Out of the Box, factory Muzzleloaders.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grouse

LIFETIME SUPPORTER
Supporting member
Reaction score
I hope i can help someone out on buying a Muzzleloader. Don't get caught up in the hype about Muzzleloaders. There are plenty of good Muzzleloaders to use. Don't feel you hafto own a Savage, or an Omega to enjoy Muzzleloading at all. That is so far from the truth. Knight,T/C,Savage/H&R are manufactures that i own to date. Those four companies are leading the industry in Quality Muzzleloaders as far as I'm concerned. I just got done shooting a NEF Sidekick with open sights. What a nice gun for the money. If your looking to spend a couple hundred Bucks on a Muzzleloader, this is a good one. http://www.chuckhawks.com/nef_sidekick.htm

The knight Disc Extreme was the first Inline Muzzleloader i ever owned. What a really great ML it was. To date, i killed more game with the Extreme then i have with all other Muzzleloaders combined. Very well made ML for the money. IMO

The Knight Disc Elite is another one of my favorites. And boy she can shoot. Knight no longer makes this ML anymore. :cry: If you run across one of these don't hesitate to get one. There proven shooters. IMO, It's the least complained about Muzzleloader on the INTERNET. http://www.chuckhawks.com/knight_disc_elite.htm

The T/C Encore is the one i always seem to grab. It's compact, short and light. Perfect for Tree stand hunting and running around the woods on a Quad. I love this gun. It to is a very good shooter. The down side to the Encore is, They are very expensive. It's real easy to drop $700.00 bucks on one.

I don't own one, but i had alot of fun Shooting a White Super91 last month. What a really fun gun to shoot. Looking for some information on Whites, Talk to Big6x6,Super91,Batchief, or Loggy.

Last but not least, my Savage 10ML-II. Mine is not an out of the box Savage. I just feel i need to mention some benefits. I have an HB Savage. When you start looking at cost. It's pretty cheap to shoot a Savage. Less powder, and less cleaning ARE the first things that come to mind to me. I have a friend who ruined a Black Powder Muzzleloader buy not cleaning it properly. This would be just about impossible with a Savage shooting Smokeless powder. There are plenty more benefits to the Savage. http://www.chuckhawks.com/sav10ML-II_syn.htm

I'm no Outdoor Writer that's for sure. But, these are my honest opinions on some Muzzleloaders that i own and use. You don't need to spend alot of money on a Muzzleloader to enjoy the sport and have alot of fun.

:D Good overview there Grouse! I started with a CVA believe it or not! In fact, took some nice deer with them. I now own the Savage, Knight, White (In-Lines) and 2 TC's (My Flinters).

By the way, anyone lookin for a damn nice Laminated Savage 10 ML-II, I just put up a post up down in our Buy, Sell, and Trade. :lol: :lol:

Tom,
EXCELLENT article! I can't say that I disagree with you on ANYTHING!

Good report and it is true you don't have to break the bank to do this. I love the Encore, Savage, and other new rifles but fortunately for my pocketbook the 209 ignition and sealed breech is not legal in WA where I hunt with muzzleloaders.
My Knight LK93 in .54 and T/C Black Diamond in .50 are about the state of high tech that meet the criteria WDFW requires. Which is OK by me. Both are fine rifles and certainly up to the task of accurately sending that non-jacketed lead projectile downrange.
Both are stainless/synthetic with fibre optics. I put a Williams peep on the .54. Good setup for my aging eyes. Bought the knight for $120 used off the Huntamerica board and the the T/C Black Diamond is a warranty replacement for a Thunderhawk that had a messed up barrel. I bought the Thunderhawk for $120, off 24hour board or HA board also. Musket cap ignition on both.
I sent my Knight trigger to be adjusted a week ago and it came back as a newer (made in USA) model in less than a week. The sear wasn't adjusted correctly and about 5 minutes on the phone with the wonderful tech guy Len and it was good to go. They are sending me some free bullets for my "trouble". What trouble?
Support is amazing from all of the shooting industry companies that I've dealt with.
So all that to say that if someone shops around a little they can have a high quality muzzleloader and the necessary extras for less than $200 if they shop carefully.

TC thunderhawk and Firehawk can be had reasonable and have been good shooters for me. Also the 2 H&R Huntsman rifles I sighted in for smoe friends were very good and can be had reasonable.

Tom, I just sent your post to one of my son's friends who wants to get into ML, but can't afford an Encore or some of the more expensive ML.

Thanks...Ed

I bought a LK93 off an auction site (based on a big 6x6 tip). $97.00 including
shipping. When I do my part, :shock: it shoots 2" groups at 100yd.s with open sights 8) . It is now my go to gun....There are bargains out there for people who willing to look 8)

Charlie

chas said:
I bought a LK93 off an auction site (based on a big 6x6 tip). $97.00 including
shipping. When I do my part, :shock: it shoots 2" groups at 100yd.s with open sights 8) . It is now my go to gun....There are bargains out there for people who willing to look 8)

Charlie

Chas, The NEF SideKick is a great deal also.

Latest posts

Back