr. of BH 209. Believe me, I was very impressed with them for accuracy at both targets. 
Now seeing Carlos doing the test with the jell, I am more impressed with them

Dave

Carlos are you going to get them in 40cal for us 45 shooters or will they have to be knurled up to shoot out of the 45

Dennis STANKOVITZ said:
Carlos are you going to get them in 40cal for us 45 shooters or will they have to be knurled up to shoot out of the 45
I'm trying to get some .400 also, but right now I'm working on so many bullets that it might take a while.

interesting in new bullets, and how much will it cost in that leight bullets ? just curious

Back