New to hunting - just purchased muzzleloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VolHunter98

Reaction score
Hey everybody - I went muzzloader hunting for the first time last year. Only went once late in the season and didn’t get anything but it left me really excited for this year. Went with the CVA Optima V2 from muzzle-loaders.com with their genesis scope combo. Hard to beat that price point and it performed well when I went to sight it in this past weekend. I plan on going as many times as possible this year, but like I said I have only been once. Will do a combo of public and private land. Was curious if there are any “must knows” or just useful tips before I get out there this year.

Thanks

I'm not sure what you mean by must know?
I think you should familiarize yourself with the game laws in your state, that's important!
You don't want to get in trouble doing something wrong.
A topo map, compass are excellent hunting tools. Knowing how to use these can save your life and make for a good hunting experience.
Learn the woods and woodsmanship. Be a good steward of the land.
Respect wildlife and wild places.
These are must knows, imo.
Good luck and good hunting.

In addition to the above....
Know your gun and the components.
Know what your capabilities are: effective shooting range, ability to remove a dead animal, etc, what your body is able to withstand or tolerate.

Welcome Volhunter. One important thing is to clean the carbon out of your breech plug often. 209s leave a lot of hard carbon buildup in there and will mess with accuracy, could happen in as few as 10 shots.
What have you used to clean your plug?

Hey everybody - I went muzzloader hunting for the first time last year. Only went once late in the season and didn’t get anything but it left me really excited for this year. Went with the CVA Optima V2 from muzzle-loaders.com with their genesis scope combo. Hard to beat that price point and it performed well when I went to sight it in this past weekend. I plan on going as many times as possible this year, but like I said I have only been once. Will do a combo of public and private land. Was curious if there are any “must knows” or just useful tips before I get out there this year.

Thanks
Welcome to the sport, enjoy your time in the woods.

Welcome from north central Indiana

Welcome from Virginia!

I use a couple of things to clean my breech plugs - a drill bit, torch tip cleaners for the flash hole and a small glass jar with a lid. I use the drill bit to scrape carbon in the primer pocket, the torch tip cleaner to scrape carbon in the flash hole and then soak the breech plug inside the glass jar filled with Hoppe's #9.

IMHO soaking a breech plug after shooting BH209 is key to removing the carbon buildup. Work smarter, not harder.

Welcome to the Forum! 🤠

I originally came for info on the CVA Optima V2 pistol. Got lots of good info, liked the Forum, and stuck around!

Lots of knowledgeable, helpful folks here. 👍

Also one on the most “polite” Forums on the ‘net!

Back