Omega vs. CVA

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christopher Pippert

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a question about the relative quality of 2 rifles.

I've hunted deer with my TC Omega X-7 several seasons out of the last 10 or so years. It shoots pretty tight groups and is pretty fun to shoot. (I put a scope on it last year.)

I was lucky enough to "win" a CVA Optima V2 at a DU fundraiser last winter.

What I don't know is if there is a significant quality difference between the 2 rifles that would warrant the time and cost to get the CVA up and running for this fall? (If not, I'd probably sell it.)

I know this might be a little subjective, but appreciate any input. (I'd rather have just one go-to muzzleloader that is dialed in and reliable.)

Thanks in advance!

Chris

My stock CVA Optima V2 groups very well using 75g(weighed) of BH209 under a Hornady 295g Bore Driver bullet. I just put a smokeless barrel on my Omega and have yet to shoot it.

Well this choice is all up to you. If you feel confident in your Omega than keep it and sell the CVA in as new condition. It all depends on what your budget decides. But to be honest I'm with you I never had an Omega but my CVA Accura V2 is an awesome shooter. I'm sure if you tried the CVA you might be pleasantly surprised how well it shoots.

If I were you I’d keep the CVA and sell me the X7!! 🤣
@Christopher Pippert what ElDiablo means is if HE were you, then you(he) would sell ME the Omega. Cuz he knows ive always yearned for an X7. ElDiablo is a great guy.
Seriously tho, i have two Omegas, two Optima pistols and one Accura rifle. The Omega is an awesome rifle, but so are the CVA rifles(Optima and Accura). But they aren't making Omegas anymore.
I agree with 1874Sharpshooter, tho, you really should keep them both.

I have, and like, both both.
Here in Colorado we are not allowed to hunt with scopes. The comb on the Optima is too high for me to comfortably shoot with open/peep sights, and CVA doesn't sell a stock with a lower comb. Therefore, the Omega is my go-to hunting rifle.

Hi,

I have a question about the relative quality of 2 rifles.

I've hunted deer with my TC Omega X-7 several seasons out of the last 10 or so years. It shoots pretty tight groups and is pretty fun to shoot. (I put a scope on it last year.)

I was lucky enough to "win" a CVA Optima V2 at a DU fundraiser last winter.

What I don't know is if there is a significant quality difference between the 2 rifles that would warrant the time and cost to get the CVA up and running for this fall? (If not, I'd probably sell it.)

I know this might be a little subjective, but appreciate any input. (I'd rather have just one go-to muzzleloader that is dialed in and reliable.)

Thanks in advance!

Chris
Personally, I'm a " if it's not broken, don't fix it" kind of guy and it sounds as though your Omega is a more than capable rifle for your needs. I seriously doubt the Optima will out perform the Omega. Were you looking to replace the Omega before you won the Optima? If not that would tell me all I need to know. However, as has been suggested, having a back up rifle makes very good sense and the Optima would make a great rifle for that purpose. If you don't need the money you could get by selling the Optima, I'd keep it. I have never regretted having more rifles than I actually need. My wife on the other hand would give different testimony to be sure!😂

I am an Omega owner. Right now I own 3 of them.
A few years back I helped one of my buddies set up his CVA Optima. I thought it was a great gun. I liked the break open access to the breech plug. Much better access than the Omega. I also like not needing any tools to remove the plug. A very easy gun to take apart and clean w/o tools. We got his gun to clover leaf at 100 yds with 300 gr SST's and 100 vol gr of BH209. (It was the first load we tried. No need to waste any more bullets or powder that day.)
Either gun, you can't go wrong.

I like Omegas, in fact I think they were TC’s best inline, but I prefer the simplicity of break open guns for hunting and I prefer a gun that’s lighter than the Omega for carrying.

Personally I think any of the V2 CVA models or those standard guns using the QRBP are fine. They're accurate and easily maintained. The agree with just about any powder you dump down the barrel and the host of bullets is vast that work well with them. When CVA got hot to trot and went in the wrong direction with the fancy shmancy stuff, I think they stepped on their own dink and took themselves downhill. I find it hard to support CVA's guns outside of the Optima and Wolf.

The Omega is a nice gun too. But look at it this way.... you didn't have any costs getting the Optima so why not keep it?

Latest posts

Back