Omega revamp

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For me there were a lot of things about the Omega when I first picked it up and I mean the original factory version by TC I just did not like the triggers ,to me are marginal I know they can be tuned a little bit and it helps,, I found the grip to be real short and I have a small hand and a small body but I would have loved a little bit more space in the grip and it was like the pull length was odd,, but when you take it out and shoot it and the bullets are all clumped up in a hole all of those little flaws disappear quickly the original rifles were pretty amazing for me because of just how simple they were there's not much to an Omega you look at it it won't take long to see that it is also a testament to what a good Barrel can do I believe a lot of those original omegas had very good barrels I'm not sure who's barrels they were Woodman arms presentation of a replacement barrel capable of smokeless loads ,,well just about turn that little rifle into one of my favorites now. That first Omega Barrel upgrade that Mark sent me shoots everything but the kitchen sink it would probably shoot that too if I could get it loaded up I guess all of us have preferences on rifle function whether it's break open or bolt gun I'm sure a bolt Action Man,, Above All Else I am a accuracy man, all the little things about a rifle I may not like fade real quick when it starts shooting consistent quarter inch groups,, the quality Barrel is everything in a muzzleloader one thing about Woodman arms it's going to have a good Barrel on it

That’s true, I paid 200 for one when they came out.real accurate guns,but slugs are crazy expensive.I actually reload sabot slugs now but I always hunt with my muzzle loaders . I can’t seem to sell anything and I probably should, make some profit for sure
Apologies for going back in the thread a bit, I'm looking at reloading saboted slugs but finding it hard to get the components. What are you using for the reload and where do you get supplies? Any help appreciated.

Apologies for going back in the thread a bit, I'm looking at reloading saboted slugs but finding it hard to get the components. What are you using for the reload and where do you get supplies? Any help appreciated.
Ballistic products has quite a bit of stuff..and leon Guthrie just picked up the hammerhead slug company and will have supplies soon as well they mimic the old light field slugs

Ballistic products has quite a bit of stuff..and leon Guthrie just picked up the hammerhead slug company and will have supplies soon as well they mimic the old light field slugs

Thank you!!

I can't speak for South of the Border but up here in Canada Saboted slugs are so expensive at about $7 plus taxes CAD a shot. I had the chance of a 220 this year but turned it down because of the cost of the ammunition. One of the issues for those shooting ML's in Ontario is that we can't travel with the gun loaded. Loaded here is having powder and bullet in the barrel so we can't simply remove the primer at the end of a hunt and leave it ready to hunt the next day if we have to travel to and from the hunting ground.

The 220 or H&R allow you to clear the breach without firing a wasted shot or taking a wrench to the BP. In Southern Ontario there is no rifle hunting for deer so the saboted slug is a good option for some. I think if I were to go that route my choice would be the H&R in 20 gauge, the 220 in standard form is too much plastic for me. But then I think I like my Omega too much to go down that rabbit hole !!

Thank you!!

I can't speak for South of the Border but up here in Canada Saboted slugs are so expensive at about $7 plus taxes CAD a shot. I had the chance of a 220 this year but turned it down because of the cost of the ammunition. One of the issues for those shooting ML's in Ontario is that we can't travel with the gun loaded. Loaded here is having powder and bullet in the barrel so we can't simply remove the primer at the end of a hunt and leave it ready to hunt the next day if we have to travel to and from the hunting ground.

The 220 or H&R allow you to clear the breach without firing a wasted shot or taking a wrench to the BP. In Southern Ontario there is no rifle hunting for deer so the saboted slug is a good option for some. I think if I were to go that route my choice would be the H&R in 20 gauge, the 220 in standard form is too much plastic for me. But then I think I like my Omega too much to go down that rabbit hole !!
I’ve had both the h&r and the 220..cost here is about the same..5$ a shot..and honestly limited to 200 yards. You’re welcome to pm me if you’d like to talk more about them. Hate to hijack this thread

I buy my sabots and gas seals from gun servicing in Bordentown nj, Emma young is her name.i use xtp bullets 4

Attachments

• IMG_0689.jpeg
    IMG_0689.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
I buy my sabots and gas seals from gun servicing in Bordentown nj, Emma young is her name.i use xtp bullets .if you buy your components from her she will give the recipes they have used through the years

Definitely looking forward to this. When you say serious smokeless loads would you say it’s comparable to a bolt gun? That alone is a winner in my book..a short profile rifle such as the omega with the horsepower of a bolt gun sounds very appealing.

Light fields were real accurate and hit hard to 100 yards, after 100 they fell to the ground fast.if you miss judged yardage by 20 yards .say 120 , you shot way low.couple of my friends had cases of them .great short yardage slugs

Light fields were real accurate and hit hard to 100 yards, after 100 they fell to the ground fast.if you miss judged yardage by 20 yards .say 120 , you shot way low.couple of my friends had cases of them .great short yardage slugs
True but the other saboted slugs on the market with .45 or .50 cal bullets fall off fairly well out at 150…with my savage 220 I can keep it in a 6” circle at 250 yards..but it drops a ton..30” plus or so..and well Below 1k foot pounds of energy. If I knew I was gonna shoot out past 100 yards the 220 stayed home and I just brought the muzzleloader then I realized at that point for those 100 yards and closer shots the I might as well just use the heavy hitting lightfields

Also get your roll crimper from precision reloading. I have them from other vendors such as ballistic products.the one from precision is a 4 pin and it works great.best of luck

Latest posts

Back