Noble 686 primers with BH209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omega45

Reaction score
I went out this morning with a forum member on Hunting Net and did a little shooting. Weather was overcast with no rain and light rain at times. I had bought a pack of Noble 686 primers from Gander Mtn on Sunday and wanted to try them with BH209. My .45 Encore Bergara barrel breech plug was modified and will accept a PR vent liner or Lehigh vent liner. A PR Bullet vent liner was used today. A metric o-ring was used in the primer pocket for a crush fit with zero blowback. The Noble primers worked excellent with BH209. I did find by trying a Noble primer in my Knight DISC they are just like the Fiocchi primers, too fat to work. They measure in the area of .300 to .302 in length. Here are a few groups shot today at 100yds.

1st group of the day. Hornady SST in Harvester smooth sabot, 100gr BH209, Noble 686 primer
utf-8BU1NUIE5vYmxlLmpwZw.jpg

Barnes 195gr MZ in Harvester smooth sabot, 100gr BH209, Noble 686 primer. 2 covered holes were 2 200gr XTP's in MMP tans with 100gr, definitely not grouping.
utf-8BQmFybmVzIE5vYmxlLmpwZw.jpg

Top group is 3 155gr General Copper bullets in Harvester smooth sabot with 90gr BH209. Low 3 is same bullet/charge in MMP tan sabot. These 2 groups shot with Fed209A.
utf-8BSU1HMDAwNDYtMjAxMTA0MTktMDkxNy5qcGc.jpg

Here is the breech plug.
utf-8BSU1HMDAwMzUtMjAxMTA0MTQtMTExMS5qcGc.jpg

Thanks...Nice report :yeah:

Any deer/game results with the Barnes 195's ?

Thinking about trying them this year...They are shooting the best so far out of my .45 Elite with the lighter charges (90gr of BH209). The Lehigh 185 & 200's are more accurate with 110 to 120gr of BH209. All loads were with Harvester smooth blues and W209's or Rem STS primers with the Lehigh B/P.

I shot a doe with a Barnes 195 MZ and 110gr BH209 last year. Absolutely devestating results!! Picture shows the entrance side.
IMG00236-20101128-0818.jpg

Nice report! 8) So....did the Member have you oil the barrel or not?? :shock: :lol:

No oil. I snapped a primer and swabbed it out. Your silly Bat....... :lol:

I am not sure what church Gander goes to, but it is definitely not mine.

Ive used the Fiochii and Nobel primers and the PR vent in a modded CVA type plug too. Looks like it was also counter sunk the same amount . It worked fine with BH209 and the primers are very reasonably priced in my area.

They wont fit any of my current plugs though. :( I may have to see if i can mod my GenI plug just for them. Its tight (ID) with most primers anyway.

sqezer said:
nice looking gun there omega, just love them there TH's :D

I remember when that one was for sale. IF i would have realized it was a 45cal....well you get the idea. :D I have a sever weakness for the 45s and laminate TH stocks.

That one is really a beauty. :yeah:

Back