New Rifle--New Scope

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yesterday, and today this New VX-2 seemed to work pretty good. It is my understanding that this scope is new for 2012. This one is a 2 to 7 power.

P1000143.JPG

What caught my attention was the fact that it comes prepped to use a cds dial. It cost me $60 to get the scopes around here reworked. Other thing that appealed to me was the weight, length, objective size, and lens coating.

Yesterday the 45 Omega was sighted in rather quickly, and at 100 yard the moa dial was set near zero.

P1000134.JPG

Today i wanted to start shooting at 200 yard, and the ballistic program say bullet must hit 4" high at 100 yard to be on at 200 yard.

P1000135.JPG

Then after shooting the 200 yard target with the 45, a move was made to 300 yard, and the dial set for 8 3/4" high at 100 yard. This dial setting resulted in the bullet holes on the 300 yard target.

P1000136.JPG

After seeing them bullet hitting some high, i figured the bullet left the barrel faster than the assumed 2200 fps.

P1000125.JPG

The holes left were made at 200 yard; holes right were made at 300 yard.

Included in the box with the scope was this card.

vx2.jpg

Once i settle on a load, it appear Leupold will make me a free cds dial to my order. Bullet will be 200g SST; sabot will be Harvester; primer will be W209; powder will be BH209, but the exact weight remains undecided. Perhaps 115g???

Very nice Ron , I don't recalll your post with the dream season. But of the dream seaon, X7 and .45 omega which shot the best at that distance. My range only goes to 100 , I would love to try longer shots but just can't.

Steve

Them rifle you mentioned all have a different purpose. The X7, i have always used in the timber, whether it be during muzzle loader season or rifle season. During muzzle loader season we can only use iron sights; the X7 with it's peep is a natural for this purpose. The scoped X7 is what is use for the hills rifle season, which is mostly hunting timber. This rifle has shot paper at 271 yard, and did good enough for me; better than most.

Because of them lion, our muzzle loader season in the hills became extinct. This year i wandered around out on the prairie with only iron sights. Somehow i got lucky, and was hunkered down in a shelter belt when some deer came close, and killed one using the X7 with a peep sight. There was also a special muzzle loader only deer season in a wild life refuge here, and whilst wandering around in the swamp, i managed to kill one up close with the X7. Later in the same season, i got lucky, and killed another out at the edge of the swamp and prairie, with the peep sight on the X7. That may have been a shot i shouldn't have taken; it may have been too far. Next season, the dream season will probably get a chance whilst hunting open country with iron sights, or perhaps the Knight Extreme.

Many days were spent this year hunting open prairie during rifle season. For this hunting i used the 45 Disc Elite. It put two deer into the freezer. Next season, if the rifles continue to shoot the way they are now, i will be using the 45 caliber Omega for this type of hunting. Reason being, it is more accurate than the Knight. Reason being it is lighter than the Knight.

The 45 caliber Omega is the most accurate black powder rifle i have ever shot. I have only shot it 28 times. Me thinks the burly barrel is what makes this rifle shoot straight. I don't know. Time will tell.

Nice report and congrats o the new rifle.

I wish I had access to a longer range. It would be fun to try some shooting at that distance.

Is it had to center the crosshairs with a 2x7, or any scope at 300 yards?

Back