Old Photo

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh man! Love those old skool camo patterns! And all that snow. I miss hunting in snow, real snow, 1’ or more! Great times
I don't see the snow during hunting season like I did 20-30 years ago. I surely do miss getting on a fresh set of tracks or following a bright red blood trail.
Global warming likely the culprit.

I look back through my photo album every now & then just to reminisce. Brings back alot of good memories. Congratulations! I miss hunting in the snow too. Nothing like following a bright fluorescent red blood trail laid down in the white stuff.

This photo made me recall the hunt as if it were yesterday. My friend in the photo was going to do a push for me. I saw him cresting the ridge and saw 3 deer bust out of the laurel below him. He saw them too and dropped down on one knee. He was about 200 yards away and the deer came down the mountain on my left obscured by a rise. I watched him shoulder his muzzy and saw the smoke and then heard the shot. A few seconds later a doe came in my direction then turned to sneak back up the hill walking straight away from me. I had a good solid rest on a 4' high stump and was following her waiting for her to turn one way or the other. When she got about 75 yards away and about to disappear I settled the front bead just below the base of her tail and touched off the shot. When the smoke cleared she was lying in the snow stone dead. I made a perfect Texas heart shot barely cutting the skin on her rectum but cleaning house all the way up her body cavity. Normally I wouldn't have made that shot and I wouldn't today but that year we weree shooting our flinters a lot and I was very confident in the shot placement. My friend's deer dropped after running about 20 yards he told me.

I bet that was a mess gutting her!
Not too because it was cold. Now last week I shot a nice buck with my bow. It was quartering away and just after starting time. In the low light I didn't see the twig my arrow hit. I ended up hitting him just forward of the hind quarter and angling forward. I gave him about 2 hours before tracking him and found him about 150 yards from where I shot him. The arrow drove in an angle from the right hind quarter to the front left shoulder and went through everything in between and was lodged in the body cavity. It was bad enough that the Rage did a lot of internal cutting but I had to cut a lot just to get the arrow out of him so I could remove the entrails! NOW THAT WAS A MESS.

Last edited:
I hear ya. Age does come into play when it comes to bowhunting cold and snowy weather. Lotta fine holdover bucks taken though in those low-pressure, late bow seasons. If still able I'll likely hunt those seasons if/when crossbow is legal for me.

Back